Has anybody seen this?

it's just dave

It seems someone in Louisville plans to build a "freaky-looking" building downtown, and since this is a forum of skyscraper lovers, I'd like to know what you guys think about his. It's a 61-story, 700-footer, but very, very unusual in design.

My personal jury is still out, but it sure takes 'nads to propose something like this is what is generally thought of as a conservative market.

What do you guys think? I say go for it, it'll be fun to go see. I can't (or wouldn't want to) see anything like this here, but L'ville has a lot of wide open spaces. To me, it just looks freakishly large. I dunno.

The $75 million in infrastructure from the city and state might be problematic, but I speak only from Tennessee references.

I'm posting this as somewhat of a "field trip" to our neighbor to the north.

Oh, well, here goes:

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.d.../602090386/1008

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for sharing Dave,

Interesting building but I agree not for Nashville. What the heck are they thinking? It reminds me of a lego set gone rouge. It is just 'too' much. Take away the away the elevator or the raised platform or one of the 4 or 5 towers (please) and then maybe you have a building(s) that works. And this is coming from a person who loves most contemporay architecture.

Looks like some deep pockets are behind it so I expect it will be built without any major changes. It will prove to be a sight on my drives to Chicago.

It seems someone in Louisville plans to build a "freaky-looking" building downtown, and since this is a forum of skyscraper lovers, I'd like to know what you guys think about his. It's a 61-story, 700-footer, but very, very unusual in design.

My personal jury is still out, but it sure takes 'nads to propose something like this is what is generally thought of as a conservative market.

What do you guys think? I say go for it, it'll be fun to go see. I can't (or wouldn't want to) see anything like this here, but L'ville has a lot of wide open spaces. To me, it just looks freakishly large. I dunno.

The $75 million in infrastructure from the city and state might be problematic, but I speak only from Tennessee references.

I'm posting this as somewhat of a "field trip" to our neighbor to the north.

Oh, well, here goes:

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.d.../602090386/1008

The novelty of its horribleness would thrill us for a while, but the children of Louisville would curse their parents for it. It is Bladerunner and 1984 at their most heinous. The problem with buildings which are "cool" or "cutting-edge" instead of legitimately beautiful is an obvious one: as soon as they stop being "bleeding-leading edge," are found to be devoid of all merit whatsoever. This building's only enduring virtues will be its underground parking and the childishly puzzling, obese, terrifying charm of Ghost Busters' Stay Puft Marshmellow Man. It is bad.

In the many times I have seen the History Channel I remember the one about the Sears Tower. The Sears tower was designed by taking identical tubes and stacking them in different ways with fewer and fewer as you go higher until you finally top out with 2. Of course the Sears Tower isn

AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is this a joke? This can not be happening. What is Louisville thinking? Have we not learned from past mistakes? First, it is hideous. Second it is very anti-urban. At first blush, I do not think you could do any worse than this. It looks like an oil rig was their inspiration. I am sure the designers will take pride in the criticism, thinking that they are cutting edge and the rest of the world has not caught up to their brilliant vision of the future.

As a side note, I have noticed a few comments over the last week about the forum being a skyscraper lovers forum. I hope that is not the case. I don't think it is. Though it does seem like the majority of people are pro-skyscraper, I was hoping it was for those who love urban design. We may not agree what is good urban design, but at least we have fun discussing it. Though, if I am in the wrong place, please let me know. I say this in part to clarify for visitors to the forum who are deciding if they want to participate or not. In my mind, all are welcome. They more points of view the better.

I love the descriptions. Leggos, Oil Rig, Bladerunner, monkeys, terrifying charm of Ghost Busters' Stay Puft Marshmellow Man. Brain, I thought of the Marina Tower too, and shuddered when I did.

Oh, bzorch. No, no, no, this is not one of those skyscraper lovers forums where nothing matters unless it's got height. We do find towers interesting, but I think most will agree, the overall fabric of the city is what's important to us. The discussions arising out of the philosophy are priceless debates of point of view. Yes, you are in the right place....stay put. I love reading what you and the others have to say. I'm learning a lot.

