Southside

celebrated

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think you're correct about the parcel being a part of the Southwood DRI. It was sold to a developer, the Sembler Company, a while back. As far as I know, there has been no approval of any part of the "Southside" project at this point.

From the Sembler Company website:

"The proposed Sembler-Jamestown Shopping Center in Tallahassee is a planned 460,000 s.f. open-air shopping center located within the Southwood DRI. Southwood DRI is a 3,231 acre master-planned development by the St. Joe Company which will include single and multi-family residential units, a state office complex, schools, a golf course and retail development. The proposed shopping center will be located on a 56 acre parcel on the north side of Capital Circle SE in the Southeastern quadrant of Tallahassee. The center will be anchored by several major tenants and will offer many conveniences for the Southwood area."

There's a pdf file on the Sembler website that show a proposed site plan. It only identifies Publix as an anchor, but there are already two Publix stores in close proximity, so who knows....

See: http://www.sembler.com/current_projects.php?id=51

• 3 months later...

^ Not that I've heard. I think it's a combination of things, waiting on the economy & the housing market to improve, waiting on the completion of Capital Circle in that area & waiting on the hoped for passage of legislation to make it easier to get the new hospital approved without having to go through the current "Certificate Of Need" process. This will be a heavily debated topic in the Legislature this session I believe. Special interest groups from both sides are lobbying hard for things to go their way. Perhaps GG can give us some better insight on this particular issue.

Archived