Will Miami remain Fla most impressive city forever?

cameronm

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I mean by impressive is skyline, population, transportation wise sorry for not explaining.

Still this requires a little more breaking down.

Is the biggest skyline necessarily the most impressive??? Or can too much become overkill?

Is the largest population always best? Especially when you consider the congestion, crime, rising cost of real estate, and parking scarcity present in many of our largest cities. I personally enjoy being able to drive my car virtually anywhere in my city and being able to afford parking for my car, or in most cases park for free. At a Chicago parking meter, a quarter only buys 15 minutes!!! Here you get an hour, and I'd like to hold on to that. I can respect a population that provides most if not all of the amenities you find in the larger communities, without having to make too many sacrifices with regard to quality of life.

Transportation wise, Miami wins! They've got numerous transit options to choose from and is a model for the rest of our state. Less emphasis on the roads is the best in my opinion. I don't care to see my city turn into a cement jungle when we could have beautiful grassy medians and shoulders instead.

Still this requires a little more breaking down.

Is the biggest skyline necessarily the most impressive??? Or can too much become overkill?

Is the largest population always best? Especially when you consider the congestion, crime, rising cost of real estate, and parking scarcity present in many of our largest cities. I personally enjoy being able to drive my car virtually anywhere in my city and being able to afford parking for my car, or in most cases park for free. At a Chicago parking meter, a quarter only buys 15 minutes!!! Here you get an hour, and I'd like to hold on to that. I can respect a population that provides most if not all of the amenities you find in the larger communities, without having to make too many sacrifices with regard to quality of life.

Transportation wise, Miami wins! They've got numerous transit options to choose from and is a model for the rest of our state. Less emphasis on the roads is the best in my opinion. I don't care to see my city turn into a cement jungle when we could have beautiful grassy medians and shoulders instead.

Please don't get technical population wise.

On the Skyline front I would say Jacksonville has the most potential for ever surpassing Miami as they have no FAA troubles to deal with and are on the right track with quite a few tall proposals but the metro would probably need to add another 2 or 3 million or so before they can justify building enough tall buildings.

I think Miami will always be Florida's international city and the capital and commerce center that connects the two Americas. So because of this designation and role, Miami will always be a step up in the hierarchy of Florida cities. And as always, that's just my humble opinion. Feel free to disagree. :)

.... oh reeeeeally?!

I guess he means that since Orl is an inland city, we have more room to spread out (?) However, a local impact study was recently featured in the Orlando Sentinel (and mentioned in other threads on UP) that the Orl metro area will be completely built out w/7M ppl by 2050 and will look JUST like Los Angeles. There is talk, locally, of thinking about more stringent growth management to prevent this from happening. What takes place from this talk has yet to be seen. I'm still seeing heavily wooded areas in metro Orl being bulldozed for houses.

On the other end of the economic spectrum, Orlando's industries have a lot of room to expand and grow. There is more local political will to entice more "appealing" jobs other than tourism. We have a growing simulations & computer programming industry, in addition to healthcare, pharmaceutical preparations, food processing, and Defense contracting. I guess that could be what the original poster was talking about, as well.

Will Miami be Fla most respected city forever?

I think the man said most "respected".

Miami is, of course, also the most impressive place in Florida, and will continue to be so until the end of time or until an Asian or Al Quaeda nuke irradiates South Florida.

But, there is an inland town which has a knack for having some of the country's and world's finest facilities (except O-Rena and Citrus Bowl), neighborhoods (except Parramore and Union Park), and destinations. If these are an indicator of how great or impressive or respected a "city" is or may be, then look at Orlando's inventory.

goto the Orlando forum. not enough time to list everything.

I guess he means that since Orl is an inland city, we have more room to spread out (?) However, a local impact study was recently featured in the Orlando Sentinel (and mentioned in other threads on UP) that the Orl metro area will be completely built out w/7M ppl by 2050 and will look JUST like Los Angeles. There is talk, locally, of thinking about more stringent growth management to prevent this from happening. What takes place from this talk has yet to be seen. I'm still seeing heavily wooded areas in metro Orl being bulldozed for houses.

On the other end of the economic spectrum, Orlando's industries have a lot of room to expand and grow. There is more local political will to entice more "appealing" jobs other than tourism. We have a growing simulations & computer programming industry, in addition to healthcare, pharmaceutical preparations, food processing, and Defense contracting. I guess that could be what the original poster was talking about, as well.

Refering to the elasticity of cities, both Orlando and Tallahassee are Hyper-Eslastic cities with tremendous room for growth both within our current limits, and in annexable lands. I think the claim that "Orlando has more room to grow than any other city" must exclude many other cities.

Orlando and Miami, to me, aren't all that different. At least you've got Disney in Orlando! :D But then again, they've got beaches in Miami! :yahoo: tough choice I say!

I guess I'm lucky, I live in neither city, but I can always visit for a day or two. Its great having so many vacation destinations in the same state!

Refering to the elasticity of cities, both Orlando and Tallahassee are Hyper-Eslastic cities with tremendous room for growth both within our current limits, and in annexable lands. I think the claim that "Orlando has more room to grow than any other city" must exclude many other cities.

It does. It excludes all "cities" that are actually towns... :P

Miami + Miami Beach will continue to lead the state in term of urban development for at least the next 35 years. In term of urbanity, economy, skyline, Miami is already light year ahead of other cities before constrution boom.

For other cities to catch up, one must have an explosive growth that will rival the growth magnitude in Miami, so far none of the cities has this kind of growth.

Archived