I will be fun to see how the tower is being discussed on the other forums. I did see a post this morning stating that finally Louisville will get the respect and attention it deserves. I, for one, think they might be taking a step backward. I love Louisville just the way it is.

I feel a bit stupid for bring the issue up. I just felt I needed to clarify for visitors. I am hoping this forum will attract a large diverse group. It has been enjoyable to watch and participate. We can learn a lot from each other.

I see hope in that so far everyone is recognizing the absurdity of this building.

Wow. While I certainly think this building looks ridiculous and even a bit exhausting, the worst part about it is the location. I think you MIGHT (and I emphasize the word might) be able to picture in skyline like Los Angeles or San Francisco - or even Seattle....but louisville? I don't even think this building could work in atlanta. The fact that it will be tallest (by far) in all of the city makes it even worse. I mean, I'm all for innovation and new styles, but I really think people will get tired of seeing this building after a year or so. Especially when it stands out so much - because of both height and...well...its bold? comical? over the top design.

If you look at the pictures integrating the building in the skyline, its even worse....its set so far away from the central core that it stands out even more...poor louisville...

Go check out the construction thread on Skyscrapercity to get the real feel for how Louisvillians feel about it. Be warned though, it can get comical on there....LOL!!!

LINK:http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.p...190#post7314190

A quote form their board from DaVillisgr8t:

"Shocking!! How priveleged do you feel to live in Louisville right now? This project is amazing.

61 stories

703 feet tall

The renderings far exceeded my expectations. This project will put Louisville up there as one of the architectural gems of the US. Museum Plaza, Humana Building, etc. AMAZING!!

I wake up to go to work before 6 a.m. I was groggy until I opened the paper."

I told you that it gets comical on there....LOL!!! LMFAO!!!!! Its fine to be proud, but to put yourself up there with the likes of NYC, Chicago, London, and Paris architecture wise, is just retarded.

WOW... I don't know how to feel about those comments. On one hand, if they're happy with it, then that's the key thing. Yet, on the other hand, I wonder how much self-delusion is going on there.

Personally, I think this would be such a missed opportunity. I'd agree that Louisville needs some height in its skyline, but at this early juncture, I'd say I hope the developers take a good, long, critical look at this thing before it's too late. If they still like it after lots of reflection, then more power to 'em.

The structure as proposed seems to have been designed with only one thing in mind, the view of the skyline from 3 miles away. Upon closer inspection, it simply looks like it reviles the street on which it would sit and appears to be a reluctant participant in the fabric of downtown. As such, it seems to stand as far above the ground as it possibly can... and even arrogantly stands apart from the rest of downtown. If it could speak, it might say "I'm so pretty... I'm so international... so daring... that I can't get too close to those other ordinary buildings over there."

Golly, I hope the developers reconsider.

But I do like the water slide.

The structure as proposed seems to have been designed with only one thing in mind, the view of the skyline from 3 miles away. Upon closer inspection, it simply looks like it reviles the street on which it would sit and appears to be a reluctant participant in the fabric of downtown. As such, it seems to stand as far above the ground as it possibly can... and even arrogantly stands apart from the rest of downtown. If it could speak, it might say "I'm so pretty... I'm so international... so daring... that I can't get too close to those other ordinary buildings over there."

Golly, I hope the developers reconsider.

But I do like the water slide.

Ohhhhhhhhh....very well put ATL. Very well put indeed. This designs begs the question, "What will the streetlevel be like?"

This is a strange building, if that's really what it is. It evokes thoughts of the tower in the hit movie, "Towering Inferno". Boastful, proud, but just funny looking in almost every way. The way it seperates intself is just troublesome to me. I agree with ATL that it just screams you're not worthy.

The article says that there will be retail and resraunts which doesnt surprise me considering how large the plaza is. I can see it now...

about 50 round tables with chairs close to the building with a large fountain in the middle for zen.

OMG... can you imagine what that wind will feel like as it sweeps under that platform on the 22nd floor between the three towers? Also, what do you think will go into that open area on the 22nd floor... a gian bouncehouse? Perhaps a biosphere.

Archived