Sign in to follow this  
PJA

Aiken County

The City of Aiken has appointed a new president of the Chamber of Commerce. David Jameson has impressive credentials and has been in the chamber of commerce and economic fields and has helped other cities' economies thrive. Here is the full article.

Full Article

2500 jobs may be headed to the area. The Three Rivers Solid Waste Garbage Dump in Aiken Co. has been using an alternative fuel called ethanol which is developed from garbage and wants to use the source to help fuel 15,000 cars and trucks per year. Here's the full article.

Full Story

There is a chance that property owners in South Carolina may no longer have to pay property taxes. This would definitely help the housing market in North Augusta, Aiken and surrounding areas if this passes. Aiken County already had one of the largest if not the largest real estate boom in the Augusta area. Here's the full story.

Full Story

Savannah River National Laboratory will open a new center on Monday near Savannah River Site. This lab is going to be essential to the conversion of fuel operated cars, to hydrogen operated cars. Here's more.

Full Story

PJA, I can definately believe the housing boom in Aiken co. is leading the Augusta metro. I noticed tonnes of land being bulldozed in several areas off I-20 before exit 5 in Belvedere/North Augusta. Not to mention Hammonds Ferry development and all those homes in and around Aiken.

North Augusta will be getting a new Municipal building soon. They have outgrown their current building and have already acquired the land to begin building. Here's more info.

More Info

Aiken plans to build a connector road that will connect Whiskey, Pine Log, and Powderhouse roads. This will help to alleviate traffic in the heavy commercial district of Aiken. There are a few ideas being floated around and the public will get to vote on which one they would like.

SRS may be the home of a new demo nuclear recycler which could bring many jobs and a lot of tax money to the area. It would be years before the project is complete but the impact can be immediately.

South Carolina lawmakers want to pass a bill called the Retail Revitalization Act that would give business owners a 25 percent tax credit if they choose to open their business in a vacant building instead of building a new one. This is to help curtail the amount of big box vacant shopping centers that are popping up. This could lure business away from the Augusta side of the CSRA but many people believe it will cause GA lawmakers to come up with a similar plan.

Aiken will be getting a Sam's Club and a second Wal-mart Supercenter. The new Wal-mart will be located on Richland Avenue at the University Parkway intersection on the northwest side of town. A location for Sams hasn't been decided as of yet.

Wow its about time the Augusta/Aiken metro gets its 2nd Sams Club. Ive heard the Augusta Sam's is one of the busiest stores in the SE. I think Augusta really needs a Cosco though...maybe that will be next?

Wow its about time the Augusta/Aiken metro gets its 2nd Sams Club. Ive heard the Augusta Sam's is one of the busiest stores in the SE. I think Augusta really needs a Cosco though...maybe that will be next?

My mom said the same thing about Cosco. Augusta is still missing a lot of national retail chains.

yeah it is about time and I agree about the costco, I think only Atlanta has it though. it seems to be a trend that if Atlanta has it for a while, then one or more of the Fall-line cities get it next.

As far as national retailers, I agree too, Augusta still has a long way to catch up to the rest of the Southeast cities. I'm glad to see Aiken continuing to grow, even though the 2nd walmart did seem a bit much to hear, but with aiken's growing population, it should be sustained. A sams club and even another Best buy or circuit for the area would benefit also.

Charlotte and Myrtle Beach have Cosco's too, and the Greenville area has a BJ's. Id say Cosco blows both chains (Sam's and BJ's) out of the water though.

Charlotte and Myrtle Beach have Cosco's too, and the Greenville area has a BJ's. Id say Cosco blows both chains (Sam's and BJ's) out of the water though.

Hey, Charleston also has a Costco . . it's great! I agree . . MUCH better than Sam's.

Two new housing developments are coming to North Augusta. One is a mixed use development which will include homes, apartments and retail and office space and will be called Hamrick Farms. The other will be called Wando Woodlands. Here are more details.

Here's an update on the new Municipal Building planned for North Augusta. It will be a four story 66,750 sq. ft. building. Hopes are for the building to start by the end of the year and to be ready for move-in by 2008.

Full Article

The U.S. Department of Agriculture has awarded Beech Island a $200,000 grant to build an agricultural museum. Work is set to begin this summer.

The Kimberly Clarke Mill in Beech Island is expanding which will make it the the company's largest mill. This will also bring about 300 jobs to the area.