348 - 350 Diamond

GRDadof3

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope this picture insert works.

Dad- This is the new pad!

Planning today - as you have found. Got our HPC approval. Just a few more hurdles to clear. Nitro and GridGirl have been busting their tails on this one.

My family will be living in one half and a family from EGR will be moving back into the City to live in the other half.

What else?

rowhouse04.gif

Wow.. Modern looking. What types of materials for the exterior such as the gray part (concrete?) and blue non glass portions?

Exterior materials will be a stucco on the more 'solid' north and south faces and the blue non-glass portions will be an obscure glass.

This project is a stones throw from Uptown Village. It is very exciting. Lighthouse has been heavily researchiing the possibility of some market rate townhomes in a condo arrangement in the area south of Wealthy. We are close, but at this point the market just will not bear the $150k proce point. Projects like this being taken by urban pioneers such as yourself will certainly go a long way to push the market. I am very geeked about this.

Now, do you have kids of a school age...??? :whistling:

I hope this picture insert works.

Dad- This is the new pad!

Nitro and GridGirl have been busting their tails on this one.

My family will be living in one half and a family from EGR will be moving back into the City to live in the other half.

"It's a beautiful day in this neighborhood,

A beautiful day for a neighbor......

I've always wanted to have a neighbor just like you.

I've always wanted to live in a neighborhood with you.

So, let's make the most of this beautiful day.

Since we're together we might as well say:

Would you be mine?

Could you be mine?

Won't you be my neighbor?" -Mr. Rogers

This project is a stones throw from Uptown Village. It is very exciting. Lighthouse has been heavily researchiing the possibility of some market rate townhomes in a condo arrangement in the area south of Wealthy. We are close, but at this point the market just will not bear the $150k proce point. Projects like this being taken by urban pioneers such as yourself will certainly go a long way to push the market. I am very geeked about this.

Now, do you have kids of a school age...??? :whistling:

There's a manifesto of a reply to this...but I think it's a different thread, or, I'll defer to GRTownPlanner - he can fill a screen w/ text like nobody's business. Regardless, I appreciate your support.

We have a young daughter. GRPS is on the clock...

The only thing that I can say about these townhouses is that I very much appreciate the fact that someone locally can do good modernism, while still being respectful of context and urbanism.

While I would not consider myself a modernist, I would say that these buildings prove that style does not matter, as long as basic tenants of urbansim and context are followed.

I am very, very excited to see a project like this get built and expect more to follow.

The only thing that I can say about these townhouses is that I very much appreciate the fact that someone locally can do good modernism, while still being respectful of context and urbanism.

While I would not consider myself a modernist, I would say that these buildings prove that style does not matter, as long as basic tenants of urbansim and context are followed.

I am very, very excited to see a project like this get built and expect more to follow.

That's what I was thinking too. I don't really like the modernist look, but the design repects basic urban design principles. It will be great for the neighborhood.

GRTownPlanner: I thought that Ted was saying that you could write a large amount on this part of Dave's post:

"Lighthouse has been heavily researchiing the possibility of some market rate townhomes in a condo arrangement in the area south of Wealthy. We are close, but at this point the market just will not bear the $150k proce point."

Do you have any comments on that portion?

Additionally, the GR Historic Preservation Commission takes a lot of hits on this site - many of them undeserved. This project is in a historic district and was unanimously approved by the GRHPC through its normal process with comments and design alterations suggested by the GRHPC that ultimately improved the final design - as we do with all of our work in the Grand Rapids Historic Districts. The key in all cases is understanding the rules and respecting and committing to the process. Ultimately, context is the key in these discussions - not style. In this case the location of basic programmatic functions are oriented in very traditionaly urban ways (garage in back, main entrance in front for example). The hope is that the building will support the existing street wall and be a buffer between the commercial district to the south and the residential district to the North.

Planning approved it yesterday. Now we just have to build it. Wish us luck...

Additionally, the GR Historic Preservation Commission takes a lot of hits on this site - many of them undeserved. This project is in a historic district and was unanimously approved by the GRHPC through its normal process with comments and design alterations suggested by the GRHPC that ultimately improved the final design - as we do with all of our work in the Grand Rapids Historic Districts. The key in all cases is understanding the rules and respecting and committing to the process. Ultimately, context is the key in these discussions - not style. In this case the location of basic programmatic functions are oriented in very traditionaly urban ways (garage in back, main entrance in front for example). The hope is that the building will support the existing street wall and be a buffer between the commercial district to the south and the residential district to the North.

Planning approved it yesterday. Now we just have to build it. Wish us luck...

First of all let me say that I like the design. I have a question about infill in historic districts though. Basically I don't understand what is ok and what wouldn't be. From HPC Infill guidelines

The Secretary of the Interior

I'm a modernist/minimalist wannabe and I love this!!! Where is it? Is it on the SW corner of Wealthy and Diamond? I need markers. I'd love to watch the progress.

It will be on the East side of Diamond just North of Wealthy. Right between the old house and the parking lot.

Paris, dont want to be...just be!

• 5 months later...

I haven't heard anything on this project and was beginning to wonder if it was going to happen. I went by the site today and there is a big hole being dug! :D It looks like it's starting to happen!

Yup, it's off and running. Footings will go in today......weather permitting.

Doesn't this project fall in the Wealthy Street Theatre Historic District? If so, how'd they get away with the design?

I like the design, but I thought the HPC were like rabid wolves. Of course, they let the building on Wealthy where the Fusion Salon is use some crappy looking cinder block facade so maybe they don't care if it looks historically accurate.

Or, it's outside of the district. I prefer my first idea though. ;)

The aforementioned hole:

hole.jpg

Archived