• Alamance
    • Rockingham
    • Yadkin
    • Davie
    • Stokes
    • Surry
    • Randolph
    • Other Counties

Ok i see... thanks for clarifying the land swap stuff. That sounds right about Gibsonville's pop doubling by 2020. Can you even leave the town without seeing new homes somewhere now? I agree about Elon coming on its way up, as well. Apartment complexes are being built really in all directions around campus. As far as widening 70, its still up in the air about how it will be widened. I would prefer 4 lanes with a grassy median.

Gibsonville's population is set to double by 2010. A recent land swap between Burlington and gibsonville now has Gibsonville from US 70 to the north and Burlington to the south of US 70. Exit 138 is now within Burlington city limits. ( 3 miles from Stoney Creek exit 138 ) Also Brightwood Farms and the Ridge creek townhome community are slated to become Burlington eventhough Whitsett is in the way. This will make whitsett an island with Burlington and Gibsonville surrounding it. Here is some info on Brightwood...

Brightwood farms 1 Here is another link, notice the left side The article is back from 2004 I believe that most of those project either completed or underway. The annexation line they speak of is the one between Greensboro and Burlington that roughly divides Stoney Creek between the 2. By 2020 I'm sure Elon will become a destination of some sorts. It is already a beautiful college town growing by leaps and bounds every year since gaining university status. Does anyone when the widen 70 if it will be 4 lanes with a grassy median or 5 lanes (4 lanes plus center lane)? I hope its 4 lanes with a grassy median because Church Street does not need to meet Wendover Avenue in that fashion. This would only be an opening for bad development.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have lived in the eastern part of Gibsonville pretty much my whole life, so I know exactly what you are talking about. With respect to Burlington, I am very interested to see how Whitsett, Gibsonville, and Elon will grow. Gibsonville can grow to the north, west, and southwest, but not anywhere else because of Elon and Burlington. Elon can't grow anywhere but north because of Gibsonville to the west and Burlington to the east and south. Then for Whitsett, you have Brightwood Farms, which once completed, will likely at least double the town's current population of ~600 residents.

So by 2020, I think that Burlington will have a population of around 70,000 residents and grow as far west as Whitsett or Stoney Creek... and Greensboro will grow as far east as near Sedalia with a pop around 275,000-300,000. The drive from Greensboro to Burlington on Hwy 70 will feature all kinds of residential stuff with shopping centers, restaurants, suburbia, etc. Much more traffic. Much less in the way of a quiet country drive Hwy 70 used to be and still is in some parts. There is now a blinking light at Birch Creek Rd. and Hwy 70 prob in response to traffic issues coming from the 2 new large developments that connect mcleansville rd and birch creek..... signs of Greensboro's eastward progress. I thnk it will be similar to riding on I-85 from the Spencer/Concord area to Charlotte where now suburbia has connected the 2 areas and there is civilization area where back 15 years ago, there was some quiet time between the 2 cities.

I heard that it is projected that Alamance County's population will increase by 30% over the next ten years. Its the fastest growing county in the Triad.

I hope Greensboro doesn't annex McLeansville. I live there and it's fine just the way it is.

Yea I think McLeansville hasnt incorporated yet.

You must know Chris Daughtry on American Idol?

Your correct Twincity. It is Forsyth..

it may be both. I know Justin from the Triad Business Journal stated on the Good Morning Show on WFMY that Alamance will increase by 30% in ten years. I dont have any figures for Forsyth.

Greensboro is hooked up to Burlington's water system now. Burlington sells Greensboro water everyday. If Greensboro needs more water they have the option to purchase more from Burlington.

Winston-Salem sells water to Greensboro when they need it as well. Still, Everyday's point is a good one as water is going to become an increasingly precious commodity in the coming decades. Greensboro's lack of available water is yet another reason why the city should practice sensible planning and stop sprawling outwards with more subdivisions, big boxes, suburban office parks, etc but rather focus its growth on urban infill.

Winston-Salem sells water to Greensboro when they need it as well. Still, Everyday's point is a good one as water is going to become an increasingly precious commodity in the coming decades. Greensboro's lack of available water is yet another reason why the city should practice sensible planning and stop sprawling outwards with more subdivisions, big boxes, suburban office parks, etc but rather focus its growth on urban infill.

