Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

waynehead

What's happening on Hammond Rd?

There's a lot of land being cleared on the western side of the street near the Rush St intersection (to the north) and on the eastern side (to the south). Could this be a high density residential development, or could it be another wal-mart? Inquiring minds and all...

I don't know, but after years of being overlooked development wise. That area is really heating up. I know the State and city own a lot of that land. So I suspect much of it will be used for civic type uses. But don't be suprised if some high density residential pops up.

I did a little search on Raleigh's devlopmental plans site and it looks like either an industrial park or a detention center annex.

Here is what has been approved on Hammond:

7/23/2002 S-67-2002 Hammond Center

5/25/2000 SU-7-2000 Wake Co. Satellite Jail Expansion

3/22/2000 SP-70-2000 Wake Co Jail Expansion Barbour

2/15/2000 S-17-2000 Lot 6 Hammond Industrial Park

1/18/2000 SU-1-2000 Wake County Jail Expansion

11/6/1998 SU-15-1998 Wake Co. Detention Annex

I did a little search on Raleigh's devlopmental plans site and it looks like either an industrial park or a detention center annex.

Here is what has been approved on Hammond:

7/23/2002 S-67-2002 Hammond Center

5/25/2000 SU-7-2000 Wake Co. Satellite Jail Expansion

3/22/2000 SP-70-2000 Wake Co Jail Expansion Barbour

2/15/2000 S-17-2000 Lot 6 Hammond Industrial Park

1/18/2000 SU-1-2000 Wake County Jail Expansion

11/6/1998 SU-15-1998 Wake Co. Detention Annex

Told ya. Poor south Raleigh. All of the worst dev. get's dumped in that part of town. It's the Staten island of Raleigh.

I think the jail annex has already gone up near the intersection of Tryon Rd, although it's possible they're building more than one structure for the jails, so if it's not that then I guess it's the industrial park...ugh.

I think the difference between "detention center" and "jail" is that the DC is for people being processed, on trial, etc. while jail is longer term. One annex (detention center?) is already out there, and I think the other construction is for more jail cells. The N&O has run a few stories about how the current setup's population is always over 100% of capacity due to growth in the area. They want to fix that to avoid more riots, etc. On the weekends, you can hear the prisoners from the Davie/Dawson intersection since that seems to be the right height and there are no structures in between.