Photos of Bristols

MidTenn1

Tennessee and Virginia, that is. The City that sits astride the state line with about 24k in Tennessee and 17k in Virginia. And one of the 'tri-cities' in the Tri-Cities Consolidated Metro Area of about 450k population.

Haven't found a good place to get a decent skyline picture, although there is more height and density than you might think

Bristol004.jpg

This is Stateline Street (Tennessee to the left and Virginia to the Right). Each state paves their own half of the road.

bristol007.jpg

Some of the aforemention density:

bristol008.jpg

And height. A whopping 10 storeys tall.

bristol005.jpg

Not one, but two;

bristol009.jpg

This is where a security guard asked what I was doing. "Just taking pictures, Sir.

"We don't allow no picture taking around here."

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bristol feels like such a big city, the downtown grid of both Bristol's just seems to keep going. When I travel up there for the Fun Ford Weekends in Aug at Thunder Valley I always make an attempt to head up to downtown just to see what is happening. One of my favorite towns in Tennessee.

It's just to bad most folks only relate the area with 2 Nascar races a year.

Thanks for the downtown Bristol pics. I've been to downtown Kingsport and Johnson City, but never to Bristol. It does seem that there is quite a bit of density there.

Glad to share.

One thing that is facinating about Bristol is the notable difference between the Virginia and the Tennessee halves. Bristol VA has a little more northeastern feel in its housing and a little more economically depressed it seems.

Its odd that you can notice a difference by just crossing the street.

• 2 weeks later...

PHofKS - thanks for those photos! I am from Bristol and have a skyline photo (see below) that you may like to see. It looks like you took your photo of the skyline just below where I took mine. I see the same fence I believe in your photo that shows in mine. I actually took mine from the street up from there. I had went all over trying to get a good view of downtown and this was about the best one I could find. I will post a few others that I have taken. I really like the one of Fort Shelby Towers that you posted there- I do not have one of it from that viewpoint. I did take a closer one of Edgemont Towers that I will post too. You may already have some from these vantage points, but just incase - here they are. Thanks again for posting the other photos- I enjoyed them- including the ones on State St. facing west.

I am new here to these boards- they were recommended to me by someone who saw my photos of Bristol on the skyscraper page and I am glad they did. This site is great. I cannot wait to dig into it and see what all is here.

Anyway- I live here in Bristol - on the outskirts of the city, on the southeast side, but only about 10-15 minutes from downtown. I have lived here all of my life. I am bored with it, but it is home. Sometimes I think I would like to live elsewhere, but like they say - "there is no place like home". :D

Anyway, I took the following photos in late September of 2005, with my old camera- so sorry for the low quality. I am soon going to take some with my new camera, but want to wait until spring.

DowntownBristol1.jpg

IMG00012.jpg

DowntownBristol2Bank.jpg

BristolTNdowntown.jpg

DowntownBristol3ExecutivePlaza.jpg

DowntownBristol4.jpg

bristolsept05.jpg

BristolStateSt.jpg

BristolTVstation-WCYB.jpg

Bristoltrainstation.jpg

BristolVA1.jpg

Thanks again!

Glad to share.

One thing that is facinating about Bristol is the notable difference between the Virginia and the Tennessee halves. Bristol VA has a little more northeastern feel in its housing and a little more economically depressed it seems.

Its odd that you can notice a difference by just crossing the street.

You know what is ironic? I just noticed and it looks like your photos were taken the same time of day as mine! Notice the sun angle. Do you recall what month yours were taken?

Also- I just went to the "Kingsport" photos site and seen where you had a photo of Bristol from the same viewpoint as mine that I posted on your other thread. Seems like you had found that spot that I had found too to take that photo from. :)

I had wanted a skyline photo of downtown Bristol for years, but never could find one, so thats when I decided last year to get it myself. All along- you had some here. Would have saved me a trip. :D Well, I was able to get some other photos too, so it was worth it. Thanks again for posting those photos. The buildings look more visible in your photo on the Kingsport photo thread. The sky was darker and they seemed to show up better than on the ones with the sunshine on mine.

Thanks again.

Thanks TennesseeStorm,

I took the photos a day or two before I posted them. That would be about Feb 6 in the late afternoon.

I get to travel around the State and enjoy my trips to the tri-cities. One of my daughters attended ETSU, so I had extra incentive to visiit and linger. Considering it is one of the top 100 cmsa's (450,000+/-) in America, it is unusual that there is no one City of more than 60,000. So it is lacking in some of the urban facilities the larger Cities have, such as concerts and shows. But there is still a lot to offer up there. If I had to leave Middle Tennessee, the tri-cities would be my first choice.

