Will Miami remain Fla most impressive city forever?

cameronm

I am from LA, but also have a house in Orlando. Orlando has a long, long, long way to go to become an international city such as Miami. You can put all the highrises you want downtown, but Orlando also needs to obtain a level of sophistication (people, industry etc.) it doesn't have yet. Orlando wants to become a huge city, but it's ideals are still "southern" small town.

A little harsh maybe...?

Orlando has a way to go, but is on the right track. A new high tech corridor is developing by Lake Nona with a medical school. There are new and expanding hospitals all over town. One of the largest universities in the country. One of the busiest airports in the country. A planned performing arts center with dedicated funding in place. Commuter rail just approved. This isn't all pie in the sky, they're projects that are approved or already underway. Yes, Orlando is 10 to 15 years behind Miami, and no I don't see Orlando ever becoming more cosmopolitan than Miami. Miami has the water and stronger Latin America ties, but Orlando is hardly Mayberry.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It wasn't meant to come across as harsh.

You are absolutely right in the fact that Orlando has a lot going for it. Orlando's future is bright, no doubt about that. However, you can have all the highrises, new transportation, and medical facilities you want, but if the general mentality (political and social) hasn't reached big city levels of yet, then you run into problems.

For example, I have friends in NY who are a gay couple and were looking to buy a condo in downtown Orlando. They ultimately decided not to when they found out there was no ordinance prohibiting discrimination against gays in housing matters (which i understand is being changed) and that legally in Florida they could not adopt another child if they see fit. That's just one tiny example.

Orlando maybe pretty progressive, but is the political and social climate in Orlando ready to embrace such changes that come along with being a big city? An International city?

You are absolutely right in the fact that Orlando has a lot going for it. Orlando's future is bright, no doubt about that. However, you can have all the highrises, new transportation, and medical facilities you want, but if the general mentality (political and social) hasn't reached big city levels of yet, then you run into problems.

For example, I have friends in NY who are a gay couple and were looking to buy a condo in downtown Orlando. They ultimately decided not to when they found out there was no ordinance prohibiting discrimination against gays in housing matters (which i understand is being changed) and that legally in Florida they could not adopt another child if they see fit. That's just one tiny example.

Orlando maybe pretty progressive, but is the political and social climate in Orlando ready to embrace such changes that come along with being a big city? An International city?

Some of what you're saying does hit the mark. Some of these changes won't materialize until more of the old gaurd steps aside. I'll stick with my 10 to 15 year prediction. I can agree the big city mentality is behind the economic progress by a few years, but I do see it catching up eventually.

???

Well, if you look at MY previous posts, I was the one making the case for, and not against Miami-- which is what this thread is about. But to make the case for Miami, there's no harm in bringing to light its strong points and weaknesses when compared to other Fla. cities, since the topic is "most impressive Fla. city."

We need to flush some things out now:

You need to take a chill pill, b/c your Feb 9 post was in response to nothing more than people trying to establish the parameters of "impressive", and if that offended you enough to write your "escalate" warning, at that point, then you are way too sensitive to partake in discussions for fear of reading something you might not like. Its called a discussion, and reading facts that don't necessarily cater to your liking is a fact of life.

You need to go to an Emiril's or talk to someone whose been to one. Since that's not good enough of an example, which goes against logic, add Flemings, Houston's, Brio, Antonio's, and McCormick & Schmick to the list, along with a couple of Cheesecake Factories, Wolfgang Puck, and the touristy Rainforest Cafe (2) which Miami also has, along with Blue Martini, Hue, Sam Snead's, U-Club, Citrus Club, and a host of urban cafe's (Dexter's, etc.) popping up in Thornton Park, Winter Park, and College Park.

What Paris Hilton's patronage of a Miami pawnshop has to do with her opening a club in Orlando is beyond me. Its no secret Paris Hilton is a serious Miami Beach party girl.

And here's my final comment on this whole "my thing/your thing" BS; Just b/c Miami is the most urbanized and developed metro in Fla. does not mean that there is nothing of equal value elsewhere in the state.

For example, in Orlando:

We've got Bloomingdales, Saks, Nordstrom, Neiman's, Macy's (before the buyout), still have Lord & Taylor; Ritz Carlton, JW, Wyndham, etc... just like Miami. We've also got Gaylord Palms & CC. We've got ritzy neighborhoods like Alaqua, Isleworth, and Lake Nona, and new modern PUDs like Avalon Park, Celebration, Baldwin Park, ChampionsGate, Reunion Resort, Independence, Stoneybrook West, etc...; We've got suburban office parks and industrial parks and 3 major universities in the metro with 2 law schools; we're a major distribution center for the state for Lowe's and Walgreens, etc... we've got major urban renewal and condo construction in places other than downtown and the attractions area, which is a tougher sell than a condo on any beach; we've got road widening going on continuously, and new major urban infill proposals which are steadily coming to fruition... there's alot going on here aside from Disney.

And like I said earlier, Orlando, for its size, has a lot to offer compared to larger cities. nothing more, nothing less.

Do I think its Florida's most impressive city? No. B/c to me, bigger is better.

peace.

I second that, Great Post!

I fail to see what a city ordinance banning housing discrimination against gays has to do with a city achieving intl. status.

I personally know several gay realtors who handle DT ORL and WP housing. I live in a community where most of my neighbors are gay couples, in WP. THere is no discrimination against gays in housing here, so what does the absence of this ord. have to do with a community's progressive thinking. From what I've seen, I've realized this about gays: most of the ones I know have $$$, are professionals, have class, have culture, and actually give a neighborhood "clout" if they move in there. Nice trendy places only benefit from them being there. I'm not gay, but I use the "gay" litmus test whenever I judge whether a neighborhood is worthwhile or not... if there's gays, there's gotta be something to it. I use the same test for rating establishments that I haven't been to yet.

