Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aheights15

Eastern/Alger Area

Does anyone have any information on the history of the restaurant on the southwest corner of Eastern and Alger? I drive by it every day, it's up for lease and I keep thinking about the potential of a store in that spot. The area around it could be so great - reminds me of little neighborhood pockets in Chicago - it just needs a little help. Real Food Cafe is a great start...

Does anyone have any information on the history of the restaurant on the southwest corner of Eastern and Alger? I drive by it every day, it's up for lease and I keep thinking about the potential of a store in that spot. The area around it could be so great - reminds me of little neighborhood pockets in Chicago - it just needs a little help. Real Food Cafe is a great start...

My information goes back only to about 1993. It was owned by a Korean Family that specialized in Asian Food, pretty standard fare. When they closed a family that specialized in Soul Food and Caribean food opened. They really struggled. It was closed for a while until Antonios moved in. Antonios used to be located on Eastern across from the Post Office just south of Burton. Antonio closed his business down because of the time it took away from his family and rising health insurance costs. I know that currently there is an investor looking at the building with a desire to open up a coffee shop. But that was awhile ago and I have not seen any movement. PArking is a real issue with that site.

Interesting... I'd like to know who's interested in investing, I'm in the area and would love to do some market research, just to know how willing my neighbors would be to support another local business.

And, I'm not sure how big a problem parking really is for that spot, especially if it's a coffee shop - which for many people is a quick stop. The parking lot behind the rest of the block (for Real Food, etc) isn't that far away.

Honestly, I wish it was a wine bar, or a low-key nightspot for the neighborhood. I'd like to think there are plenty of young people and couples living in A Heights that could go for something other than the Chance or the Derby.

I was the investor looking at a coffee shop there. I've lived in the area my entire life. I actually put a $500 deposit on the building. My wife wanted to open the shop and "changed her mind". So, there goes my $500. I did a pretty conservative plan and figured it was lucrative, (to say the least). A wine bar might be "cool" but a coffee shop would be a cash cow. Because I'm enthusiastic about it, and I've done a s4!tload of research, if you know somebody who is interested contact me. I may be able to salvage my building deposit if somebody is interested in working with me. My brother was going to do all of the construction for the remodel (materials too) to the tune of about $10,000. There's HUGE potential there.

Welcome MIBD! We have to be careful discussing real estate "deals" on the boards here, but if you would like to correspond with aheights15, and since you don't have PM abilities yet, you can post your e-mail address here in the thread and I can delete it when I get a chance (probably tomorrow after Noon). :thumbsup: Sounds exciting!

I'd like to think there are plenty of young people and couples living in A Heights that could go for something other than the Chance or the Derby.

Surely you jest! :D

/just kidding

I lived in the area for over 20 years. I think the neighborhood would enthusiastically support a nice business. The Kava House is your best example that parking is simply a non-issue. Talk about a cash cow. Not sure about a wine bar, but a coffee place would probably do well. You could get people from Real Food who don't want to stand in line long enough to eat and decide a nice cup of joe and a scone will do just fine. Or people who are waiting to eat at Real Food can have a nice coffee while they wait. I think neighborhood folks would be happy to walk on over especially on summer evenings. What I really think would do well there is an ice cream store, although generally speaking I don't think those are cash cows. I know it's a lot less glamorous but with the loss of Miller's (I know they still serve ice cream but they carpeted most of the space and it isn't conducive to Little League teams tromping in) and with all the families in the area it seems like more of a sure thing. You could make use of all the outdoor area (all along the strip even) for people to hang out and eat ice cream or drink coffee. If you combine the two ideas, put the emphasis on the coffee, because people will get ice cream or gelato at a coffee house (there's one in Grand Haven) but they are less likely to get coffee from an ice cream place. Make sense? But the most critical part it seems to me after watching all the businesses come and go is that you have to transform the facade. The roof practically meets the siding and you can't see inside. I don't care how good your signage is or your concept is, you have to make it obvious and make people want to come in. I've always wanted to open a bakery, so if you are going in the coffee/pastry direction, I'd be interested in talking about it. You can PM me. Good luck!

I was the investor looking at a coffee shop there. I've lived in the area my entire life. I actually put a $500 deposit on the building. My wife wanted to open the shop and "changed her mind". So, there goes my $500. I did a pretty conservative plan and figured it was lucrative, (to say the least). A wine bar might be "cool" but a coffee shop would be a cash cow. Because I'm enthusiastic about it, and I've done a s4!tload of research, if you know somebody who is interested contact me. I may be able to salvage my building deposit if somebody is interested in working with me. My brother was going to do all of the construction for the remodel (materials too) to the tune of about $10,000. There's HUGE potential there.

If you don't mind posting your email address, I would love to find out what your plans were/are and maybe help out if possible.

When I was a kid and lived in the neighborhood (late 1970s) that was Chinese restaurant, and still was when I moved back in the late '90s. Not sure if it was the same family/owners.

I would love to see a nice local pub go in (somewhere) in the neighborhood too.