Aiken County

PJA

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm pretty sure that nearly all of these homes ARE in the city limits. These 1500 homes are just phase I of plans to build 5000 homes. This particular subdivision is in the Sage Valley area, near the I-20 interchange with Bettis Academy Rd (exit 11).

The remaining 3000+ homes proposed by these developers will be in a sprawling 1800 acre community straddling Aiken, Vaucluse, and Graniteville off of Aiken's bypass called Trolley Run Station.

I'm really surprised that they plan to have 1500 homes completed by the end of the year. I didn't see too much progress when I was home in July.

Here's the link to the developers. Check out the plans for Trolley Run... Its MASSIVE! (but hideously sprawly)...

www.finedeering.com

Edited by Topher1

A second Avondale Mills plant in Graniteville is expected to be sold by next Friday, saving 100 more jobs. As mentioned about a month ago, one of the plants was already sold which saved 250 jobs. The other plants in Graniteville are still being marketed to potential buyers.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know what they have cleared the land for right as you are coming into N. Augusta from DT Augusta. I think that is called Georgia avenue? The project is on the left at an intersection and there is a sign with a rendering of what looks like townhomes but not sure. Will there be any retail in this?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really like some of the ideas presented in this article... I had been getting nervous, since most of the talk has been to build a new municipal building in one of the new mega-subdivisions out on the bypass near USCA.

The idea of adding 2 floors to the existing building downtown (making it 4 floors) sounds very exciting. For those who don't know, while downtown Aiken is very active and thriving, there are no structures more than 3 stories in the main core. It would be awesome to actually have City Hall as the focal point downtown, rather than what it is currently (an obscure building that really just blends in). And maybe it might bring the standard for new infill up to 4 floors (most new stuff going in right now is capping at 3 floors)...

Looks like a great list to me. The writer wisely chose primarily downtown businesses. I'd have included a best pizza category to give Ferrando's a nod ;) I always have to get a pizza there when I'm in town. I can't wait to try some of these suggestions when I'm in town for the holidays.

^ bah...

I suppose it's more "progress" than that side of town has seen in years, but this will be the final death blow for the Kalmia Mall property just a mile down the road... It really is a shame, because there really aren't many Roses stores left, and that one will probably close within a year once Wal-Mart opens... Of course the Kalmia Mall property would be an amazing location for a mixed-use development, but I suspect that it will just sit vacant and rotting for the time being if/when Roses closes...

According to state laws regarding incorporation, no city/town can be incorporated within 5 miles of an existing city or town, unless the new city/town has more than 7000 residents at a certain overall density. So in order to satisfy that, they've drawn the boundaries to an area that includes just barely over 7000 people.

However, if this happens, the two largest new housing developments in the county will be in the new city's city limits, which would boost the population to around 15000 within a few years...

• 2 weeks later...

^ I had always thought that Graniteville already was it's own city, but I may of been wrong. Linking three together would really make it interesting. I still would LOVe to see more growth in that area, especially between Graniteville and Clearwater along the corridor between US1 and I-20.

On another note, an article in today's chronicle talks about N. Augusta's new Archelogical park by the River and the OFFICIAL groundbreaking ceremony for Phase 2 of Palmetto Parkway is scheduled for January 22, 2007. :)