Aiken County

PJA

http://www.mbkahn.com/index.php?option=com...4&Itemid=47

Found this sketch of the N.A. Municipal Building a while back, but couldn't find it again to post it. It's a crude sketch, but it looks like an awesome final product. M.B. Kahn from Columbia won the bid to build it at $17.6 million, and if I remember correctly, this is supposed to break ground this summer. This will be an awesome anchor for their emerging downtown.

namunipicalap2.jpg

Augga, is the new road Central Ave. (from the Hammond's Ferry site plan)? That's the one I've been waiting on (as well as the West Ave. extension) since they connect to the city so much better than the Crystal Lake entrance... If construction is underway on that road, that may mean that they're starting work on the Hammond's Ferry town center soon! I saw a blurb in last weeks North Augusta Star that the plan for "Hammonds Ferry, Section A-3" was to be discussed at the May 17 planning commission meeting. Perhaps this is the next development phase? I haven't seen the results because the Star updates its online paper very slowly....

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It might be central ave i dont know whats its going to be called. Thats strange tho to take a well know augusta st. name & used it in N.Augusta. All they mention was that the road would be off of georgia ave & run through hammonds ferry to connect to the goverment center. But youre probably right it has to be 1 of the entrances u talk about since those entrances have to do with hammonds ferry & this road will run through the neighborhood to connect georgia ave to hammonds ferry & the goverment center downtown

I think, realistically, N. Augusta has the chance to eventually outshine Aiken. Whereas Aiken is pretty hemmed in, both geographically (surrounded by irreplacable historic homes on huge 1-5 acre lots) and politically (anything over 3 floors will "ruin the character of downtown"), N. Augusta really has a blank slate to work with as well as less draconian zoning regulations. I've been continually impressed with the leadership over there. The city council recently denied a bank's application for a drive-thru at it's downtown location because it's not the style of development they felt would fit in downtown. That seems like a small measure, but it's something that even the leaders down here in booming downtown Orlando have been unable to successfully do...

North Augusta seems to be home to lots of gays and lesbians as well. Perhaps parts of it will become the metro areas first "gay ghetto". Last time I went out at Argos and The Shack, it seemed like everyone I talked to lived in North Augusta and Ive even had old friends to move there recently.

Its convieniant/close to Downtown Augusta and the Medical District, has a progressive attitude towards urban development, and has a wonderful stock of older, beautiful...but not too massive/expensive homes. North Augusta has also done some wonders in the landscaping department too. I love the "tropical" theme they have done at major intersections, in roadway medians, city entrances and the government buildings with all the Palm and Banana trees.

• 1 month later...

^ The site across from South Meadow's WAS the original site for the proposed Sam's Club, but I thought that was shot down by the commission. Didn't see any activity there when I visited in July other than the Mexican restaurant and the townhomes... Have they started construction on something there?

• 2 months later...

SRP Federal Credit Union announced they will build a 90,000 sq. ft. headquarters building at the intersection of Edgefield rd. and Walnut Lane in North Augusta. This is close to the intersection of Edgefield rd. and I-20 and near where I-520 will end once completed. Does anyone else think this area of North Augusta will be the next hot spot? I think a Walmart Neighborhood Market was planned for that area too but havent heard anything about it in a while.

I think im going to be right on the mark with that last comment. I may be out of the loop with stuff going on in metro Augusta but I just read about this new Sweetwater development being planned right near that same intersection on Edgefield rd. I think close to 900 single family units and (plus or minus) 900,000 sq. ft. of commercial space.

• 3 weeks later...

More on N. Augusta growth:

I can't find the article, since N.A. Star's website sucks, but last weeks online edition had a nice fluff piece about N.A's growth. The article stated that currently there are more than 8000 housing units approved or under construction in the city limits alone. This is apparently a DOUBLING of current inventory! It also mentioned over 2,000,000 SF of commercial underway/approved. With Aiken's major developments happening just outside the city limits in the future city of G-V-W (Trolley Run), there's a real chance of N.A. overtaking Aiken, despite being almost 10,000 people behind now...

The article also mentioned a huge development I'd never heard of... The Springs is apparently a 3700 home development + commercial near highway 25 and the Merovan business park... I don't know where/what Merovan is, but I assume this is also north of I-20, in the area socaguy has mentioned...

One big issue I see with growth in this area is that (I think) as soon as you cross into Edgefield Co., despite still being in North Augusta city limits, students must now go to Edgefield County Schools (I think this is still the case). With Strom Thurmond HS being at least 35-40 minutes away, this is a huge impediment to families moving in to this part of the city.

Edgefield Co. would be wise to build new schools servicing the southern portion of the county. This would infinitely increase the attractiveness of families locating in the county line area. It's already as good of a location as any of Columbia Co, it just needs the schools.

A couple shots of the construction on the N. Augusta municipal center (from northaugusta.net)

First, the site in August (posted mainly for the nice backdrop :whistling: )

bluff08073l.jpg

This is the update from mid-October. Nothing posted for November yet.

Bluff101607l.jpg

The Boudreaux Group has a lot of renderings and siteplans on their site. It looks to be 4 stories of primary space, with the decorative top extending another 2-3 floors or so.

Im just realizing where this new Municipal Center is now after looking at the Hammonds Ferry Website and now I see it in the pic. I thought this was going to be over close to the old municipal center which I wasnt too thrilled about. Good spot! This should make the entrance into North Augusta even more beautiful and will flow nicely with the Hammonds Ferry and River North (are those the condos across the street?) projects. Should be highly visible from DT Augusta and especially on the Calhoun Expressway.

• 2 weeks later...

South Carolina State leaders have approved the rest of the funds needed to complete (I-520) the Palmetto Parkway (the South Carolina portion of Bobby Jones Expressway). This includes the I-20/Highway 25 interchange construction and widening, the widening of Clearwater Rd to 5 lanes and a multi use trail along the parkway. The project is expected to be completed by the summer of 2009.

Here are more details.