Save the 615 Peachtree Building!

Andrea

Okay, why would they go through the investment of demolishing the building if they were not absolutely sure they were ready to move forward on construction?

I wasn't a big fan of 615, but it's better than another empty lot - something that Atlanta has way too many of already!

That ticks me off. Is it Novare?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is how we end up with vacant lots dotting the urban landscape. If this project is cancelled, Cousins will hold on to the land and then try to sell it and it will be a big cycle. Meanwhile, the land sits vacant for 5, 6, 7 years while money is trying to made.

I still say if they were not ready to pour a foundation, they should have left 615 up.

I hope this teaches the city a lesson. Sweet-talking developers will come at you with grandiose plans and an arrogant confidence that they have what it takes to get everything done, and with a reassuring attitude that they have the city's best interest at heart. But it's all a front. Their plans are a house of cards, and the second something goes wrong it collapses and their true colors show through - they're only concerned about their profits and if that means sitting on a vacant lot for years then so be it.

This is why you have to be very, very careful with teardowns for redevelopment, particularly significant ones like 615 Peachtree.

Don't commercial developers have to think about their public image as well? I know any business has one objective when it comes down to it...to make a profit. But leaving a bad taste in people's mouths or bad feelings or even a big bad empty lot on Peachtree can sometimes be dangerous. Image IS everything...

Nick, I know I quoted you, but this reply is to the last couple of posts...

I'm suprised that people seemed suprised by this. Sadened maybe, but suprised? Commercial developers sole mission is to make a profit, especially if they are publicly held companies such as Cousins (which I believe is a REIT). Anything they do is geared toward that goal. Involving themselves in community relations is a means to an end...the end being a profit. Cousins postponed this project when they felt market conditions had changed and the risks were higher then they could reasonably justify. Not defending them, just "keepin it real".

• 3 months later...
You don't think the 7 factors I've listed demonstrate the significance of 615 Peachtree's architecture and its historical relevance? You may not personally like its style but surely the building meets any objective criteria for architectural and historical value.

If not, what, in your opinion, would it take? Surely we're not at the point where we tear down high quality, well maintained, high functioning, energy wise old buildings in the heart of our cities just because we don't find them visually au courant! Especially when they epitomize the style, scale and aesthetic of an earlier, more graceful era.

Archived