So, in short, I think your friends from NYC need to know that ORL is very progressive when it comes to these issues. They need to spend some time and meet the right people.

I'll give you that there are backwards thinking people in ORL, but not in the DT housing market... no way. Not in DT ORL, WP, College Park, etc...

ANd also, from what you said, they weren't themselves discriminated against, they just were taken aback b/c of the absence of the ord., if I understood you right.

thanks, sunshine. didn't I make sense, though, with my point? this place is very progressive thinking when it comes to those kinds of issues.

LOL, I agree with a majority of what you are saying. I also live on the border of West Hollywood. It is one of the most beautiful cities in the US and is partky known for its large gay population. Discrimination is still an issue even in West Hollywood, but its citizens are protected by ordinances such as the ones that Orlando is passing.

As I stated before, that was just a minor example that I used to show that Orlando is making the right strides in the right directions, but it isn't there yet.

Orlando is a great city. It's a small city, with a heart of millions. I find that the people who live here are passionate for Orlando on the same scale as New Yorkers, Bostonians, and Parisians. Not all residents of similar sized cities have that fervor. Personally, i find Orlando a little behind in areas like racial relations, gay rights, and similar issues (like the number of Starbucks), but it will be exciting to see Orlando evolve and grow.

thanks, sunshine. didn't I make sense, though, with my point? this place is very progressive thinking when it comes to those kinds of issues.

Tallahassee/Leon County has that fair housing ordinance. I'm very surprised that Orlando/Orange County does not.

I understand and agree w/all you said JRS1, having lived in Altamonte myself before and my BIL/SIL for years lived in College Park before they moved out to boring Clermont. However there's always a few "bad apples" in the bunch and this ordinance is meant to be for that purpose. It's sort of a safety net and just like what all you wrote in your description of how progressive O-town is, this type of ordinance not only makes it a perception, it makes it legal and that is what some are looking for....a little legal muscle should they encounter a "bad apple."

Tallahassee/Leon County has that fair housing ordinance. I'm very surprised that Orlando/Orange County does not.

I understand and agree w/all you said JRS1, having lived in Altamonte myself before and my BIL/SIL for years lived in College Park before they moved out to boring Clermont. However there's always a few "bad apples" in the bunch and this ordinance is meant to be for that purpose. It's sort of a safety net and just like what all you wrote in your description of how progressive O-town is, this type of ordinance not only makes it a perception, it makes it legal and that is what some are looking for....a little legal muscle should they encounter a "bad apple."

check. 10-4.

I will say this. I don't know of any other state that has as many large, prosperous, economically diverse metropolitan areas as Florida. California and Texas are the only other states that may come to mind.

Which is appropriate, given the size of each state. A drive from Orlando to Miami is about the same as a drive from DC to New York. It's further from Miami to Tallahassee than it is from DC to Boston. Or than from SanFran to Portland. Hell, Atlanta is twice as close to Tallahassee than Miami. So, per land area, it's pretty average for either coast of the country.

^ And it won't be long before the Tampa and Orlando metro areas will merge along I-4 the way the metro areas of the northeast have been merging over the years. It'll be just one giant blob of developed civilization. Maybe there'll be some form of mass transit in the mix too!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
LOL, I agree with a majority of what you are saying. I also live on the border of West Hollywood. It is one of the most beautiful cities in the US and is partky known for its large gay population. Discrimination is still an issue even in West Hollywood, but its citizens are protected by ordinances such as the ones that Orlando is passing.

As I stated before, that was just a minor example that I used to show that Orlando is making the right strides in the right directions, but it isn't there yet.

Orlando is a great city. It's a small city, with a heart of millions. I find that the people who live here are passionate for Orlando on the same scale as New Yorkers, Bostonians, and Parisians. Not all residents of similar sized cities have that fervor. Personally, i find Orlando a little behind in areas like racial relations, gay rights, and similar issues (like the number of Starbucks), but it will be exciting to see Orlando evolve and grow.

Quite interesting, a couple of weeks ago (the day of the Pride parade in Orlando), the Orlando Sentinel listed the top 10 "gayest" cities in the U.S. (percentage-wise) San Fran was #1 at 8%.....Orlando was #7 with between 5 & 6 %. New York and LA were not there. The article also stated that the GLBC population seeks out more "progressive" cities. If I remember correctly SF, Seattle, Portland, Twin Cities, Tampa/St. Pete, Hartford were on the list. I also recently read an article that stated Tampa/St. Pete has the largest population of gay republicans in the nation and right down the road in Orlando 98% of the gay population were dems. These "gayest" cities are mainly places where there is not necessarily a "gay ghetto" but gays live comfortably "mixed" with the general population.

• 2 weeks later...

...and as far as Miami having better clubs, restaurants,etc...Orlando can hold its own, we are not as far behind as everyone assumes.

some examples you might like to try on your next visit to the city beautiful...

Lounges/Clubs : Rythem and Flow, 23 , Vintage, Dragon Room, Sky 60, Pulse, etc, etc.

Restaurants : Hue, Kress, Beacon, Luma, Normans, etc, etc

...and as far as Miami having better clubs, restaurants,etc...Orlando can hold its own, we are not as far behind as everyone assumes.

some examples you might like to try on your next visit to the city beautiful...

Lounges/Clubs : Rythem and Flow, 23 , Vintage, Dragon Room, Sky 60, Pulse, etc, etc.

Restaurants : Hue, Kress, Beacon, Luma, Normans, etc, etc

Archived