Commodore06

GoldRiver

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do weekly posts for class, I guess that doesn't count since only my classmates see those (haha). I have not seen any recent Vandy topics on here for me to contribute my two cents.

Well, since we have this thread at our disposal, could you give us an update on the projects on campus. I'm a grad from '92 (OMG, I'm old).

And welcome to the forum.

Well, since we have this thread at our disposal, could you give us an update on the projects on campus. I'm a grad from '92 (OMG, I'm old).

And welcome to the forum.

The biggest project on the Vandy Campus is happening on Peabody with the Freshman Commons. All freshmen, beginning in the fall of 2008 will be housed there. The university will build 5 new dorms in the Jeffersonian style architecture that exist on Peabody. The first phase is well underway with two of the five being built now. Last I checked that outer shells of both were completed. These two new dorms will be open this coming fall. Starting this summer, Gillette will be gutted and renovated. The other existing dorms on Peabody will be remodeled before the fall 2008. Also, the Hill Center is being completely renovated and will be an awesome student center and dinning hall for the freshman.

On main campus, Buttrick Hall was gutted and expanded. It is a welcomed addition because this was once an eye score in the middle of campus. Now, we just need to work on the Central Library (haha). Next to Buttrick is the new engineering building Featheringgill, finished in the fall of 2002. Behind Buttrick, the Black Cultural Center was remodeled and expanded as well.

The school is currently begin constructing the University Commons (includes the Jewish Life Center, Student Life Center, and the Studio Arts building), the area across Memorial. The new student life center is not a very interesting building and not very functional for student use, which you would think since it is called the student life center. However, it has a very nice large ballroom and of course the Board of Trust built a room in this building, which is nice and student groups can also use the room. The one redeeming quality about the student life building is the art work inside of the building and the use of brick and other natural materials in the interior of the building. Across from the student life building is the new studio arts building. I thought I would like this building more when I saw the renderings of it, however when built it kind of fell short of my expectation. However I do like how this building is different then most building on campus. The student life and studio arts building form this new plaza, which needs some finishing touches such as trees. Eventually, the commons will expand and I think that perhaps the University Club building will be gone in a few years and replaced by something else. If I remember the long term campus plan correctly.

Across the street, the baseball field was renovated in 2002 and now they just finished the building a new baseball facility on the site and expanded seating along the third and first baseline. During last spring semester, the university did some improvements to the tennis courts so that we could potential host SEC tournaments and rounds of the NCAA. My freshman year in 2002, the soccer stadium was completed and is a very nice facility.

On the medical center side of campus, Langford is being remodeled as we speak and on top of it a new medical research building is being constructed. At the entrance to the medical center (Garland and 21st) the school is building a facility that will be home to this huge magnet for medical research. Also, there are rumors that the school wants to build another pedestrian bridge across 21st, but this probably will not happen until the Freshman Commons is finished and up and running.

Which actually brings me to a new point, does anyone knows what will be built across from Vanderbilt on 21st Ave on the site that houses University Plaza (across from the Baker Building, I believe 21st and Terrace). The building has been closed for months and there is a fence around the property?

There has been so much construction on the Vandy campus in my four years, that I have not mentioned all of them. I would be more than happy later on this week to post some pics for you of the new stuff on campus. I hope this was some help.

Thanks for the update. I did get a peek at the Peabody Commons... and it's huge. The plan is nothing short of stunning, and it should spur some more life in that corner of the campuses.

I've wondered if there would be a second ped bridge... although with just frosh living at the 'bod, then will most of their classes be held there? If so, then there won't be as much foot traffic across 21st at peak times... so maybe a second bridge wouldn't be needed. Anyway, I think the first bridge is cool looking. When I lived over in West (aka Waste) Hall as a Sophomore, I used to eat breakfast at Hill. Will there be a smaller version of Sarratt in the new Hill Center. They need something to bring the crowds.

Have you heard of any plans for the grassy lawn areas along Blakemore/31st?

Archived