Modest PVD Transit Ideas

TheBostonian

It mentions that once again, there are no plans for weekend service. I suppose it's Bonanza or nothing for a little while longer.

With all the RI investment going into this, the state deserves to have weekend service. The article states that the state is buying 5 rail cars, if they dont want Boston service for what ever reason, they should perhaps at least offer a reduced intra-RI weekend service, or perhaps get Amtrak to stop at the airport station on weekends (thats the case at Baltimore/Washington Intl....MARC only stops there on weekdays).

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just have trouble understanding what reason there would be for not considering it. There must be a specific reason unless they just don't think it would be profitable enough (which I find a little hard to believe). Who would be the person to ask?

Ive heard the logic in the past was that too many people from Mass would take the train in to shop at Providence Place, thus taking away from Mass. Thats what i had read...whether its true or not, im not sure.

Wow, this is an eye-opening article on the state and potential future(s) of transportation in New England.

As an aside, I would love to see Providence become a center for thinking and policy on New England issues. Maybe we could become the home of the "New England NATO" mentioned in the article--"a six-state alliance of governors, transportation directors, business, foundation and environmental leaders and others to look at the top strategic issues and create a compelling vision."

I just have trouble understanding what reason there would be for not considering it. There must be a specific reason unless they just don't think it would be profitable enough (which I find a little hard to believe). Who would be the person to ask?

From what I understand, we are to get weekend service (and a slight boost in weekday service) in exchange for building the layover facility in Pawtucket. My understanding was that we were to have that service by now. :(

I'm hoping we don't have to wait until the South County service starts in '08.

On the same topic, it would only make sense to have weekend service go to T.F. Green as well. I would imagine we'll get a lot of T.F. Green service from Route 128 Station in Boston. It'd actually be interesting to see that station expanded at some point to handle some ticketing and baggage services.

As an aside, I would love to see Providence become a center for thinking and policy on New England issues. Maybe we could become the home of the "New England NATO" mentioned in the article--"a six-state alliance of governors, transportation directors, business, foundation and environmental leaders and others to look at the top strategic issues and create a compelling vision."

It's imparative that the New England states start working together. As population grows in the south and west we'll continue to have dminishing power in Washington. If our legislative delegations would work together more often on regional issues, it would help bolster that diminishing power.

From what I understand, we are to get weekend service (and a slight boost in weekday service) in exchange for building the layover facility in Pawtucket. My understanding was that we were to have that service by now. :(

I'm hoping we don't have to wait until the South County service starts in '08.

On the same topic, it would only make sense to have weekend service go to T.F. Green as well. I would imagine we'll get a lot of T.F. Green service from Route 128 Station in Boston. It'd actually be interesting to see that station expanded at some point to handle some ticketing and baggage services.

It's imparative that the New England states start working together. As population grows in the south and west we'll continue to have dminishing power in Washington. If our legislative delegations would work together more often on regional issues, it would help bolster that diminishing power.

TSA security regulations and baggage handling liability would likely prohibit baggage services, but it is quite conceivable that airline could place check in kiosks in the train stations for passengers with no bags to check.

I would not be suprised at all if Soithwest placed self-service kiosks in the Warwick train station so they can by-pass the current counter and go directly to the gate, perhaps eventually putting them in the Providence Station then Ultimately Rt 128. Boston South Station would be a stretch but it would speak volumes in terms of marketing.

Does this have any chance of happening?

I remember this from quite some time ago! The ProJo did a story on it maybe 7-8 yrs ago???

One line that can be done at any rate is the blue line from N. Main to Riverside - there's a rail line there already and it includes the abandoned tunnel and "Viagara" bridge. The branch into Pawtucket includes a rail line through Darlington. That one should be a no brainer...

The yellow line used to be where Providence's streetcar system was in the early 1900's if I remember the ProJo article correctly. The proposal would have brought that back, and included some abandoned rights-of-way for new rail systems - I think the blue line to Johnston is one of them...

I actually sent an email to the MBTA asking about weekend service possibilities... They haven't sent a reply as yet (a week and counting).

- Garris

PS: For those keeping track of my e-mails at home (and I know you are), Textron also never responded to an e-mail asking if they've ever considered lighting their building downtown...

I actually sent an email to the MBTA asking about weekend service possibilities... They haven't sent a reply as yet (a week and counting).

- Garris

PS: For those keeping track of my e-mails at home (and I know you are), Textron also never responded to an e-mail asking if they've ever considered lighting their building downtown...

I sent an email to The Mayor asking about the Metro transit task force and got an emial back with in 12 hours :thumbsup:

I sent an email to The Mayor asking about the Metro transit task force and got an emial back with in 12 hours :thumbsup:

What did it say?

And since you have such good luck with replies, ask him why the city doesn't issue citations for property owners who don't shovel their snow.

What did it say?

And since you have such good luck with replies, ask him why the city doesn't issue citations for property owners who don't shovel their snow.

from the mayor to me

Jim,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the Metro-wide transit task-force. We are still in the process of appointing the members. Do you have some interest in this issue? I will be sure that you are included in our meeting notice list.

Mayor David Cicilline

And will do...

What did it say?

