Southside

celebrated

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember this old Gas Station???

MonroeOrange.jpg

Well it's been torn down and there is now a Circle K Quick Shop on the way. This is a bad picture of the site as traffic was a little difficult to cross and I had to work from where I was.

CircleK.jpg

The whole sector in general is seeing a surge of attention. Orange avenue is getting a face lift between Monroe and Capital Circle SE, the fairgrounds is getting a new look, or should I say has gotten a new look:

SonyShots056.jpg

Driving back into the downtown it dawned on me how we often overlook S. Tallahassee. But the area is prime with potential.

SonyShots081.jpg

South Monroe is another important gateway to downtown.

IMHO, the entire street from Orange Ave. to the Railroad bridge needs to be resurfaced and professionally landscaped. I would love to see tall Palm trees lining both sides of the street leading into downtown.

What do you all think????

TJ, I'm out of town but will be anxious to read what you have to report after attending tonight's meeting. If they don't mention it, ask about a proposed Home Depot on Capital Circle SE somewhere between Tram Road & Woodville Highway. :unsure: I've just recently heard from 2 different builder/friends that we're getting our 3rd Home Depot & it's going to be somewhere along Cap Circle Southeast.

TJ, I've just recently heard from 2 different builder/friends that we're getting our 3rd Home Depot & it's going to be somewhere along Cap Circle Southeast.

I heard it was going to be one of the anchor stores in the retail portion of St. Joe's Southside which would be between Tram and Woodville on the north side of Capital Circle SE.

WCTV's website says today that Southside is going to use the Inclusionary Housing Ordinance. That news should make our stjoe thrilled!

Commissioner Proctor says he hopes they will have a movie theatre. I've read that "movie theatre" statement from him tons of times like when he talks about the possible development at the fairgrounds. That man must love his flicks. A big night out for him and the little lady must be dinner at Red Lobster (I've read he wants one for the south part of town) and a movie. So what do you suppose are his favorite movies? I'm going w/Shaft and just like me, anything w/Pam Grier in it like Foxy Brown!

WCTV's website says today that Southside is going to use the Inclusionary Housing Ordinance. That news should make our stjoe thrilled!

Commissioner Proctor says he hopes they will have a movie theatre. I've read that "movie theatre" statement from him tons of times like when he talks about the possible development at the fairgrounds. That man must love his flicks. A big night out for him and the little lady must be dinner at Red Lobster (I've read he wants one for the south part of town) and a movie. So what do you suppose are his favorite movies? I'm going w/Shaft and just like me, anything w/Pam Grier in it like Foxy Brown!

County Administrator Parwez mentioned at the meeting that Proctor has been talking about the movie theater for 10 years.

I just read that TJ was going to be there. I wonder if I saw him?

My quick recall (I did not take any notes):

-Will Butler (St. Joe) says the retail component will be like Destin Commons, but much better.

-There are some crazy kooks out there. One guy suggested that St. Joe should put the development on the ballot and let citizens vote on it!

-County planning people mentioned the state has petitioned for an additional 1.7M sq ft of space in the CCOC, in addition to the 1.8M already approved.

-They have not submitted any formal plans yet, and this meeting was to gather input that might affect their plans before the submit

-100 bed hospital is called an [almost] sure thing for the site

-a new high school is on the list

-extension of Paul Russel and Jim Lee roads south through the development to Cap Cir SE (one citizen suggested it should be renamed Proctor Rd in honor of the chairman)

-no talk of specific retail commitments, still too early for that

-no decision on whether it would be a CDD or not yet

-will connect to city sewer, water and utils

-will seek annexation for the part of the project that is outside city limits

-traffic impact will be mitigated by limited access 6-laning of cap cir SE between tram and woodville hwy

-mixed use retail in the middle of the development, residential on the north, and greenspace on the south

Will add more if I think of it, or if TJ misses anything that I heard.

-

County Administrator Parwez mentioned at the meeting that Proctor has been talking about the movie theater for 10 years.

I just read that TJ was going to be there. I wonder if I saw him?

My quick recall (I did not take any notes):

-Will Butler (St. Joe) says the retail component will be like Destin Commons, but much better.

