Has anybody seen this?

it's just dave

Well, with all due respect Vertigo, I think you are wrong on everything you typed about Sig. Tower. Namely, there are some things being "fixed" about it that I will not go into. When you see it next time, you WILL do a double take. But anyways.......to each his own I suppose.

I want to make it clear that I think Signature Tower is a gorgeous building. I will be visiting Nashville frequently to keep up to date on the construction. I'm also aware that certain aspects of the building including the spire and official height are being tweaked at the moment. However, that doesn't change the fact that even if the tower was 1000 feet it is still yet another predictable skyscraper. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

However, it's not a building that makes me think. Since the unveilling of Museum Plaza I have realized this even more with many buildings (not just Signature). Chances are, it will look basically the same from I-65 North or South. It's position in relation to other buildings will change of course. Nor is it a building that makes me want to explore every unique angle to discover unexpected secrets such as a glass elevator that floats OVER your head. Definitely one of those 'OK, you can step away from the crack pipe' moments. lol!

That being said, I do think Signature Tower will form a magnificent backdrop to Nashville's skyline and make for a perfect 'postcard' view from virtually every angle. I will even go as far as to say Nashville will have a prettier skyline with the addition of Signature but Museum Plaza (along with the other 'rejects') will make Louisville's skyline more fascinating. One that invites exploration. I see a truly successful skyline as being one the integrates equal amounts of 'supermodel' towers such as Signature with 'renegade' towers such as Museum Plaza.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

have i posted this? i don't think so...

Plaza's design solves problems superbly

Architects found a fit for tough site

Diane Heilenman

Museum Plaza is Louisville's first believe-it-or-not building.

Believe it or not, Louisville, we deserve this. It is not an offshore oil derrick washed up on the Kentucky shore. The three-legged design, with its raft-like, suspended museum rectangle, is based on common sense, and believe it or not, we will like it, even if Museum Plaza takes no prisoners as it looms over Main Street's row of 19th-century office and warehouse buildings.

The Museum Plaza model shows a hard-working building where form is dictated by the job to be done. The motivation was to produce a structure dedicated to creative culture that is intersected by towers for housing, work and education. (Part of the University of Louisville's art department will relocate to Museum Plaza, and a hotel and two condo units are planned.)

It adds up to a structure of engaging integrity.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.d...0356/0/FEATURES

Edit by Moderator - Had to edit your post for it to be within the rules of the board. We can only allow portions of articles to be posted; if the whole article is posted most people won't click on the link, thus denying the news source ad revenue. Its fine to paste a portion, or write a summary with a link, but the Admin. is against full article posting even if accompanyed by a link. Thanks!

Let me just say this.

When you start saying that Louisville does this and Nashville doesn't and never will, that gets people going. And last time I checked, there are a considerable amount of Nashville posters on here that would be offended by such uneducated and unfounded claims.

This discussion is starting to get a bit closer to a "versus" type thread. So maybe a change of words or phrases is in order. Perhaps a bit of discretion should be used in the near future when replying. I will at least do just that.

Lexy, I agree with you. I think the comparisons should end now. Both Nashville and Louisville are great, growing mid sized cities. I think if you moved from one to the other, you wouldn't notice much difference in your daily life. What one city lacks, the other has, and both have every thing you need to get a "big city" feel without all the hassles of living in a super sized city.

So lets just keep talking about MP. It is no doubt that MP is one of the most unique scrapers out there, and I think Louisvillians are embracing that. Can you blame us?

I also think it is time for a Louisville development thread at UP. A psoh new hotel, 21C is set to open. I walked by tonight and its new restuarant/lounge, Proof, has opened. It is super trendy, and should definitely be a hangout for the young professional/lounge set.

Archived