Aiken County

PJA

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it's quite likely. The communities (Graniteville, Warrenville, Vaucluse) seem to support it. If it does go through, I doubt Graniteviille would be the name of the new community, just due to the fact that it would be the combination of several old communities. For ego's sake, a new name would probably be in order.

If this does happen, I'd predict Aiken, North Augusta, and Graniteville to all be fairly close in population in 10-15 years (between 25000 and 35000).

I drove through Graniteville (By accident) a few months ago trying to get to Aiken from Belvedere. The actual town was very quaint, (without much of a Downtown area) but was totally centered around the huge Avondale Mills, which recently closed. If they did incorporate as a city, it would be wonderful if they used part of the old Mill as a mini, Atlantic-Station like mixed use development. Not all of it, since parts of it have been bought and are being re-used by other companies. Seems like it has so much potential.

There's threads on this, but the easiest way to display a photo is:

1) Set up an account at a free image-hosting site.  imageshack.us and photobucket are 2 common ones.

2) Upload photos to that image-hosting site.  The site will generate a url for your photo.

3) When composing a response on urbanplanet, include the url of your photo in the format shown below.

[img=http://www.urlofyourphoto/photo.jpg]

All you're really doing is putting the  tags around your photo url.

Members with at least 100 posts can also host photos on this site.

There's threads on this, but the easiest way to display a photo is:

1) Set up an account at a free image-hosting site.  imageshack.us and photobucket are 2 common ones.

2) Upload photos to that image-hosting site.  The site will generate a url for your photo.

3) When composing a response on urbanplanet, include the url of your photo in the format shown below.

[img=http://www.urlofyourphoto/photo.jpg]

All you're really doing is putting the  tags around your photo url.

Members with at least 100 posts can also host photos on this site.

Thanks for the update. Although I'll always bemoan the loss of my favorite movie theatre ever on that site, this project looks great in downtown. On a crappy note, that entire retail space (4 spaces) on ground level will be used as a real-estate office. Freakin waste of space. I'd love to have seen 4 new restaurants and/or shops to anchor that side of Laurens.

• 2 months later...

Hammonds Ferry in North Augusta is shaping up nicely. As Topher said in the SC threads, they are building these 4 floor structures in the middle of the development which I am guessing will be condos with street front retail. They look so impressive mixed in the the houses being built.

• 3 weeks later...

I was in Augusta last night and noticed driving through Downtown North Augusta one of those buildings under construction. It is an expansion of that large church on Georgia Avenue but from the looks of it part of the building will have street-level retail. Maybe I was a little tipsy but seems wierd (but good) for a church to have something like that.

Anyone know what they are clearing the land and trees from the area around Exit 5 (hwy 25) and Interstate 20?

Its so close to the interchange Im thinking it might have something to do with the extension of I-520 (Palmetto Parkway.) However, I was under the impression the conjunction of the 2 interstates would be slightly further north on 20.

Also, while in the North Augusta thread, i noticed today while visiting the area that there is a new starbucks and walgreens going up by the Lowes on Knox rd. Not sure if that has been mentioned here yet.

i drove to columbia recently & i to saw the tractors, & construction gettin ready to take place at exit 5. I think it does has somethin to do with the palmetto parkway completion. Also construction is taking palce near the graniteville exit. Could we finally start to see major sprawl btw aiken & augusta

Yeah, the Palmetto Parkway is underway. SCDOT has it as one of the state's featured projects in the construction section of the website, as well as the (super-detailed) plans.

The construction at the Graniteville exit is the Sage Creek subdivision previously mentioned... Like 1500 or so small, ugly homes in a gigantic, treeless, clear cut field.. There are other smaller and more upscale subdivisions going in around there too... But yeah, Sage Creek and Trolley Run Station (5000+ total homes) will pretty much fill any gaps between Graniteville and Aiken.

I'm pretty sure Sage Creek can, just based on the maps I've seen... I haven't actually driven by the site (in the daytime at least). Trolley Run is adjacent to USCA, so it's far from I-20... There's some aerials of the construction at http://www.sagecreek-aiken.com/ ... I can't quite ascertain proximity to I-20, but it's definately close. There's some pretty dramatic hills in that area, so I'd imagine at least some is visible from the highway.

The construction at the Graniteville exit is the Sage Creek subdivision previously mentioned... Like 1500 or so small, ugly homes in a gigantic, treeless, clear cut field.. There are other smaller and more upscale subdivisions going in around there too... But yeah, Sage Creek and Trolley Run Station (5000+ total homes) will pretty much fill any gaps between Graniteville and Aiken.
Edited by augga706

i drove to columbia recently & i to saw the tractors, & construction gettin ready to take place at exit 5. I think it does has somethin to do with the palmetto parkway completion. Also construction is taking palce near the graniteville exit. Could we finally start to see major sprawl btw aiken & augusta

edgefield i didnt know i guess will have to see btw sc's barnwell, orangeburg, bamberg, & mccormick or ga's wilkes, lincoln, jefferson, & washington to be first swallowed by augusta metro.

i go with

mccormick, or barnwell for sc

lincoln, or jefferson for ga

• 2 weeks later...

North Augusta is starting constrcution on a new road off georgia ave to run through hammonds ferry & connect to the new goverment complex. The road should be finished by june 08 & the goverment center by the end of 08 no mention of what the street will be called.