It is official...

doormanpoet

According to someone I know who is the Vice President of Corporate Sales for a MAJOR hotel chain, stated today the WES will be anchored by Intercontinental Hotels. This hotel chain is the MOST exclusive in the country. This person was backed up by another person I know with 20 years of hotel and bussiness ties in the city.

No date is official yet, but this person said "John the ink is dry on the contract..." WES is a reality!

Another contact told me that Nashville WILL NOT get a Peabody because Peabody only locates in cities where they can get T.I.F. money. Nashville IS NOT going to give Peabody the $40 million they want to build here.

I had mentioned to this to the contact and they were aware of Intercontinentals project in Boston.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I told you :D

We're trying to make the conference/ballroom/ meeting room spaces really exciting. AP is insistant on having the largest ballroom in the area despite the architect's urging not to so we came up with a cool idea to make the ballroom open up into a larger area that will face the exterior wall on West End. If this is approved it will be a really awesome space.

I've been working on the guestroom schemes for the past couple days. Its going to be alot of fun!

According to someone I know who is the Vice President of Corporate Sales for a MAJOR hotel chain, stated today the WES will be anchored by Intercontinental Hotels. This hotel chain is the MOST exclusive in the country. This person was backed up by another person I know with 20 years of hotel and bussiness ties in the city.

No date is official yet, but this person said "John the ink is dry on the contract..." WES is a reality!

Another contact told me that Nashville WILL NOT get a Peabody because Peabody only locates in cities where they can get T.I.F. money. Nashville IS NOT going to give Peabody the $40 million they want to build here.

I had mentioned to this to the contact and they were aware of Intercontinentals project in Boston.

Hey DP

This is great news but do I read your post to say that the IC is THE most exclusive in the country? I realize this is your industry but I always thought Ritz-Carlton and Four Seasons were the top tier chains. Not to take anything away from IC what I think will be great!!!!

Hey DP

This is greta news but do I read your post to say that teh IC is THE most exclusive in the country? I realize this is your industry but I always thought Ritz-Carlton and Four Seasons were the top tier chains. Not to take anything away from IC what I think will be great!!!!

Yeah I wouldn't say that it is the most exclusive.. but it will be a nice hotel. And it will be contemporary which will be a very exclusive in Nashville since the other 4-5 star hotels are more traditional in style.

This is great news. It seems as if the hotel condo tower is a reality now. But where does the office tower stand? Is it just as much a reality as the hotel/condo tower? Either way I'm glad to see great news coming from the Palmer camp. This just makes this exciting time that much more exciting. Its wild to think about how many decent size buildings will be under consturction at the same time here in the next few years.

I'm pretty sure the office tower is still a go. We're treating it as if it is when we plan the lobby space of the hotel because that tower connects to the hotel/condo tower at the lobby level.

I think Cooper Carry is working on that tower as well. I'll ask about it and see what I can dig up.

Awesome, IC is a great stay. Hats off to Nashville! And really, Peabody isn't some exclusive thing outside of Memphis. I would rather see Nashville land an Omni for the convention center hotel - they've been doing great things lately too. But really, I have a few predictions for hotels (been in the biz a while myself) I see Hyatt making a come back to Nashville as well as Westin.

I think we should see a Westin soon. Most cities our size and smaller have one. And now that we have an IC, what do you think would be the chances of us getting another luxury hotel, like a Four Seasons or Ritz-Carlton? I think just having the name here would help get people's attention.

WES was talking to both IC and Weston. They went with IC so I'm not sure if Westin is coming anytime soon but it would be great if they do.

Send in the cranes. Wow. The WES, The Signature, the Icon, Terrazzo, Encore, Sounds stadium, Rolling Mill Hills, Adelicia, The West End, Suntrust, and maybe the Fed. Courthouse, plus all the related stuff in Sobro, and 5th and Main all going up at the same time. And, there will be more I would bet the lottery jackpot on it. What an exciting time for Nashville. This is great news.

Thanks Doorman, you made my day and I want say I told you so :lol: , just kidding you know. Maybe the Renaissance will get all the i's dotted and t's crossed to get that tower underway too.

wow, what a comeback. I thought this thing was dead and gone--I was just waiting on them to take the sign down.

I'm wondering what is going to happen to the area from WES to downtown over the next 10 or 20 years. Will the car lots hold onto their land or sale it off to developers? This area could have residential and retail lining West End all the way into downtown. What huge potential, I just wonder if the car lots are there to stay.