-There are some crazy kooks out there. One guy suggested that St. Joe should put the development on the ballot and let citizens vote on it!

-County planning people mentioned the state has petitioned for an additional 1.7M sq ft of space in the CCOC, in addition to the 1.8M already approved.

-They have not submitted any formal plans yet, and this meeting was to gather input that might affect their plans before the submit

-100 bed hospital is called an [almost] sure thing for the site-a new high school is on the list

-extension of Paul Russel and Jim Lee roads south through the development to Cap Cir SE (one citizen suggested it should be renamed Proctor Rd in honor of the chairman)

-no talk of specific retail commitments, still too early for that

-no decision on whether it would be a CDD or not yet

-will connect to city sewer, water and utils

-will seek annexation for the part of the project that is outside city limits

-traffic impact will be mitigated by limited access 6-laning of cap cir SE between tram and woodville hwy

-mixed use retail in the middle of the development, residential on the north, and greenspace on the south

Will add more if I think of it, or if TJ misses anything that I heard.

-

1. I hope teaching hospital is on the minds of the multiple powers that be.

2. Keep moving those limits outwards!

Ha ha, so funny but I bet so true! :P

If they rename Paul Russell after Bill Proctor, I will buy a Hummer and put tire chains on it and drive the hell out of that road. :thumbsup:

SonyShots105.jpg

Looks like you covered most of it pretty well toolman...

Sorry I didn't know you were there, else I would have looked around for you.

You've already run down the numbers for this thing but just to drive it home

SonyShots109.jpg

1625 Acres

2800 Homes Proposed

1,040,000 Sq. ft. of shopping (Governor's Square Mall)

150,000 Sq.ft. Office Space

300 Hotel Rooms (may be several buildings may be one)

110 Hospital Beds (very likely)

400 Acres of Open Space

SonyShots112.jpg

Commissioner Proctor was in strong support of the project. Also present were Commissioners Jane Sauls and Thaell... seemingly in support from the county side.

SonyShots116.jpg

Joe plans to annex the entire project into the City of Tallahassee. The community will be connected to city utilities (sewer, water, electric) in addition they will extend Paul Russel road through the community out of their own pockets. The hope is to also facilitate the widening of Capital Circle with use of access roads instead of numerous driveways.

Joe has said they will voluntarily comply with the City's Workforce Housing ordinance, even if overturned.

They are working closely with Friends of Wakulla Springs (a group of scientist) to mitigate the project's impact on the Springs.

Joe is also hoping, like Southwood, SouthSide may one day lure StarMetro service for its patrons.

This project is being sold as an inclusionary project where Southwood is percieved to be more exclusive. They are hoping to draw the entire community into this project for shopping, dining, entertainment and more.

Here are some artist sketches of what the retail component will look like:

SonyShots106.jpg

SonyShots108.jpg

SonyShots107.jpg

SonyShots121.jpg

After this Joe representitve spoke, one lady rose to ask about crime. She wanted to make sure this man wouldn't be selling CRACK in the new neighborhood (its a joke, check the pants! :lol: ) I'm terrible

aren't I?! :rofl: Crack is whack people. Crack is whack!

After this Joe representitve spoke, one lady rose to ask about crime. She wanted to make sure this man wouldn't be selling CRACK in the new neighborhood (its a joke, check the pants! ) I'm terrible

aren't I?! Crack is whack people. Crack is whack!

LMAO!! Tell that one to Whitney Houston!

Look at the size of Proctor's afro, and it looks nappy too from the picture!

In more serious discussion, the plans sound really exciting! I'm really excited about the retail part, as the southside could use some much better retail.

Methinks Proctor is more down with Spike Lee and the movies Roots, Mississippi Burning, etc...

First thing... underground all those wires.

Second... sign ordinance.

Third... landscaping.

I agree....I think they should try to clean up ALL the wires in Tallahassee!!! My Niece from Fort Lauderdale came to visit me and one of the first things she said to me is that we have more Power Lines on The Parkway than all South Florida!!!! I know she is extraditing but she has a point. This is from someone one on the outside looking in. And powerlines is my biggest pet peve... I mean Power Lines look so "yesterday" and Tally is bombarded with them.

Archived