Aiken County

PJA

Phase 2 of the Palmetto Parkway (the SC extension of the Bobby Jones Expressway) is coming close to breaking ground. The funding is in place as well as all of the land purchasing. The only thing left now is to find the builder. SC wants their part of the expressway finished by 2009.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The city of Aiken plans to spend 1.3 million dollars for a 2500 sq. ft. replica of a train depot that was built there in the 1800's. The city plans to hire a professional fundraiser to help come up with the money. Supporters of the plan hope the depot will preserve history, while educating the younger generations.

• 2 weeks later...

A committe from the Aiken County Council members recently met with six developers to go over plans to build a new county municipal complex. The project is expected to cost about 20 to 25 million. So far no plans have been drawn and the county has to purchase land for a tract large enough to hold the facilites. The county owns it's office space on Richland Ave, but they pay 200,000 a year in rental fees to Kalmia Plaza. The new complex would put all of the offices in one location.

Traffic could become a major issue in North Augusta, but plans are being taken to alleviate them. The city is on course to grant 300 residential building permits this year. In the past three years they have issued at least 200. Roads need to be in place to help accomodate the growth in the area. Here are more details.

The Article

Wow that is alot of jobs...I had no idea Avondale Mills employed that many people. I havent read the article, but does the 2000 include employees at other Mills? There is an Avondale Mills in Walhalla SC also, north of Anderson. Im assuming they are in other cities as well.

Wow that is alot of jobs...I had no idea Avondale Mills employed that many people. I havent read the article, but does the 2000 include employees at other Mills? There is an Avondale Mills in Walhalla SC also, north of Anderson. Im assuming they are in other cities as well.

Actually about 5000 will lose jobs for the whole company but 2000 are in Graniteville.

• 2 weeks later...

Aiken County will be getting the first stand alone Wal-mart Supermarket in the area. It will be located near I-20 right outside of North Augusta/Belvedere area. There are still plans to build a Walmart Supercenter and a Sam's club in the city Aiken. That would give Aiken county three Walmart Supercenters (two in Aiken and one in North Augusta) a Sam's club and a Walmart Supermarket.

SNO-CAP, a drive-in restaurant in North Augusta that is over 40 years old will be featured on a special on SCETV. The special covers drive-in restaurants and drive-in movie theatres in South Carolina. There are only three historic drive in restaurants left in South Carolina. Also Monetta's drive in theatre will be featured. Here's the full article.

Is the Walmart in North Augusta not a supercenter? I always thought it was but I may be wrong.

It is, as is the one in Aiken.

He's talking about the Walmart Neighborhood Market concept, which is just a grocery store. Thusfar there are none of these in the area...

• 3 weeks later...

Here's some shots from around Aiken Co. from this weekend...

Some good infill going on in Aiken...

These are some newly completed townhouses in DT Aiken, on the site of a former gas station. Unfortunately this massive structure is only 3 huge units, but its still an improvement to the corner.

mctownhouse.jpg

Some progress on the mixed-use project on the site of the former dt cinema.

theatreblock.jpg

This one is one that I hadn't heard of. A suburban style townhouse project is going up on Morgan St, next to a new 5-story apartment building. This is significant because Morgan St, as of about 2 years ago consisted of nothing but rotten shotgun houses and trash (no people whatsoever)... Aiken's neighborhood improvement project has swept in and built a lot of cute starter homes in this neighborhood (Toole Hill) as well as others on the northside, and its awesome to see some new spinoff development occurring because of the city's investment! The plans are for the city to build more than 300 new homes on the northside at no profit, so I can't wait to see how much more they can transform the neighborhood...

This development is suburban in nature, but it looks like it will be decently dense when developed. There's a lot more UC to the left of the photo, but I wanted to get the sign in the shot (200K+ in a recently ravaged neighborhood is pretty impressive to me)...

Ashley.jpg

And a series from Hammond's Ferry in North Augusta. The project is finally underway, and the first phase is the Crystal Lake Road area. THis portion is further into the project and predominately single-family, but it looks like a good mix of densities is even going into this area.

First up, the river... A wide swath of public space fronting the river? I love this project already!

Hammond3.jpg

This is the Crystal Lake entrance. I imagine it will not look as suburban when fully developed... The bridge over the entrance is North Augusta's Greeneway biking/walking trail system... (The Greeneway integration is my 2nd favorite part of the project)

Hammond5.jpg

The homes are tall and thin with minimal side-yards. The vinyl siding does kind of trouble me however...

Hammond2.jpg

But fortunately, the completed, fully-painted homes look quite nice.

Hammond1.jpg

Lastly, a novelty in the area... Multifamily and single family uses on the same block!? The long yellow home looks a bit strange not, but there's lots in front of it that will block out the length of the home when developed.

Hammond4.jpg

WOW, I'm so glad to see them raise the greenway and make a bridge for it @ Crystal Lake. Bike riding just got easier. I remember this site was so dense populated w/ trees and bushes, much less the way it looks now.

I love the design of this bridge too, it really shows what kind of design thought went into this project.

Wonderful pictures, I really have to drive down there next time I'm in the area. And in Aiken also. :)

This aerial shows the site of Hammond's Ferry on the lower-left side of the river. The portion currently under development is in the grassy area, beneath the small lake shown in the aerial. The town center will be in the wooded area near the bridge. Also of note, this aerial shows some of the construction of the Landing at River Club condos directly across the bridge, as well as the hideous mcmansions that are hogging the rest of the N. Augusta waterfront...

hferry6gi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Food Lion will be coming to one of the vacant Winn Dixie spaces in North Augusta. It is taking the place of the vacant Winn Dixie on Edgefield Rd. near I-20. This will be the 10th Food Lion in the area.

Edited by PJA