Photos of Bristols

MidTenn1

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the spectacular photos of Bristol Ken! I live in Bristol (southeast side), not too far from that mountain that you see in the background there (Holston Mtn.) (as you may have read somewhere on this post with my lousy photos of downtown - lol) and I did not even realize that the view of downtown was that great from the new library overlooking downtown. I have some photos here somewhere overlooking the downtown area from the only spot I thought was available to take them from- looks like I was wrong- but I think it may be one of the few spots to get a full view of the downtown in one photo. Also, at the time, the camera I had was not that great and it was either cloudy or hazy, etc. Yours are very clear and crisp. I am going to try to get some good "night" photos overlooking downtown sometime this week.... I may go to that spot you took these from and see how it looks.

ALSO- thanks for the aerial photo of downtown. Yeah, that is from the 60s to mid 1970s it seems, because I do not see see Leisure Park Towers, Fort Shelby Towers, Edgemont Towers - all of which are taller buildings in town and I also see that the old steel yard building is still standing in that photo. I think that went away in the early 80s. So, there have been a lot of changes since this aerial view - many buildings have been built and some have been torn away, but its still very neat to see. I have one similar from about the same era.... I need to find it and post it here. I also have one from the 40s. I would also love to find a NEWER aerial of downtown- at least within the last 10 years, but they seem to be non-existant. I just realized that my uncles brother in law owns his own airplane and sometimes flies down here from Cleveland. Next time he comes in, I think I will ask my uncle if he will get him to take an aerial shot of downtown for me! I never thought of that. -_-

Thanks again for posting!

Here is something you may enjoy. I have an old topography map from the 1950s-70s? that I have had for many years. It shows parts of northeast and east central Tennessee, southwest Virginia (extreme) and extreme southeast Kentucky. I will post a few and more close-ups of areas later. You can see where the mountains are located in the area. If you look southeast of Bristol, you can see that mountain on this map. Keep in mind, that this was 35-45 years ago, so many roads that exist now are not on there. I think I have one here of the entire Tri-Cities metro. On the photo showing the entire map, that southwesternmost city in the lower left corner is Knoxville- so you can get your bearings.

100_3675-1.jpg

100_3675.jpg

100_3668.jpg

100_3670.jpg

100_3673.jpg

The top of that bottom photo "bleeds" in with the one above it, so do not let that confuse you. Its where the colors are so much the same. I was just looking and I-81 is not complete, so you know this is old. :)

No problem. I wish I had more of these maps, but I have not been able to locate any. I am not sure if the company is even still in business. One of my dads friends offered me $1000 for this map about 10 years ago, but I refused it. I just like to too much I guess. LOL. I would like to have a larger scale map of the entire southeast- or at least the entire southern Appalachain region.

The only other place I remember seeing any of these is at the Sycamore Shoals museum in Elizabethton. I think they have a slightly larger scale map.... its been years since I have been in there, so I cannot recall exactly.

Yeah, the Holston Mtn. is pretty high. Its the tallest area in these parts. There are observation towers there on the summit (it shows that it is 4200 ft.) - even a weather tower and weather cam- all of which can be found on Weatherbug. I can actually see the mountain from my side/front lawn in the winter when no leaves on the trees. I have not been on the mountain in years. Last time we went over it was when we went to Boone, NC- which is about 52 miles southeast of Bristol. My house is around 1500-1600 ft. above sea level, so there is a little contrast there. lol.

Thanks for posting the map. I didn't know Holston Mtn was that high (4,332 Ft), or that the AT ran across its summit. If I lived in the area I'd be hiking up in there quite often. I bet it beautiful up there.

No problem. I wish I had more of these maps, but I have not been able to locate any. I am not sure if the company is even still in business. One of my dads friends offered me $1000 for this map about 10 years ago, but I refused it. I just like to too much I guess. LOL. I would like to have a larger scale map of the entire southeast- or at least the entire southern Appalachain region.

The only other place I remember seeing any of these is at the Sycamore Shoals museum in Elizabethton. I think they have a slightly larger scale map.... its been years since I have been in there, so I cannot recall exactly.

Oh, so they are still available? It is excellent to know that! That made my day! :lol:

Thanks for that information and links! Yeah, if I had of known that, I would have taken the $1000! I think he really wanted this one, because it is so old. I have not seen the man in about 7 years. But I remember, everytime he would see me- he would say " are you ready to sell me that map "?

I am still glad I kept it, because my father gave it to me, so it has some sentimental value, but I am definitely going to try to get several of the updated "southeastern" regions and put them on my walls.

That would make me an excellent Christmas present! :D

Thanks again!

Just to reference where Tri-Cities is on the map....

TriCityTopo.jpg

Beautiful landscape everywhere.

Bays Mountain towers over Kingsport to the south and 3,000' +/- Buffalo Mountain rises just to the east of Johnson City. To the south of Johnson City, on I-26 and buried in a valley between high mountains is the revitalized town of Erwin, Tennessee. I-26 from Johnson City to Asheville, NC is one of the most scenic stretches of highway in the USA.

Elizabethton has 6,000' Roane Mountain just to the southeast, also.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is their website..... there is a link there for directions that seems to be very detailed. I would have to look at them myself, because despite being only about 25 miles away, I do not remember how to get there. Its been at least 10 years. :unsure: I really need to go back soon.

http://www.baysmountain.com/

How do you get to Bays Mountain?

• 1 month later...

Archived