Will Burlington get a new high-rise office building downtown?

cityboi

Greensboro seems to have had the highway (probably historically dirt roads) infrastructure and much more in the way of educational opportunities than Burlington did back 100-200 years ago. Greensboro also drew Jefferson-Pilot and other major business, which back then, drew more people and more businesses. All Burlington had was textiles and Western Electric. LabCorp wasn't major in the area until the early-mid 1990s.

Alot of insurance agencies located thier headquarters to G'boro when the railroad came through. Back in the 1800s Greensboro was like Atlanta's Hartsfield International Airport. If you ever took the train you always had to come through G'boro, it was always a major stop. G'boro was described as the rail hub of the southeast almost. This is what led to explosive growth and alot of companies locating there. Then came the roads and the airport. This has what has led to Dell and FedEx. A recent article in a regional magazine says that with companies not locating to Atlanta anymore because of congestion but they will locate to G'boro because it is in the middle of it all and "untapped." G'boro is located 650 miles away from a little bit over half of the nation's population. G'boro is in a transformation from textiles to logistics and high tech manufacturing.

• 9 months later...

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 9-story building is owned by LabCorp and is occupied during the day. Nobody lives in the middle of downtown Burlington and there is really no retail/residential in it's heart unfortunately. The area, however is busy to congested during business hours. I was surprised, after reading the story below, that 1100 LabCorp employees alone come into downtown Burlington daily for work. Makes me wonder (with banks, restaurants, shops, parks, law and medical offices, etc) how many people really work downtown.

LabCorp dedicates downtown Burlington HQ prject

Here is a posting outlining plans for DT Burlington revitalization, as well. Even if these plans don't work, I still think we will hear more and more good things come out of Burlington, as well as the rest of Alamance County with respect to economic development. Having LabCorp is already huge.

DT Burlington revitalization

• 3 weeks later...
The 9-story building is owned by LabCorp and is occupied during the day. Nobody lives in the middle of downtown Burlington and there is really no retail/residential in it's heart unfortunately. The area, however is busy to congested during business hours. I was surprised, after reading the story below, that 1100 LabCorp employees alone come into downtown Burlington daily for work. Makes me wonder (with banks, restaurants, shops, parks, law and medical offices, etc) how many people really work downtown.

LabCorp dedicates downtown Burlington HQ prject

Here is a posting outlining plans for DT Burlington revitalization, as well. Even if these plans don't work, I still think we will hear more and more good things come out of Burlington, as well as the rest of Alamance County with respect to economic development. Having LabCorp is already huge.

DT Burlington revitalization

Archived