Calvin/Hope

Yankee Fan

Being a Calvin grad, I felt it necessary to take a moment and highlight the great game played last night between Calvin and (there is no) Hope. Whether or not you went to either school, if you are from West Michigan, you are most likely familiar with the rivalry. In fact, ESPN highlighted it as the 3rd best rivalry at any level in College basketball.

With that said, if you did not catch the game on TV last night, here is how it ended. And keep in mind, Hope is #2 in Division 3 nationally, Calvin is #25. 7 seconds left in the game, Calvin is down 58-56. Calvin inbounds the ball to a freshman, who has two guys basically hanging on him. He gets to the top of the key and launches a hail mary type shot- AND IT GOES IN with 1.7 seconds left on the clock. Hope throws the ball away; Calvin wins! Calvin Wins! Calvin Wins! :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

What a great game!

Okay, so I am a little pumped after that. But, like I was telling a friend, we could lose every game during a season, but if we win that game, we have had a good year.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, so I am a little pumped after that. But, like I was telling a friend, we could lose every game during a season, but if we win that game, we have had a good year.

Not to pick and choose, but thats exactly how an MSU football fan is :P

you can go 1-10, but if that one win was against Michigan? it was a good year :lol:

Not to pick and choose, but thats exactly how an MSU football fan is :P

you can go 1-10, but if that one win was against Michigan? it was a good year :lol:

Are you sure you don't mean UMich basketball fan? You'd think they'd won the NCAA tourney from the way they ran onto the floor at Crisler. C'mon guys, act like you've been there before.

Anyway, I gotta say that Hope/Calvin doesn't even make it on my radar. You get 25 miles outside of holland or GR and no one even knows its going on.

Anyway, I gotta say that Hope/Calvin doesn't even make it on my radar. You get 25 miles outside of holland or GR and no one even knows its going on.

ESPN's GREATEST

COLLEGE RIVALRIES

#1 - Duke vs. North Carolina

#2 - Connecticut vs. Tennessee (women)

#3 - Louisville vs. Kentucky

#4 - HOPE vs. CALVIN

#5 - Xavier vs. Cincinnati

#6 - Indiana vs. Purdue

#7 - Philadelphia's "Big 5"

#8 - Illinois vs. Missouri

#9 - Penn vs. Princeton

#10 - Oklahoma vs. Oklahoma State

NOTE: These are not the results of the online fan poll in which Calvin/Hope took 80% of the vote. I think that was due to the fact that Calvin and Hope students went nuts on that poll. :D

ESPN's GREATEST

COLLEGE RIVALRIES

#4 - HOPE vs. CALVIN

#6 - Indiana vs. Purdue

#9 - Penn vs. Princeton

NOTE: These are not the results of the online fan poll in which Calvin/Hope took 80% of the vote. I think that was due to the fact that Calvin and Hope students went nuts on that poll. :D

Hmm, Xavier vs. Cincinnati? Illinois vs. Missouri? Okay, then.

ESPN's GREATEST

COLLEGE RIVALRIES

#4 - HOPE vs. CALVIN

#6 - Indiana vs. Purdue

#9 - Penn vs. Princeton

What I meant to say is: This list by ESPN is them being politically correct. Uconn vs. Tennessee women (whatever), Hope vs. Calvin (I guess we ought to put in a division 3 rivalry so we can make everyone happy). It is a joke to think that Hope Vs. Calvin is one of the best rivalry's in college basketball. Outside of west michigan no one cares! People outside of west michigan only know of Hope College due to that hot chick from the "Amazing Race"!!!

What I meant to say is: This list by ESPN is them being politically correct. Uconn vs. Tennessee women (whatever), Hope vs. Calvin (I guess we ought to put in a division 3 rivalry so we can make everyone happy). It is a joke to think that Hope Vs. Calvin is one of the best rivalry's in college basketball. Outside of west michigan no one cares! People outside of west michigan only know of Hope College due to that hot chick from the "Amazing Race"!!!

I'd dare wager you're wrong on that one. They are two of the best known (yes I know there are more) private religious college institutions in the nation.

I thnk that's what people who go to Calvin/Hope tell each other, but it's not true.

I know a lot of people from both schools, and there are a LOT of them from all over the country. I'm talking well known as far as Christian institutions, not althletics.

I know a lot of people from both schools, and there are a LOT of them from all over the country. I'm talking well known as far as Christian institutions, not althletics.

It's gonna sound like I hate these school, which I don't. I just think we have a skewed perspective. Amhurst, Wellesley, Wesleyan, Vassar, Colgate, Wheaton, Baylor -- Calvin and Hope are not in the same class.

It's gonna sound like I hate these school, which I don't. I just think we have a skewed perspective. Amhurst, Wellesley, Wesleyan, Vassar, Colgate, Wheaton, Baylor -- Calvin and Hope are not in the same class.

I should have said tied to the Reformed church... the others on your list are affiliated with other religious beliefs, academic excellence, upper class, or non-religion based educations.

In response to the comment above, Cincinnati v. Xavier is an enormous basketball rivalry. My dad went to UC and if we get one win a season it had better be against Xavier. The two schools are not only within the same state but are within the same city and are not that far apart from eachother.

Hope v. Calvin is a great regional rivalry but I wouldn't say its on par of other bigger state wide rivalries. One could argue however it could be the second biggest in-state basketball rivalry aside from UM and MSU. Here are a few collegiant rivalries which are, in my opinion, the largest in terms of the state.

Grand Valley v. Saginaw Valley

Western Michigan v. Central Michigan

Michigan v. Michigan State

The biggest rivalry in the entire nation also involves a Michigan school. It is none other than Ohio State v. Michigan. Nothing tops that one in my book.

Oh man, this rivalry bombards me from both sides. Three of my relatives went to Hope and are diehard Flying Dutchmen, while some cousins and friends graduated as Knights. The men's basketball rivalry has been rediculously close as far as all time win-loss records against eachother.

I couldn't believe the game Wednesday... amazing. :P

I think that one thing missing from this thread, and it is partly my fault because I started it, is the fact that rivalry in my mind does not necessarily mean "nationally known" event. I think that, by percentages, if you look at how much the Calvin/Hope game means to the school communities, it becomes very hard to view this as anything but one of the best rivalries around. First, there are very few rivalries where so many people on each side know each other. Second, this game tends to be a continuation of high school rivalries that exist. I cannot tell you how many times kids from the same high school end up on opposite sides of the court for this game. Third, the size of the schools and their alumni base or familiarity with this game outside of West Michigan really doesn't matter. Frankly, I could care less about a game between Division 1 teams, other than the fact that obviously the talent on the floor makes it more exciting on a playing level.

It comes down to the fact that both communities, Hope and Calvin, gear up for this thing and talk trash about it all year long. Millions of people do not have to care about the game in order for it to be a rivalry. I think that we "small school folks" do a fine job on our own. It is big, it is exciting, and, if you haven't actually been to one of the games, I would challenge you to go. You may like what you see.

Archived