From the mayors office

Dear Jim:

Thank you for your recent note. The Mayor has asked me to research the issue of responsibility for shoveling sidewalks after a snowstorm and to get back to you as quickly as possible.

There is a City of Providence Ordinance that is very specific about this issue.

Under Sec. 23-13, Removal of snow - required, it says,

"All owners, occupants or persons having care of any building or lot bordering upon any street, highway or public place within the city, shall within the first four (4) hours of daylight after the end of any snowfall, or the fall or deposit of snow on the sidewalk of said building or lot from any cause whatsoever:

(a) remove or cause to be removed all snow from a path not less than three (3) feet in width of the entire border in or on said street, highway, or public place;

(b) remove or cause to be removed all snow from around any fire hydrant on the sidewalk in front of said building or lot;

remove or cause to be removed all snow from the opening of any catch basin in the sidewalk of said building or lot;

(d) remove or cause to be removed all snow from pedestrian-access ramps cut into street curbs bordering said building or lot;

(e) Any person found guilty of violating this section shall be fined not less than twenty-five dollars ($25.00) nor more than three hundred dollars ($300.00) The enforcement of the above shall be done by the city police department.

While the law is very specific about responsibility, we understand that there are circumstances that may reasonably affect the ability of people to clear their sidewalks, such as the amount and heaviness of the snowfall, when the storm clears, whether a property is vacant, whether the occupants are elderly or infirm, whether someone's property is in the sale process or has new occupants, and whether it poses an immediate risk to public safety.

We rely on the public's sense of personal responsibility to clear their sidewalks but it cannot or does not always happen. And when that occurs, we always appreciate neighbors pitching in, for the good of their neighborhood; or notifying our Mayor's Office of Neighborhood Services (421. CITY) to let us know if there is a problem. ONS then attempts to contact the owner/ occupant, and may send a letter out to that effect. If it presents a serious problem, the Police Department will be notified, and they will follow up with enforcement.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Ann S. Gooding

I never was able to get a response from my city councilor, Lombardi. Good work. I shall be compiling a list of addresses and calling the ONS.

I would hope that the city would hold private establishment at a higher tier then residents, particularly older residents.

I would also hope that the court of public opion would count for something in a naiborhood. I hated walking down Rochambeau ave. and having to plow threw the one area on the street that the resident didnt shovel. But I hated it even more when i would walk from building to building at school (jwu) and the private businesses were still snowed in....

A few random/useless notes on the transit issues in the thread:

The Pawtucket-Providence commuter ferry was probably the worst way to try to introduce waterway commuting in Providence. Commuting by ferry should make a trip more convenient or at least as nearly as convenient as sitting in traffic between cities. The Pawtucket-Providence ferry made the commute longer because you have to travel down the length of the Seekonk River (slowly as to not upset the Brown scullers), and around India Point in into the Providence River. It's hard to convince your average RI one-person-per-car commuter such a ferry route is better than the less than 3 miles of commuting by road. Maybe it would've worked as a tourist boat, but as a commuter ferry it was doomed to fail. A better pilot ferry project would've been a boat from Warren, where at least the congestion and bridge traffic on 195 could've made a difference to the perception of the project.

"Cranston planning" is an oxymoron. I know because I've been to the meetings on Tuesday nights. Development decisions are made on a project-by-project basis and are driven by dollars as opposed to careful long-term planning. The city seems to be encouraging residential sprawl on farmlands on the west side of the side of the city, where the increasing number of white-brick-and-lions McMansions is putting pressure on the council to build shopping centers there so the new home owners don't have to drive their SUV's the extra mile. Maybe a better statewide transit plan will encourage the city's growth to centralize around the light rail/express bus lines (in spite of Cranston's efforts or lack thereof).

Cranston amazes me. It could have been a great example of an almost European like place (without the great architecture, etc. etc. etc.), with an urban core and then a quick transition to nice rural open space and farms. But no, instead, we have an eastern urban core (good), some open space (good), and in between, sprawl at its worst in the form of shopping plazas, the brick and lion McMansions that Bascule mentioned and isolated schools. If only they had capped all development west of 295, it'd be so much better.

You should all be aware that the Transportation Advisory Committee of the State Planning Council is meeting at 6:30PM, Thursday March 2, at Department of Environmental Management on Promenade Street. The purpose of the meeting is to approve an amendment to the state's transportation improvement plan. These actions take place in a vacuum because almost no one from the public goes to the meetings and the plans themselves are very detailed. You can see the plan at www.planning.ri.gov. You should also look at the revised 2025 landuse plans for the state. Public hearings on those uses will be held all during March. What prompted me to reply with this information is that the transportation plan includes (for some time in the distant future) a cross-bay ferry service. Unfortunately, it doesn't go from Warren to Providence. It goes from Bristol to someplace on the West Bay, probably Quonset. That makes some sense, but it makes even more sense to go from where the most commuters are!!!!

ProJo Editorial

Putting on one's walking shoes; striding along woods and fields; stepping onto a real, old-fashioned train; sitting down; gazing out the window; reading, resting, dozing . . . Watching the approach of the capital city; alighting from the train; and walking to one's place of work.

Yes, now lets get some rail in our core cities too so everyone can enjoy them.

Archived