Southside

celebrated

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An article in today's Democrat mentions a new St. Joe project called SouthSide with an estimated 2,800 housing units on 1,625 acres on the southwest side of the city. Anyone heard of this before?

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...NGNEWS/60208003

I got an E-mail about it the other day at work. SOmetime in the next couple of days I'm supposed to get the full plan for it at my office.

I got an E-mail about it the other day at work. SOmetime in the next couple of days I'm supposed to get the full plan for it at my office.

What do you do again Psycuda?

I heard about St Joe's plans for a new community a few years back... but I didn't imagine it would pop up so soon. I'd sure like to know more as well.

My suspicion is that St. Joe may develop only the land/infrastructure and outsource the home building to another company. Their earnings report stated that they are in negotiations with several national builders to do just that. One press article mentioned David Weekley Homes and D.R. Horton which are both major national builders. In fact St. Joe just signed a contract in October for David Weekley Homes to develop a bunch of their lots in Panama City. We lived in a David Weekley home in Central Florida and they build very nice houses. The truth is St. Joe cannot build homes fast enough to meet demand so personally I think it makes sense to do this. It will be interesting to hear more about this project including the actual location.

Were these David Weekley homes similar in design and quality to the homes we see in Southwood?

Yes, IMO most of their homes are more architecturally detailed then St. Joe's homes. David Weekley built many of the homes in Celebration. They are also building many in Baldwin Park and other well-known neo-traditional communities.

Yeah I read this article and wondered where the land is exactly. Anyone know? I remember reading a while back that St. Joe did own some land and was going for a PUD designation for property at Balkin Rd. and Cap. Circle. Could this be the location or is that something else? Will this project be more affordable homes or in the price range similar to those at Southwood?

What's up w/St. Joe's industrial park on Cap Circle betwen Springhill and Lake Bradford. Last time I drove by there had been no progress other than paved streets and a nice sign.

Yeah I read this article and wondered where the land is exactly. Anyone know? I remember reading a while back that St. Joe did own some land and was going for a PUD designation for property at Balkin Rd. and Cap. Circle. Could this be the location or is that something else? Will this project be more affordable homes or in the price range similar to those at Southwood?

What's up w/St. Joe's industrial park on Cap Circle betwen Springhill and Lake Bradford. Last time I drove by there had been no progress other than paved streets and a nice sign.

Celebrated, thanks for posting the pictures of Baldwin Park... I mean the link to the website. I think it was mouth-watering beautiful and I wish we had a huge chunk of land in or near the middle of our city where they could do the same thing. Absolutely gorgeous! It reminded me of Southwood in many ways.

Poonther, I hear St Joe owns land going toward the Leon/Wakulla line... if the development lies along this path, this might be a very nice addition to that part of the community. We definately need more new growth in that area to help establish that cooridor leading to the coast.

PossibleLocation.jpg

I'm not totally wild about the name Southside. It just sounds too generic. Also when I read the name, that damn Moby song keeps going through my mind. You think this is the final name or just the submittal name?

Southside???? YUCK!!! :sick: Not creative at all.....C'mon St. Joe....We know you can do better than that for a new development name...Geez!

Actually, I will be meeting with several St. Joe managers & staff next Tuesday & will suggest they seriously consider renaming this particular project. (Not that they will listen, or even care, but at least they'll hear an outsiders opinion)

the way it was written SouthSide makes it seem as if it would be the official name. I'd hope for something a bit more creative for this Community, as South Side is what we call that area of town and we don't need the extra confusion.

They haven't come up with anything official, since all we have it as is just St. Joe. I can tell you that the Regional Planning Council has it on file.

Archived