I sure anyone could get bored anywhere, but the tri-cities seem to have plenty of good distractions about. I enjoy theater and have visited the Barter Theater in Abingdon several times. It is a regional theater and presents top notch shows. There is plenty of baseball with the Appalachian League providing four teams in the area. My seat at the Johnson City Cardinals game put me closer to the batter than the pitcher was. And it was only $5.00. And my daughter who is by the way now in school in Atlanta would rather be in Johnson City. She loves to ski and do outdoors activities in the mountains.

There are also plenty of good and unique restaurants throughout the area, but there is a lack of upscale shopping.

You could always live in Nashville an buy $50 hockey tickets, $900 footbal season tickets (if you can get them) and eat a $100 meal for two at a fancy restaurant. Don't sell the tri-cities area short.

Thanks. I should have known it was not too long ago - I did not even notice the lack of leaves on the trees. Its been a long week. :)

Yeah, I have friends and families in larger cities and all of them love this area and if I went anywhere else to live, like you said - I would probably be quick to move back. A lot of my family lives here and we have great churches, shops and like you said- decent prices.

I probably just need to get out and travel more, rather than staying in town all of the time. I have not been on a good vacation in a couple of years, but when we do go, after 3 days, I am ready to return, so perhaps I am not as bored as I say I am. :D

Like you said- anyone could get bored most anywhere if they have been there long enough - even my family in Los Angeles gets "bored" with it- you are right, so perhaps a simple vacation is in order for me. :D We are supposed to visit relatives in Jacksonville, FL this summer and meet my family from Raleigh in Charlotte in April perhaps.

Anyway- the city seems to really be growing very good now, after an extended lull, so I think my being bored with the city may soon be over. Downtown has some exciting projects going on, as does the southwest side near the speedway and even the northeast side- on the exit 7 I-81 area- which is becoming a mini-city in itself. The local freeway is getting more and more traffic. Part of I-81 that runs through the metro area has been upgraded to a 6-lane as opposed to a 4-lane and message boards along the freeway are probably signs that the city is growing.

I am really anxious to see what is in store next for the city. Thanks again.

Thanks TennesseeStorm,

I took the photos a day or two before I posted them. That would be about Feb 6 in the late afternoon.

I get to travel around the State and enjoy my trips to the tri-cities. One of my daughters attended ETSU, so I had extra incentive to visiit and linger. Considering it is one of the top 100 cmsa's (450,000+/-) in America, it is unusual that there is no one City of more than 60,000. So it is lacking in some of the urban facilities the larger Cities have, such as concerts and shows. But there is still a lot to offer up there. If I had to leave Middle Tennessee, the tri-cities would be my first choice.

I sure anyone could get bored anywhere, but the tri-cities seem to have plenty of good distractions about. I enjoy theater and have visited the Barter Theater in Abingdon several times. It is a regional theater and presents top notch shows. There is plenty of baseball with the Appalachian League providing four teams in the area. My seat at the Johnson City Cardinals game put me closer to the batter than the pitcher was. And it was only $5.00. And my daughter who is by the way now in school in Atlanta would rather be in Johnson City. She loves to ski and do outdoors activities in the mountains.

There are also plenty of good and unique restaurants throughout the area, but there is a lack of upscale shopping.

You could always live in Nashville an buy $50 hockey tickets, $900 footbal season tickets (if you can get them) and eat a $100 meal for two at a fancy restaurant. Don't sell the tri-cities area short.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if anyone has seen this one, but here is a photo of one my postcards - an aerial view from 1962 of Bristol TN-VA. Several of the buildings pictured here are now gone, in favor of newer buildings. Also, four of the tallest buildings now in town are not pictured here, as they were built in the 70s and 80s.

bbb39c34.jpg

Yeah, it was very dense back then. Until around the late 60s, that was "the" place for shopping in Bristol. Beginning in the 60s (so I am told - I was not even born :D) the city started spreading out, with all of the new supermarkets and shopping plazas. About the parking - more parking now than then, but there are a lot more cars now obviously. Several buildings were rebuilt where some of those are gone, some with parking spaces, but parking downtown is still extremely limited. Because of this, a new multi-level parking garage has been approved for building in the side parking lot, adjoining State St (street down the middle) and the local NBC (WCYB) TV station - on the corner of State St. and Randall Expressway. It is vital to the current revitalization of downtown, as several apartments (lofts) are going in down there.

Shortly, I will edit that photo of downtown and do my best to show what buildings are gone, where the parking is now, etc.

Another interesting thing is that my grandparents house (on dads side) is located at the very top (nearly center) of that photo. Also, at the top there where all of the trees are - there are a lot less trees there now and more houses, but still several trees remain in that residential area.

