Proposed Commuter line in Danger

fivedayrental

Proposed Commuter Line May Be In Jeopardy Tue Feb 7, 4:20 PM ET

Corridor One, the proposed commuter rail line from Lancaster to Carlisle, is in danger of losing federal money.

The project's planners need to present an operating budget to the Federal Transit Administration by Sept. 30 or risk losing funding.

So far, Cumberland County has been against the $87 million project. But Dauphin and Lancaster counties support the plan.

www.wgal.com

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Proposed Commuter Line May Be In Jeopardy Tue Feb 7, 4:20 PM ET

Corridor One, the proposed commuter rail line from Lancaster to Carlisle, is in danger of losing federal money.

The project's planners need to present an operating budget to the Federal Transit Administration by Sept. 30 or risk losing funding.

So far, Cumberland County has been against the $87 million project. But Dauphin and Lancaster counties support the plan.

www.wgal.com

from what i've read, it seems that Cumberland wants to seeis economically viable by first having the east-shore part running and see how many passengers use it and to se if it is profitble or not.

I actually don't see this line as being economically viable. I've taken Amtrak through that area and the numbr of rail commuters is low. Granted, they might come out of the woodwork if a cheaper commuter train were availbale - but I doubt it.

Linking Lancaster to the western end of the SEPTA R5 line would be a much better bet.

Archived