Thruway Shopping Center

Hotlanta

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellit...d=1173353766271

Satellite-1.jpg

Hanesbrands will open a flagship company-outlet store in Thruway next year. The store will be called Hanesbrands Company Store and will operate at street level fronting Knollwood Street near the Fox & Hound pub and restaurant. The store is going into the long vacant space that was once home to a branch of the Forsyth County Public Library and small shops and office space.

Saul Centers is also planning to divide the former Blockbuster space into two spaces and is negotiating with one tenant. They are also grading the pad on Knollwood Street, the former site of Knollwood BP, for future use.

Ironically, Saul declined to comment on the old Fresh Market space. It sounds like they have a tenant in mind:

“We are disappointed that they (Fresh Market) left,” Chris Netter said, “but the opportunities that it is creating are going to be good for the shopping center.”

I have mixed-feelings on Hanes moving into the lower mall. I'm glad Thruway is sticking to its roots, but I'm not exactly sure that an outlet store is the way to go? I don't know whether it cheapens Thruway's appeal or gives it more character? I went to Harris Teeter tonight and noticed that they were in the process (as mentioned above) of grading the former BP station lot and covering up the windows of the old Blockbuster space. Without Fresh Market there anymore it really gives the center a desolate feel. I hope this announcement of Hanes taking up the entire lower level will force Saul to renovate the old TJ's Deli space and finally get a tenant in there after all these years.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that generally outlet stuff is not the first choice, but I think this is different because it is Hanes and is a flagship. I also agree, we need more flagship stores in W-S. That's really a great idea about a Texas Pete store, and I really am hopefully about Red, Hot, & Blue. It would be great if Krispy Kreme would recover enough to build it's new headquarters (hopefully downtown) with the museum that was originally announced.

I have mixed-feelings on Hanes moving into the lower mall. I'm glad Thruway is sticking to its roots, but I'm not exactly sure that an outlet store is the way to go? I don't know whether it cheapens Thruway's appeal or gives it more character?
Don't forget, Thruway used to have Roses and Woolworth, and there was some hesitance when Stein Mart, Pet Supermarket and Party City came in, because they are discounters. Thruway has always had a high-low mix and adding an established hometown retailer that's moving from down the street to fill a virtually unsaleable space is not really going to hurt things.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Renovations have started on the old Blockbuster store. As to what will occupy that space, I have no clue.

The following are photos I took about a month ago with my cellphone of the Hanesbrands Outlet store renovation. Judging from what I could see beyond the construction walls, the lower mall can no longer be accessed from the old TJ's Deli open-air entrance. Crews have removed and sealed off the stairwell.

2594061758_ee97f3c10e_b.jpg

2594061718_b55ac92ab8_b.jpg

2593222193_b3cdd86b08_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Any other recent changes at Thruway? I haven't been in a while.

The former Fresh Market and Blockbuster spaces are being renovated. I asked the manager at Borders tonight whether he knew what was going into either one of the spaces and he said Saul has not briefed any of the owners/managers of stores in Thruway. Sadly, I don't think Trader Joe's will be coming to Winston. They are dividing the old Fresh Market store into two retail spaces.

2629523067_a69c2e48f9_b.jpg

The new Hanesbrands store is fully stocked and should be opening soon.

I am sure a Trader Joe's will be coming soon to one of the many projects around town. It seems like it would have a nice fit around West End Village and the baseball stadium neighborhood. Easy access from downtown, West End and Buena Vista. I personally don't know why Fresh Market couldn't open the new store and keep this one.

I always wondered why Saul Ctrs, which owns Thruway, never bout that vacant lot across the street next to the towers shopping center. It is a good piece of land for someone to develop. It could provide space for some new stores or a office building or even condos. Condos are needed on Stratford to bring more life to it in the night. It has the potential to become a Midtown night hotspot.

Winston's finest, I've always thought the same thing. "Midtown" has the potential to become a bustling, urban neigborhood. I feel very confident that Saul would/will buy that lot next to Towers and develop it as a "Thruway 2" (i.e Shops at Friendly) once plans for the light rail line down Stratford comes into focus.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Just a couple of updates since the last time this thread was active:

- Mattress Firm will be moving into the old Blockbuster space.

- Crews were doing soil tests on the old BP gas station site on Knollwood (near Chick-Fil-A). For those who don't know, this is usually an indication that something will be built on a piece of land. Though keep in mind that this may be because the gas tanks may still be located below the site. Either way, look for something to happen on this parcel within a year.

• 1 month later...
  • Jimmy John's is opening a new location on Stratford in the Norman Stockton space (they apparently have downsized) across from Thruway.
  • PartyCity is moving from Thruway into the recently renovated building on Stratford where S&K Menswear and Board Paradise used to be.

The PartyCity move will leave a sizable and noticeable space empty. Any thoughts on what may locate there?

Archived