Sounds pass on 3rd and final!

Onyte9

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was wondering about somethin though... with the new Sounds stadium facing the river, will they hafta start fishin out homerun balls? heh... or is it not as close to the river as it seems from the renderings?

I think the rendering of the ballpark displayed elsewhere on this site is a little outdated.

According to a very preliminary plan I saw at a presentation the developers gave last summer, the river would basically parallel the third base line. The view over the outfield walls from behind home would be to the south and not toward the skyline. The Gateway bridge would be very prominent in this view.

The reason for this orientation is because of the rock outcrop on the south side of the property. It will be expensive to move that much rock. The developers suggested they might even cut just enough out of the outcrop to put in the field, leaving a large rock bluff in left and center field. A 'Rock Monster' similiar to the Red Sox 'Green Monster' which as most know is an extra high portion of the outfield wall, will be created. I presume there will be padding along the lower part of the bluff to keep Milwaukee supplied with healthy outfielders.

STL is the one of the best cities to visit that I know of (and I've been around). But the rest of this is negative.

I totally disagree with linclink because I've lived there. 1 out of every 3 people living in STL do not have car insurance. STL has been a top 5 city in crime for years; gangs there are really beginning to make a (negative) impact. Crime is bad even in the 'good' neighborhoods.

With the exception of efforts on Washington St. (CC and bars) and Laclede's Landing (riverfront, more bars) the city is a ghost town after 5 pm. Roads in DT - horrible (my truck hates me when we go back to visit). Mindset of people there - this is a great place (western and southern 'burbs), I would never move to another city; but I don't want to go to DT for anything, it's too far. Kinda like Brentwood and Murfreesboro attitude here - except much more extreme. The true up and coming DT for STL is not the city, but actually Clayton (location of County gov't offices) - it even has an impressive skyline

Some friends of mine from STL came down to Nashville last Fall and we proceeded to go downtown to eat supper at 6:00 on a Saturday night - they were scared, no petrified, at the thought. Needless to say, Nashville left a huge impression on them. There's not enough money to get me to walk in DT STL after 5 pm. I won't tell you the horrific story of a lady I worked with when she left work at 5:30 one day.

As for the ballpark, the political fighting, finger pointing, etc. for the new stadium was entertaining for lack of better words. Cards owners demanded a new stadium be built - or they would leave. The City of STL has very little money for this. East STL and 2 western suburbs made SERIOUS bids to move the park - to avoid DT STL. City leaders wanted a 'development' like Nashville is doing. STL City people were opposed to using city funds. City 'burbs refused to help. Rural people were opposed to state funding. One sign I saw read "If Cards builds roads, we'll build a stadium".

I'll shut up now

STL is the one of the best cities to visit that I know of (and I've been around). But the rest of this is negative.

I totally disagree with linclink because I've lived there. 1 out of every 3 people living in STL do not have car insurance. STL has been a top 5 city in crime for years; gangs there are really beginning to make a (negative) impact. Crime is bad even in the 'good' neighborhoods.

With the exception of efforts on Washington St. (CC and bars) and Laclede's Landing (riverfront, more bars) the city is a ghost town after 5 pm. Roads in DT - horrible (my truck hates me when we go back to visit). Mindset of people there - this is a great place (western and southern 'burbs), I would never move to another city; but I don't want to go to DT for anything, it's too far. Kinda like Brentwood and Murfreesboro attitude here - except much more extreme. The true up and coming DT for STL is not the city, but actually Clayton (location of County gov't offices) - it even has an impressive skyline

Some friends of mine from STL came down to Nashville last Fall and we proceeded to go downtown to eat supper at 6:00 on a Saturday night - they were scared, no petrified, at the thought. Needless to say, Nashville left a huge impression on them. There's not enough money to get me to walk in DT STL after 5 pm. I won't tell you the horrific story of a lady I worked with when she left work at 5:30 one day.

As for the ballpark, the political fighting, finger pointing, etc. for the new stadium was entertaining for lack of better words. Cards owners demanded a new stadium be built - or they would leave. The City of STL has very little money for this. East STL and 2 western suburbs made SERIOUS bids to move the park - to avoid DT STL. City leaders wanted a 'development' like Nashville is doing. STL City people were opposed to using city funds. City 'burbs refused to help. Rural people were opposed to state funding. One sign I saw read "If Cards builds roads, we'll build a stadium".