I agree. I guess what i meant was if they plan smart then it will not be as large of an issue than it would have been prior to the Randleman dam and them connecting to Burlington's water supply a couple of years ago.

I couldn't agree with you more Intclvcphlga. Yes GSO gets water from W-S and Burlington, but we talking about the year 2020. With the project growth of the Triad area, GSO will need another source or risk losing people and business due to tougher water restrictions. WS and Burlington help them now, but as these areas grow, will they be able to sustain their own needs and still help out their neighbor? Also, not saying any city is immune to sprawl, but GSO has seen a lot in recent years. Since we are taking about 14 years from now...will there be space available for an additional watershed?

• 3 weeks later...

I think we are going to see major growth in all the Triad cities but i think with the upcoming interstates/urban loop, the airport and FedEx, Greensboro will see the most growth/development in the next 20 years. Those factors will give Greensboro the edge over any o fthe other cities.

I agree 100%

I think water wise Greensboro should be okay as long as we don't have multiple long droughts like the one from 3-4 years ago responsible for nearly drying up many lakes in the Triad area. Greensboro and Guilford county is not seeing the growth of Wake county and Mecklenburg county. 14 years down the road they'll still be in good shape. I don't think the Randleman dam was designed to aide Greensboro and its growth for only 20 years.

• 2 weeks later...

I think we might have light rail, but only between two of the cities like Winston or Greensboro. That might go a different way and be G-boro and H-Point. With the Stratford Road corridor being a light rail corridor too. There will probley be a commuter rail or at least intercity rail connecting all three cities and a line probley still being constructed to bring traffic down threw Mocksville and to Charlotte. Amtrak(or whats ever left) might have trains running from Ronaoke down threw Winston and to Charlotte(via. Lexington). Bus transit will be all over the triad. 74/73 will be complete and sprawl will make 85 from t-ville to orange county a dense looking suburb. 311 between H-point and winston will probley be some sort of office park with lots and lots of sprawl. A new mall type thing like that of the failed Universtiy Place will probley reside in this area. There still will be some rual pockets even in the "Heart of the Triad" but overall the Triad cities will be much more developed. High Point will probley just getting it's downtown to Greensboro's level and G-boro and Winston will be at the point Charlotte is today. Just a lil more street retail tho.

• 2 weeks later...

The Triad could support a team if they promote it to the Triangle and the Charlotte area b/c we're in the middle.

Yea, but what sort of team will you attract? The only thing left in the major leagues is MLB. And a stadium has to have proximity to a downtown district to truely survive well. The only true candidates for that are Charlotte, Raleigh and only possibly Greensboro. Out of ten I'd give Charlotte 5 votes, Raleigh 4, and G-boro 1. And that's not because of bias, because I only live in Charlotte now, I don't consider myself to be from Charlotte. If you look at most MLB teams that are successful in attendance numbers, most are in urban atmospheres.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The NHL failed in Greensboro. Only when teams like the NY Rangers, Pittsburgh Penguins or Philadelphia Flyers would come into town, they would get sell outs most of the time. A lot of people from Raleigh & Charlotte would drive out to see the opposing team play.

NHL Attendance:

----------------------------------1997-98 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 1998-99 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 1999-00 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 2000-01 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 2001-02 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 2002-03

Carolina Hurricanes (GBO)-----9086---{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}--8188

Carolina Hurricanes (RAL)--------------------------{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}-12401----{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 13346 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 15052 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 15682

The NHL failed in Greensboro. Only when teams like the NY Rangers, Pittsburgh Penguins or Philadelphia Flyers would come into town, they would get sell outs most of the time. A lot of people from Raleigh & Charlotte would drive out to see the opposing team play.

NHL Attendance:

----------------------------------1997-98 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 1998-99 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 1999-00 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 2000-01 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 2001-02 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 2002-03

Carolina Hurricanes (GBO)-----9086---{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}--8188

Carolina Hurricanes (RAL)--------------------------{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}-12401----{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 13346 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 15052 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 15682

The Carolina Hurricans were in Greensboro?

• 6 months later...

Archived