I40/White Bridge Rd./Briley Parkway Construction

FrijolMalo

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know someone over at TDOT and I had asked him about this same thing. The site is only saying that phase one is complete. and he agrees that the site is a little mis-leading to this fact. There are two things stopping this project from bring completed right now. One, funding has to be approved for the rest of the project, and two, they have to wait for other projects to finish around Nashville.

Is that the one that has the huge concrete pillar monument? ... A concrete pillar in the middle that looks to be brand new, but nothing attached to the top of it? :thumbsup:

Can they turn that big unused pillar into something? Like a "gateway to West Nashville" or "only 243 miles to Tunica?"

urbanbna is correct. Phase II has not been funded.

Other phases of projects not funded around here include:

Phase III of I-65 north (Trinity Lane to Dickerson Pike) 5 lane expansion

Phase IV of I-65 north (South bound I-65 to Briley Prkwy East) bridge/ramp

Hwy 840 South - under construction

I-440 smartway - in progress (includes expanding down I-24 a little)

Phase II of Briley/I-40 interchange - as discussed

After that, a few interchanges around town (I-40 new Mt. Juliet exit, I-65 McEwen Rd. (Nissan) are under construction

I'd expect the next big projects would be:

I-65 - 4 lanes from Hwy 96 to Hwy 840

I-440 east (between I-65 and I-24) - 3 lanes

I-65 north Phase III

Also, TDOT is (finally) developing a 10-year plan. When this is available, we'll be able to see much more on the status of projects, the order, and when they will be funded. Ky does an excellant job of this if anyone wishes to see an example.

Anybody have any idea when the whole mess on the east side of Nashville will be complete? I'm talkin about the I40/Briley intersection.... and Briley north up to the Opry area. I know they're working on it right now... just wondered when they expect to be done. It's a pain to drive :wacko:

The I-40/Briley interchange is moving ahead of schedule. It is currently expected to be complete in Dec. (yes, 06 - this year). The stretch of Briley from Elm Hill to Opryland shouldn't be too far behind (guessing <6 months?), but I have no update on that part.

I think that when the rest of the interchange is completed at Whitebridge, then you will see a lot of through truck traffic diverted around the north loop off at I-40 @ Briley and swing around the north. The State recently raised the bridge at James Ave. between Robertson and Centennial too acomadate oversize loads. I guess you could look at the north Briley loop as a northern I-440. I dont know for sure, but this is what I suspect and would make sense for the long range traffic plan. I look for the second phase of the Briley/Whitebridge interchange to be funded in the next couple of years. Again this is speculation, but I think that will be close on the timetable. I am sure they want to get the eastern part of Briley finished before they start something else.

I would also suspect the State will have to rework the I-24/ Briley interchanges at a later date too because of the amount of traffic and the inefficient way it is designed now. I would look for either traffic signals at the Ashland City exit @ Briley or added ramps there as well as the traffic increases on the north side.

Remember this is just speculation on my part and my opinion, but there is going to be a tremendous amount of growth on that side f town and they will have to be ahead of the game.

I always hear people making a big deal about how under utilized these fly overs are but back in the day people thought building briley parkway from white bridge road on opryland was a stupid idea and now the road is flowing with traffic every day. I believe they are two steps ahead of the game because of all the talk about Bells Bend being developed. That area is huge and it wont be long before before the population of the area increases by huge amounts. I live right by the Briley I40 interchange and ive noticed its much much eaiser for me to get home then it was before the flyovers were built. Phase 2 will take even more traffic off of the white bridge robertson road intersection. As stated in an earlier post phase two will make it truely convient for truckers and poeople just passing through to by pass the downtown loop without ever exiting the interstate. I know they were expensive but it wont be too long before pepole understand the huge impact its going to have on inner loop traffic. Its already helped a great deal with neighborhood traffic around the interchange.

