Southside

celebrated

South Monroe is another important gateway to downtown.

IMHO, the entire street from Orange Ave. to the Railroad bridge needs to be resurfaced and professionally landscaped. I would love to see tall Palm trees lining both sides of the street leading into downtown.

What do you all think????

Why just stop at Monroe? I think redeveloping Adams should be as much a part of the equation as along Monroe. Besides, I think that FAMU would be more responsive to that redevelopment than they have been to the Gaines St. program.

Ha ha, so funny but I bet so true! :P

If they rename Paul Russell after Bill Proctor, I will buy a Hummer and put tire chains on it and drive the hell out of that road. :thumbsup:

So we'll be seeing the Marvin Van Peebles movie festival coming to Tallahassee then? Or would Die, Blackula, Die be better?

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree....I think they should try to clean up ALL the wires in Tallahassee!!! My Niece from Fort Lauderdale came to visit me and one of the first things she said to me is that we have more Power Lines on The Parkway than all South Florida!!!! I know she is extraditing but she has a point. This is from someone one on the outside looking in. And powerlines is my biggest pet peve... I mean Power Lines look so "yesterday" and Tally is bombarded with them.

Well, I understand that undergrounding wires is extremely expensive. The Governor requested a survey be done following the 2004 hurricanes and the utilities reported that it would cost $9 BILLION to underground all utilities in the state.

Granted that is cost prohibitive... I do think that major arteries and business corridors like Apalachee Parkway, Monroe Street, Tennesee Street, etc. should be done for aesthetic value. Naturally it doesn't make sense to put too much effort into undergrounding secondaries and service lines hidden behind houses and down side streets, etc.

That would make a HUGE difference changing the Main roads at least. I dont think South Wood is Power line infested... so at least the new developments are breaking the bad habit. Hopefully "SouthSide" "throwing up my gang sign..lol" will follow suite as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Trouble at St. Joe

Do you think this will affect Southside development or White Fence Farms or is it just a "bump in the road?"

I suspect that in the rush to development over recent years they staffed up quickly. Now they're trying to become more efficient. I don't think this is driven by a slump in business as much as pressure to make someone even more money.

I believe they are publicly traded as JOE, so Wall Street might be a driven force as well.

I'm glad to read this from the Democrat:

"But its huge SouthWood project and the proposed south-side project are "both going full steam ahead," said Brad Slappey, vice president of Investor Relations in the company's Jacksonville headquarters. "Sales might be a little slow, but we believe in the market. We still believe in those projects."

I'm glad to read this from the Democrat:

"But its huge SouthWood project and the proposed south-side project are "both going full steam ahead," said Brad Slappey, vice president of Investor Relations in the company's Jacksonville headquarters. "Sales might be a little slow, but we believe in the market. We still believe in those projects."

They weren't kidding about full speed ahead. Southside has submitted their Appplication for Development Approval, the next big step in making this happen. Still with the same basics as before, but more clear on what kinds of impacts that this will have on the roads and rest of the area. St. Joe has officially committed to the Inclusionary housing ordinance.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

OK, since Target and Lowe's are going to be part of Southwood, what do you all see going into Southside's retail component? While the concept is for a liestyle center, still a million square feet is a lot of space to work with. Besides, the lifestyle center in Destin (Destin Commons) is only about 400,000 square feet, and the 1,000,000 square foot one in Orlando (Festival Bay) has struggled to get non-anchor stores into it.

I believe w/that much square footage, one of our current department stores will open up shop over there. I'm saying possibly Dillard's thus moving out of their Tally Mall location and that move could kill that mall dead. Just my theory here. Also Belk is coming into the market via Parisian and they could open a new store there since they are also in Destin Commons. I could also see a Pottery Barn as being one of the tenants in the center, I'd personally rather have a Z Gallerie, but P.B. will do. Williams-Sonoma will open up out there too based on presence at other lifestyle centers in metros our size.

Also is the entire sq. footage going to be in "mall area" of the center itself or will it have a outdoor mall area and then big box stores surrounding it on the edges? I've seen that concept of a ring of big box stores at several lifestyle centers across the country. If that were the case, I could also see maybe Kohl's moving there, maybe a 2nd Best Buy, a 2nd TJ Maxx or Ross and something like Linen and Things (to compete w/Bed Bath.) Also several chain restaurants will probably ring the development in the out parcels. I could also see a new multi-plex theater out there too.

What' I'd LOVE to see is a WHOLE FOODS. That for me is what this town needs now. WF is just moving into Jax, so maybe one day soon they'll expand over here. Trader Joe's would be a "pipe dream" for me, but they aren't in FL or even the South....yet.

Also is the entire sq. footage going to be in "mall area" of the center itself or will it have a outdoor mall area and then big box stores surrounding it on the edges? I've seen that concept of a ring of big box stores at several lifestyle centers across the country. If that were the case, I could also see maybe Kohl's moving there, maybe a 2nd Best Buy, a 2nd TJ Maxx or Ross and something like Linen and Things (to compete w/Bed Bath.) Also several chain restaurants will probably ring the development in the out parcels. I could also see a new multi-plex theater out there too.

Archived