Thruway Shopping Center

Hotlanta

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a Panera's or Moe's type of fast casual restaurant would work nicely there. Surely it won't take too long to lease out, especially with pretty good street frontage in an established shopping center.

Not sure what would fit. Moe's is already in Thruway and Panera's around the corner (kinda) at Cloverdale Shopping Center...

this space is kind of far from the other retail for it to be a clothing store but due to its mere size and the great frontage it could be a cool place for J.Crew. I think the Thruway consumer base would really love and appreciate the store and J.Crew's popular name would be enough to bring in the shoppers. It could be really spacious or the space could divide up into 2 or 3 spots.

If it is divided up it would also be perfect to include an Apple store here. Everybody shopping in the center and going down Stratford would be able to see it and easily access the store.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Im posting this here since talk of a grocery chain, new to the Triad market could be coming to the old Borders space. Thats coming from a WSTB user.

from facebook on W-S Trader Joes page:

According to an employee at the Chapel Hill TJ's, it was in the company newsletter that due to the opposition in GSO, TJ's WILL be coming to Winston. He didn't know where, and I'm getting this third hand (newsletter --> employee --> me), but he ASSURED me that's the case.

Just a rumor for now, Jon Lowder was the first to hear W-S TJ news back in January, then WSTB, and now this facebook user.

Im posting this here since talk of a grocery chain, new to the Triad market could be coming to the old Borders space. Thats coming from a WSTB user.

from facebook on W-S Trader Joes page:

According to an employee at the Chapel Hill TJ's, it was in the company newsletter that due to the opposition in GSO, TJ's WILL be coming to Winston. He didn't know where, and I'm getting this third hand (newsletter --> employee --> me), but he ASSURED me that's the case.

Just a rumor for now, Jon Lowder was the first to hear W-S TJ news back in January, then WSTB, and now this facebook user.

I don't think there are any plans at the moment for Trader Joe's to abandon Greensboro. Apparently there are some NIMBYs in Greensboro who don't want more retail development in their neighborhood and they certainly don't want to see homes demolished and land re-zoned from residential to commercial. I've heard rumors that if the developer looking to build a Trader Joe's in Greensboro fails at building on that site, there is another site near Friendly Center they are looking at. Obviously they prefer their first choice so publicly they want people to think this is the only site. Its also smart for some to spread misleading rumors that if they can't build on that site, they won't build in Greensboro at all. Its a good way to drum up vocal support to counter the 100 or so small vocal minority. The high end retailers and stores want to be at Friendly Center in the Greensboro market and so there are different factions against change. The nearby resident don't want to see more retail coming towards their neighborhood and I've heard that a few years back either Neiman Marcus or Saks Fifth Ave wanted to come to Friendly Center but Macy's and Belk lobbied against them. Similar to Harris Teeter wanting to be the only grocery store at Friendly but Whole Foods and Trader Joe's found loop holes in the contract.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Greensboro-based specialty toy retailer Toys & Co. this week will open a second Triad location at the Thruway Shopping Center in Winston-Salem, the TBJ reports. The 5,000-square-foot store will open at 406 S. Stratford Road, the former home of women's retailer Coldwater Creek, Matt Peel manager of the Friendly Center store announced. The store has been a presence in the Triad's retail community since at least 1987, when it was purchased by Larry and Nancy Holcomb. Since then, Toys & Co. has grown to include two locations in Charlotte and another in Myrtle Beach, S.C.

The Thruway Center location will be Toys & Co.'s first Winston-Salem store, Peel said. "After several attempts to kind of get together with them, it hadn't ever really worked out," Peel said. "This year, everything seemed to fall into place — the timing, the spot opening up and working out the lease." Peel said the store would hire between 15 and 20 workers in preparation for the holiday season.

• 3 weeks later...

Ham's Restaurants announces the opening of their newest location at Thruway Center.

Renovations have been on-going at 327 Lower Mall Drive in Winston-Salem, in the space formerly occupied by
The Fox & Hound, over the past three months, and the new Ham's is expected to open on or about
November 18, 2014.

Ham's Restaurants president Rocky Scarfone said, “We are proud to be a part of the lineup of great shops and
restaurants at the Thruway Center, and we look forward to bringing an all new Ham's experience to Winston-
Salem. Since June, we have been putting together some new additions for this Ham's location which are
tailored towards ensuring that every guest has a wonderful experience.”

Among the renovations at the soon to be opened Ham's Restaurant is the installation of an on-demand beer tap
wall that guests can operate and serve themselves.
“Our new beer wall will be a unique and fun way to experience the vast variety of craft beers that are rotated
frequently,” stated Scarfone.

In addition to a newly renovated exterior and interior, Ham's at Thruway Center features all of Ham's favorite
menu offerings plus some new surprises. There will be over 32 draft beers on tap, pool tables, dartboards, a
ping-pong table, over 50 high definition televisions, three 110' high definition TVs and the Triad's only Sound
HoundTM system, which will enable guests to listen to whichever game they want right at their own table

Archived