Couple of notes:

840 South route approval for the final leg was announced yesterday, maybe it will be built within 5 years if we're lucky. This project will make a major impact on truck traffic through DT loop. It's saddening to know the north 840 is on hold; the link from I-40 past Gallatin to I-65 would bring much relief IMO to I-24 and I-65

Mack Hatcher in Franklin, route for western portion has been approved for a while and could possibly be funded this year or next. It will be 4 lanes, divided hwy. Too bad it doesn't connect to I-65 (I guess that might make the road too useful)

I'd expect the Phase II of Briley west to be years away due to lack of benefits; but it's a 'smaller' project, so hope. Truck traffic would be ill-advised to use the western leg of Briley - it's too hilly and dangerous (for trucks)

I always hear people making a big deal about how under utilized these fly overs are but back in the day people thought building briley parkway from white bridge road on opryland was a stupid idea and now the road is flowing with traffic every day. I believe they are two steps ahead of the game because of all the talk about Bells Bend being developed. That area is huge and it wont be long before before the population of the area increases by huge amounts. I live right by the Briley I40 interchange and ive noticed its much much eaiser for me to get home then it was before the flyovers were built. Phase 2 will take even more traffic off of the white bridge robertson road intersection. As stated in an earlier post phase two will make it truely convient for truckers and poeople just passing through to by pass the downtown loop without ever exiting the interstate. I know they were expensive but it wont be too long before pepole understand the huge impact its going to have on inner loop traffic. Its already helped a great deal with neighborhood traffic around the interchange.

You are right on!!!

Its a whole lot better to get this done now before the growth hits and it cheaper to build now too. It will be needed in the very near future and may not even be enough.

the link from I-40 past Gallatin to I-65 would bring much relief IMO to I-24 and I-65

I'm so far removed from this debate, but (from what I understand) there isn't the political will to build the north loop. Surprisingly, the leaders in Sumner County don't want this anymore than the most vocal opponents. I'm not familiar with their public statements, but I can just look on the map and see that current plans to go from I-40 north (along HWY 109) all the way to I-65 at Portland will funnel a lot of traffic through Gallatin. I believe the whole northern leg of HWY 109 to Portland is already u/c. In addition, the Viet Vets Expwy off I-65 into Hendersonville is u/c all the way to Gallatin. So I think it's understandable why Sumner doesn't have nearly the strong support of 840 (North). I guess they're being realistic/pragmatic considering the differences in costs b/n the two options.

Finally, State Rep. Dianne Black has been pushing hard for a bridge over the Cumberland to hook into Old HIckory and Briley Pky. Perhaps, she feels like her chances are better to get this through quicker if money isn't tied up in 840.

I'd expect the Phase II of Briley west to be years away due to lack of benefits; but it's a 'smaller' project, so hope. Truck traffic would be ill-advised to use the western leg of Briley - it's too hilly and dangerous (for trucks)

What are the phases? Is phase 1 the portion already u/c (from I-40 to I-65)? Plus, do you know when the leg between I-24 and I-40 near the Airport will be upgraded?

Couple of notes:

840 South route approval for the final leg was announced yesterday, maybe it will be built within 5 years if we're lucky. This project will make a major impact on truck traffic through DT loop. It's saddening to know the north 840 is on hold; the link from I-40 past Gallatin to I-65 would bring much relief IMO to I-24 and I-65

I very mixed emotions about 840. I'm looking forward to to completion of the southern route in about three years, I hope, and I'm happy to hear that the final leg has FINALLY been approved. However, I'm really concerned that this road will ultimately serve as the biggest future influence on suburban sprawl that there is. I hate suburban sprawl and I wish civic leader throughout the entire Middle Tennessee area would get together and come up with a comphehensive plan to limit sprawl in the Nashville Metro area (all 13 counties should play an active role). I'm glad for now that the North portion of 840 has been put on hold.

Mack Hatcher in Franklin, route for western portion has been approved for a while and could possibly be funded this year or next. It will be 4 lanes, divided hwy. Too bad it doesn't connect to I-65 (I guess that might make the road too useful)

This, to me, is very exciting. We've been waiting for this for several years now. And it's already past I-65. It would be impossible to connect with the Interstate. Besides, Cool Springs Boulevard already acts as a link between the two, and there would be no room for another Interstate exit there.

Oh boy, can of worms opened.