I'll shut up now

Yeah... I agree... DT STL is totally different than DT Nash after dark. Way too many dark corners lol. STL is closer to my hometown than Nash... but I still chose to come here... cuz it seems to have a lot more potential.

I've heard a few bad stories too... especially about East STL. Can you imagine if they built the new stadium there? I worked there one time in the daytime and was kinda a lil spooked hah. Made sure to leave before dark.

But anywayz... I do like the new stadium they are building a lot... and think it'll be a huge change for the STL DT area... hopefully will spark some kindof new development trend there. It's definitely needed... there's a lot of nice buildings that could be renovated and something done with.

This is a great time for Nashville in general, I plan on moving their after college soon! But one question, what is going to happen to the old stadium? Are they going to demolish it and put something else in?

On the topic of Saint Louis, my dad lives in Belleville (which is a 'burb of STL, and probably the same as Franklin/Bellevue here.), when ever we went to Saint Louis I always had a good time. Went to the Arch, Went and checked out the colleges up there. Which btw, I checked out Webster University in Webster Grove...O.M.G talk about awesome, the area had the "village" feel to it, I was so close to applying there..but instead I went for the State Lottery and I'm just going to go Vol State lol. (Also..Washington University was AMAZING!) And STL had Forrest Park ,like the equivalence of Central Park in NYC, which was amazing as well. So yeah, I liked St. Louis; its not a bad town everyone makes it out to be.

Well,

I've only visited. But the impression I had was completely different. Everywhere I looked downtown buildings were being converted into lofts. Downtown was BEAUTIFULLY landscaped, and looked like it was REALLY taken care of. We were there for a convention and we walked the streets and went to restaurants and outdoor cafes in downtown at all hours (from morning till about 11pm). At no moment did I feel unsafe, and I was there with my 3 small children. Forest park is unbelievable, any city would be proud to have it. All the historic buildings were really spectacular in downtown. And lofts were SUPER affordable! I will say this though... the riverfront could use some cleaning up. But other than that, my experience was very good. And from an asthetic point of view (I can't argue on how safe or unsafe it is, cause again, I was there for a week only), I think its a very beautifull city.

Bellville/Fairview Heights is kinda interesting because they kept rents high enough to keep East STL put. The area would be more like Murfreesboro here. They are FINALLY getting I-64 expanded from I-255.

This is going from out towards DT. Webster U. is a great place and nice area. Wash U. is comparable to Vandy, a little more exclusive; U. City/surrounding area is a little shaky. Forest Park - again, leave before dark. SLU on Grand is nice, but fenced off with 24 hr security.

The only part of DT that is landscaped really well is Market St area around the Old Courthouse - that area is spectacular. I had my wedding pics there with the Old Courthouse and the Arch in the background - wonderful pics to say least. Again, they have made some strides in the right direction (Eades Bridge, CC area, and WW I memorial). The old library is a gem. But I wouldn't venture off Washington St at night - you really do put yourself at risk. General rule applies everywhere though, as long as there are other people around, you're probably ok...

STL has a lot of DT problems to overcome. But...STL is a fun town. Bars are open 24x7 accross the river in Ill. Great food at The Hill, avoid Imo's pizza...

It really depends on where ya go I guess... There are certain areas that you just don't wanna get lost in (like East STL and parts of DT). But there area other areas that are pretty nice nowadays. I do recall quite a bit of lofts being built/renovated last time I was there... which was a lil while ago... so maybe it has improved a lot recently.

I went with a friend to look at apartments in DT STL once... and ran across some really nice loft-style ones... that were newly renovated with nice new fancy appliances. Original hardwood floors (for the most part) in a really old kinda historic building. Really awesome looking apartments... and the whole building was almost totally leased. Affordable rent too.. I think around $700? I was still a lil iffy on living DT though lol. Here's the website for em':

http://www.themerchandisemart.com/

I don't know if Nashville has anything like these yet or not.... but it would be nice to see someone do somethin like this. I really like the idea of living in an old building thats been reborn, but with the old feel to it still.

And I know we have gotten WAYY off subject (thanks to me) lol... sorry bout that :D

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of more articles from the Tennessean and the City Paper regarding the Sounds Stadium and the fact that they will have to wait one more year before playing at the new stadium. I think this may be a good thing and will allow more planning and input form the community. They are in fact standing by their word to hire minority contractors and being a good citizen.

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cfm?se...s&news_id=48202

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../603020388/1001

Archived