Museum Plaza

The Real

Check out this morning's C-J re: the announced plans for Kentucky's largest (by far) skyscraper. If this is a go (and there are some definite heavy-hitters behind this), it is going to create a major buzz in the international development / urban planning / architectural circles. I can't wait.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.d.../602090386/1008

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out this morning's C-J re: the announced plans for Kentucky's largest (by far) skyscraper. If this is a go (and there are some definite heavy-hitters behind this), it is going to create a major buzz in the international development / urban planning / architectural circles. I can't wait.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.d.../602090386/1008

You beat me to it :)

I am thinking of going there next week, probably Thursday, to check out this project and its location. Anybody want to do an impromtu-meet?

This project has generated quite a bit of comment on the Tennessee forum. Architecturally, this project is different from just about anything I've seen. It's the type of project which many people will dislike immensely at first glance, as many Tennessee forumers did. I thought it looked absolutely bizarre at first myself. However, I looked at it some more, and watched the video on the Museum Plaza website, and now have a completely different view of this project. I think it's awesome, and I hope it gets built. I think this project will become a symbol of the Louisville skyline that the people of Louisville will be proud. Congratulations!

It's very bold, I'll give it that. The artistic side of me really wants to praise the design. And after staring at it for a few minutes, I have decided that I really like it. It is a very artistic wonder, that one would not expect in a town like Louisville. In that sense, I would like to see it built. To hear people say "That building is in Louisville?" would make me very proud. I say build it! Louisville needs this as a spark plug for downtown. Hopefully this will lead to a better receiption of the city and it's potential.

Get em' Louisville, you deserve it.

• 2 weeks later...

James Howard Kunstler has given this building the "Eyesore of the month" award.

http://www.kunstler.com/eyesore.html

I agree with what he has to say about how this building approaches the public relam. Look at the base for crying out loud. There is no base! You need to use an elevator to access any part of the building.

Edited by moonshield

I had to edit your article soulbrotha as we have different news posting policies than other sites. Please refer to the rules on posting here: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=260. We cannot post whole articles, a summary with a link is the preferred method. I'm going to be gone for a week starting today, so if you have any questions refer to another mod or administrator.

Thanks

i was downtown today so i went back to the exhibit for some more shots. sorry for the copyrights, i batch frame all my photos and thecopyright is automatically added to each photo.

this was one of the previous deisgns

original.jpg

original.jpg

close up of the base

original.jpg

original.jpg

these were trial designs i suppose.

original.jpg

going east on the freeway...this will be an amazing view.

original.jpg

very close- close up...you can see little people in the windows lol

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

view from the south

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

looks like its angeled perfectly with humana and the aegon tower.

original.jpg

original.jpg

from the east

original.jpg

original.jpg

thats all folks

• 1 month later...

Those are some amazing concepts. I don't think y'all realize the magnitude of this project. It's engineering and structural architecture is completely original. It will put Louisville on the international map. It is incredible and will draw many tourists. Everyone's eyes are on Museum Plaza right now.

434600.jpg

435154.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

looks like things are moving along

---------------------------------

When the radical design for Museum Plaza was unveiled in February, it caused a stir in architectural circles worldwide -- the celebrity architect and urban thinker Rem Koolhaas was proposing an unusual skyscraper for Louisville.

In reality, Koolhaas had no role in the design. A young team of architects running his New York City office, headed by Joshua Prince Ramus, did all the work.

Now, Ramus, 36, and his co-workers, including Erez Ella, 35, are breaking from Koolhaas and his Office for Metropolitan Architecture (OMA) to form their own firm -- Ramus Ella Architects, or REX.

The split, being announced today, is effective immediately.

Though Museum Plaza will lose the star power of the Koolhaas name, the developers said it will not affect the proposed 61-story high-rise.

Groundbreaking is planned for early next year.

The developers recently announced they've hired Minneapolis-based Mortenson Co., which built the Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles, as construction manager.

"It's a nonissue to us," said Steve Poe, who is developing Museum Plaza with attorney Craig Greenberg and husband and wife Steve Wilson and Laura Lee Brown. "Our mission in the beginning was to find the new young, cutting-edge architect.

• 3 months later...