There is a lot of density in those two pictures. Have any of the buildings shown been torn down to make way for parking?

Shortly, I will edit that photo of downtown and do my best to show what buildings are gone, where the parking is now, etc.

I look forward to seeing the comparison. I do hope that Bristol builds more garages rather than creating more open parking lots in the future. That, would allow the dense feel of the area to continue. Still it's important that the downtown area stays viable, so adequate parking must be available.

OK - lets try this. It is very difficult, as some of the buildings I am unsure about. When you look at them from an aerial view, you are like- "is that still here". :D

The drawings in the photo may be difficult to see, but I will explain what the colors are. Not sure if some of the info in green is completely accurate, but it is close. I am hoping to get a current aerial view of downtown from the same view. I am in contact with the city now, to see if an updated aerial is available. If not, my second alternative is to get my uncles brother in law (who lives in Cleveland, OH) to take an aerial the next time he flies his plane down, but that may be a few months.

Anyway, here goes with what the colors I added on the map mean:

Light GREEN : Area of buildings that are mostly gone and have been replaced with newer buildings.

YELLOW : Buildings that I am sure are gone in place for newer larger buildings. That "lower yellow circle" now is where that large building "Shelby Towers" is at now (I went and checked and the 4th photo down on this topic is now the building where the yellow is). The "upper yellow circle" is now a bank and to the right of that now is now a homeless shelter (Salvation army) - to the right of there- a new 4-lane road is going in to bypass a large factory not seen in photo.

BLUE : Those buildings (used to be supermarkets) are now gone and now a very newly built YMCA is on that corner. One building there was torn down there in the early 90s - one behind it was demolished in the early 2000s.

PINK : Across street from the blue is now a small shopping center that was built in the 70s. Still a ice cream shop on the corner. Also a gas station in that strand. The pink circle to the right is another gas station that was built in the late 1990s-early 2000s.

DARK GREEN : is approximately where the new million $ library is now located.

WHITE : A newer 7-8 story bank (with one level parking garage on the 2nd floor) is now there. Built in the early 70s.

I hope this is not too confusing. As mentioned, I hope to get a new aerial view soon.

For some reason - the "white and dark green" marking did not stay for some reason.

b7d4e60f.jpg

I look forward to seeing the comparison. I do hope that Bristol builds more garages rather than creating more open parking lots in the future. That, would allow the dense feel of the area to continue. Still it's important that the downtown area stays viable, so adequate parking must be available.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hmm. Thats a tough question. I would say they are about the same. More people live on the Tennessee side ( a few thousand more) of Bristol if that is any help. However, there is more "low cost" housing (the projects) on the Virginia side of Bristol. Both cities seem to have the same number of buildings in the downtown area, with the Virginia side perhaps having an "extra" taller buildings and the new state of the art multi-million $ library is also on the Virginia side of Bristol. Also, due to cheaper taxes in Virginia, that side of the city is much busier as far as shopping goes. The exit 7 area of I-81 in Bristol, VA is very hustle and bustle. Its like a city within a city. Tons of restaurants, convention centers, a large supermarket, multiple shopping plazas, two home improvement stores (Home Depot and Lowes), and of course a Super Wal-Mart, which was the store that was built in 1993-94 that started all of the developement there in that area. Before that, it was nothing more than a few service stations, a small supermarket (now out of business, or should I say "pushed" out of business) and farmland. How it has changed since 1993 is amazing. Even a large stretch of the freeway along there was increased to 6 lanes, from 4 lanes and message boards installed along various parts of the freeway (Interstate 81) in Bristol. I bet it will not be too long before the "Smartway" cameras will be installed in this part of the metro area. I think that the Tri-Cities is the ONLY metro area in the state still without "Smartway" camera/highway monitoring systems, which is strange, considering how busy our local freeways are (I-81 and I-26).

Sorry, I got carried away and strayed away from the question at hand, but hopefully this post is informative.

Ive been curious, what side of Bristol is considered to be in better shape and overall more urban. The Virginia or Tennessee side?

• 5 months later...

Hey! Okay I haven't been on this forum in a very long time!! always busy on skyscrapercity...but I must check urbanplanet out more..

As for the Tri-cities..I love it. I am orgin. from Haysi, VA (2 1/2 hours away) My family moved to Abingdon/Bristol in 92 when I finished high school and joined the navy. As a teen I always wanted to live in the Tri-Cities....my first mall was Bristol!

I was just in Bristol last week. Have some pics and will get them posted on here..but until there here is a great postcard (60/70's) and I can't find a newer view of Bristol like this..so if you have one...please let me know.

BristolVA-TN004.jpg

VA side is on the right of the postcard/TN on the left.

Archived