Southside

celebrated

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will definitely be asking some questions about this when I meet with St Joe staff next week. Those St Joe guys are usually pretty tight lipped on discussing new development issues but hopefully they'll be willing to shed a little light on this whole "Southside" thing since it's already been made public....at least in a generic sense it has. I'll share anything I learn after my meeting with them.

Please do Glenn. And thank you very much for offering. I can't speak for everyone, but I've really appreciated all of the inside knowledge you've given us since your arrival.

Thanks so much, TJ I really enjoy being a part of this forum & I'm glad I found you guys. I don't know much but I'm glad to share with everyone what little I do know about . I love Tallahassee & don't plan on ever moving away so I am concerned about our future & want to be involved in the promotion of quality growth. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Kind of like I expected....no one I met with at St Joe either last week or again today claims to know anything about this "Southside" project. I specifically asked about everything that was in the newspaper but they all claimed to know nothing of it. One of the development managers said they didn't even own that much land land in Southwest Tallahassee & suggested the paper had it wrong. Another staff person then commented that it might have just said SW, meaning SouthWood, and someone at the paper interpreted that to mean Southwest. I called the development manager over Southwood this afternoon & was told by his assistant that she knew of nothing happening either South or West of SouthWood in the very near future & also said she knew nothing about any St Joe project called "SouthSide". She said the focus for SouthWood's development right now it to the North towards the Orange Avenue extension & Old St. Augustine Road & eventually merging Southwood Plantation Road into Apalachee Parkway coming out at the Wal-Mart intersection. She also said there was some commercial development in the works by St Joe for the West side of Capital Circle around Blairstone but wouldn't say what. Someone, somewhere knows something about this "Southside" project....I just haven't found them yet!

Man that is strange! Surely the Democrat just would not pull this story out of their....hinnies? Be careful Glenn, if you find out the true answers, I'm afraid we may never see you again.

Poonther, I wouldn't be surprised if they did err on this one. It wouldn't be the first time they've misled the public... not to say they do it on purpose... but it happens ya know.

I'd personally like to see Southwood completed before St Joe begins new... esepcially something in the same area of town, probably of the same concept.

Now that I've finally seen a couple of things in advance of meeting with St. Joe next week (and figuring that Southside is a holding name until we get to see what wildlife will be flushed out so they can determine what to name the place:)) I can say that the location is on the bend of Capital Circle, both North and SOuth of the Circle, extending up to Tram Rd, and west to Woodville Highway. Other than that, and figuring out whether Tallahassee needs another hospital and a few million square feet of retail (between this, Fallschase, the Devoe Moore land at I-10 and Mahan, and a couple of other projects) in the next 5 to 10 years, that's all I've got right now

Yeah I read this article and wondered where the land is exactly. Anyone know? I remember reading a while back that St. Joe did own some land and was going for a PUD designation for property at Balkin Rd. and Cap. Circle. Could this be the location or is that something else? Will this project be more affordable homes or in the price range similar to those at Southwood?

What's up w/St. Joe's industrial park on Cap Circle betwen Springhill and Lake Bradford. Last time I drove by there had been no progress other than paved streets and a nice sign.

That is supposed to be 600 or so apartments

Now that I've finally seen a couple of things in advance of meeting with St. Joe next week (and figuring that Southside is a holding name until we get to see what wildlife will be flushed out so they can determine what to name the place:)) I can say that the location is on the bend of Capital Circle, both North and SOuth of the Circle, extending up to Tram Rd, and west to Woodville Highway. Other than that, and figuring out whether Tallahassee needs another hospital and a few million square feet of retail (between this, Fallschase, the Devoe Moore land at I-10 and Mahan, and a couple of other projects) in the next 5 to 10 years, that's all I've got right now

Anxious to hear what you find out during your meeting with St Joe next week,psycuda. What division or department of St Joe are you meeting with? Two meetings I've had recently with different GIS managers & staff from the Towns & Resorts division turned up nothing. They all claimed to know nothing of a project called "Southside" or anything close to where I described except for it possibly being another phase of "SouthWood". Also like to know more about the proposed "Wescott Lakes" project, other than what's already been published in the Democrat. Please keep us posted & I'll do the same from this end. Thanks!

Anxious to hear what you find out during your meeting with St Joe next week,psycuda. What division or department of St Joe are you meeting with? Two meetings I've had recently with different GIS managers & staff from the Towns & Resorts division turned up nothing. They all claimed to know nothing of a project called "Southside" or anything close to where I described except for it possibly being another phase of "SouthWood". Also like to know more about the proposed "Wescott Lakes" project, other than what's already been published in the Democrat. Please keep us posted & I'll do the same from this end. Thanks!

This is the dog and pony show with the local govs, regional planning council, and St. Joe.

Thanks for the updates Psycuda and Glenn.

I have plans for both Welaunee(2002) and Fallschase(2005-6) plan as far as retail is concerned. The Welaunee Plan seems to want to draw traffic from the interstate, they're planning for a new exit/interchange for this development. Further Fallschase's retail should really help to shake things up a bit sooner. My girlfriend is constantly saying, Tallahassee would be "the stuff" if we had better shopping. I agree. I think there are alot of people who reside here unhappy with our shopping options and would love to see more.

Thanks again for the updates.

Thanks for the updates Psycuda and Glenn.

I have plans for both Welaunee(2002) and Fallschase(2005-6) plan as far as retail is concerned. The Welaunee Plan seems to want to draw traffic from the interstate, they're planning for a new exit/interchange for this development. Further Fallschase's retail should really help to shake things up a bit sooner. My girlfriend is constantly saying, Tallahassee would be "the stuff" if we had better shopping. I agree. I think there are alot of people who reside here unhappy with our shopping options and would love to see more.

Thanks again for the updates.

Define better shopping, since Wallyworld big box (a staple of much of what has been proposed) isn't gonna cut it

I LOVE this type of info. This insider info. is what makes U.P. Tally so great. Thanks!!!!!!!

If you measure the amount of development that is slated to occur in the Southwood/SouthSide area and compare it to the development that occured in the Killearn Area in the 1970s, its almost scary to think that there is no Limited Access Highway serving South Tallahassee. It's almost as if "we" believe Capital Circle will solve our problems when it's completed. I'm sure many of us will be in for some major surprises. Meanwhile I still think there are opportunities to get a road to the South of town before the big hurt. I can definately see the need for a Hospital in this area... not so sure about all of that retail so close to Governor's square, but something similar in size to the Governor's marketplace should do well out there.

Still no mention of anything called "SouthSide" but this press release was put out by the St Joe Company late this afternoon on another new business venture:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

03/03/06

THE ST. JOE COMPANY (NYSE: JOE) INTRODUCES

Archived