SR-840 - In general, this road does not have the design to promote suburban sprawl. Yes, there will be some isolated cases associated with it. This will happen around the legs (I-65, I-24, and I-40 east); but the growth in these areas will be along the legs - not the bypass. In these cases, the bypass will be used as a connector to the legs. This can be good; example - the new Super Speedway. Movement of goods and people along this route will keep traffic out of DT area. Murfreesboro and Lebanon benefit due to locations outside of the loop. Franklin is inside the loop by only 5 miles, but it will not be beneficial to them in terms of sprawl.

Think live in Murf. and work in Cool Springs - do you really want that drive? Old Fort Prkwy exit to Cool Springs Blvd. exit example:

1) I-24 to 840 to I-65 = 35 miles

2) I-24 to Bell Rd/OHB to I-65 = 34 miles

Surprising? I'm sorry I know this - really! But my point is this: yes 840 is the better route, but it is not a great route for a 'burb sprawler. We need Cool Springs connected to Sam Ridley to help inner city traffic in this example.

840 is a get-of-town and bypass-town road. It is designed to not be 'convenient' for those around the loop. I have too much experience on I-65 and I-24 going all directions with a little I-40 experience, but all of these roads have enough trucks to easily fill one highway lane. Get the truck traffic on 840 and out of DT and we will drive in a different world - called a city.

What are the phases? Is phase 1 the portion already u/c (from I-40 to I-65)? Plus, do you know when the leg between I-24 and I-40 near the Airport will be upgraded?

This is the I-40/Briley Prkwy interchange on the western side of Nashville (towards Memphis)

Phase I was completed in Nov.

1) Construction of flyover for sb Briley to eb I-40

2) Construction of flyover for wb I-40 to nb Briley

3) Addition of 1 lane to I-40 between White Bridge Rd to I-440

4) Upgrade White Bridge Rd interchanges to eb I-40 and from wb I-40

Phase II is to be

1) Construction of flyover for eb I-40 to nb Briley

2) Construction of new ramp from sb Briley to wb I-40

3) Upgrade White Bridge Rd interchanges to wb I-40 and from eb I-40

For the I-40/Briley Prkwy interchange on the eastern side of Nashville (near airport), this interchange is under construction now and is scheduled to be completed in Dec. 06 and includes Briley south to Karen Dr. (which is one block south of I-40) with 6 lanes

http://www.tdot.state.tn.us/i40/

I-24 to just past Murf. Rd has already been upgraded - some. It is not to interstate standards and I know of no plans to make it so. For the rest (Murf. Rd. to Karen Dr), I have not heard of any plans for this. I think connecting to I-24 with an Interstate standard rd would be good, but I'm not in charge...

As for 840 North, there are problems in the Gallatin area. SR-109 must be widened to meet the demands of local traffic. The bypass around Gallatin is functional. I don't know the status from there to Portland.

The mindset is that 109 widening must occur; so why build the 840 stretch from I-40 to I-65? It costs a lot of money, duplicates 109, and the proposed alignment is horrible. These are the main reasons it has been struck down. Others are: another bridge across Old Hickory Lake, people along the path don't want to sell land, local leaders afraid for various reasons, and local people to that area will not benefit from it (which is somewhat true). It's kind of like, "Can we build a railroad through your backyard?"

The benefit to building this leg would be to get truck traffic from I-65 south and I-24 east to I-65 north. There are stats to prove this. But for the other two stretches (I-40 west to I-24 west to I-65 north) there are not enough stats on paper to truely justify them. One thing that can be assured though; a truck travelling from Atlanta to Louisville would use a contiguous 840, but will opt not to use 109 due to stop lights and 55 mph speed limit (vs 70 mph on 840).

Thanks goes to our forward thinking brains at UT for this one. They should've broken down the need for each leg individually. They think a bypass for I-75 is good for Knoxville, but a bypass for Nashville is wasted money. Next time, let's ask Vandy to do the study, they have to drive here...

As for Mack Hatcher, I don't know that area well enough to make the call on that one. I can see that Cool Springs Blvd is the connector today and it has a dim future. I know that the new McEwen exit can't be extended without ripping a seam through a bunch of houses, which no politician will ever support.

Oh well, the mayor of Franklin has already stated that Nashville is only a place to visit during Titan's games anyway...

Archived