I agree 100%. The car lots need to go. I envision residential, retail, and office densely lining this section of Broadway. The city probably makes tons of money from the dealership taxes, but downtown and midtown will never truly 'connect' until this entire area is redeveloped on a grand (yet human) scale. Who cares about cars anyway? (joking)

I'm wondering what is going to happen to the area from WES to downtown over the next 10 or 20 years. Will the car lots hold onto their land or sale it off to developers? This area could have residential and retail lining West End all the way into downtown. What huge potential, I just wonder if the car lots are there to stay.

You'll probably disagree with me on this, southsidej, but I find something endearing about the car lots on West End. The big neon signs, bright lights, and downtown location of Jim Reed Chevrolet and Beaman Automotive make me think of days foregone. Yes, I think car dealerships/lots are ugly, but these two have lasted a long time. Maybe it's something about American automobile manufacturing and sales being part of the old guard of domestic industry, but I like these lots. I think it's because you'd be hard-pressed to find dealerships in the suburbs with as much character as these two. I don't think there's much character to the Carmax at 100 Oaks, and absolutely none at the dealerships on Highway 96 in Franklin. To the best of my knowledge, Reed and Beaman are thriving downtown locally-owned businesses (but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to learn they're owned by someone else far away). Anyway, I think there's going to be enough mixed use development on West End for a while that won't make the two dealerships sell any time soon.

You'll probably disagree with me on this, southsidej, but I find something endearing about the car lots on West End. The big neon signs, bright lights, and downtown location of Jim Reed Chevrolet and Beaman Automotive make me think of days foregone. Yes, I think car dealerships/lots are ugly, but these two have lasted a long time. Maybe it's something about American automobile manufacturing and sales being part of the old guard of domestic industry, but I like these lots. I think it's because you'd be hard-pressed to find dealerships in the suburbs with as much character as these two. I don't think there's much character to the Carmax at 100 Oaks, and absolutely none at the dealerships on Highway 96 in Franklin. To the best of my knowledge, Reed and Beaman are thriving downtown locally-owned businesses (but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to learn they're owned by someone else far away). Anyway, I think there's going to be enough mixed use development on West End for a while that won't make the two dealerships sell any time soon.

I'm a little conflicted about the car dealerships -- on the one hand, developing all that land would be great. On the other hand, though, we were driving down Church St last night and Jim Reed's cars in the windows were pretty cool... where else can you go "window shopping" for a new car.. and the old school Pontiac/Indian sign at Beaman is pretty swell, too..

I, too, like the dealerships (maybe Hippodrome Nissan could move, though). Too much of my childhood was spent looking at cars along Broadway as a kid. The Reeds buildings are cool, too. Stop and take a close look sometime. Beaman's was too, until they "fixed it" and covered up the historic facade. The sign is priceless.

I've seen 5 decades of cars grace Broadway in those blocks, so there's really nothing about it that bothers me.

It's not like replaceing a dealership is new. On Broadway, where the Embassy Suites is now, stood for many, many years, the Madison Smith, Naturally Mercedes Dealership.

Captiol Chevrolet was where the convention center sits.

And where Beaman's used car lot is at the ramp to 40 at Broad, there was the coolest old buidling with the rounded glass front facing Broadway. It was E. Gray Smith Rolls-Royce/Bentley.

I love urban car dealerships but they should be enclosed to the street to blend with the location. I remember these when I was in London and the effect was indeed like window shopping. Here are some high end dealers on Park Lane, not saying they should look like this just showing the effect...

Park Lane Dealer

ParkLaneMayfairShowroom1.jpg

Lower Level BMW lot inventory

BMWparklaneinv.jpg

Lexus dealership on Park Lane

lexusparklane.jpg

Yes, those are cool. Maybe they could get rid of just the storage lots and shuttle people to the main storage, but keep the cars in the windows as they are now. I can dig that.

I was in Venice in 1978 at a storefront Ferrari dealership getting glazed over the cars and thinking it so cool. 3 hours later the bomb that had been planted under the Ferrari I was looking at exploded .... shaking my elevator 3 blocks away almost loose. Of course, I had to join the panicked Italian crowd at the blown-up dealership.

Sniff. My Ferrari was a mess.

I know that had nothing to do with anything, really, but ... you know me. I've got a story for almost everything. Ah, advantages of living so long.

I was in Venice in 1978 at a storefront Ferrari dealership getting glazed over the cars and thinking it so cool. 3 hours later the bomb that had been planted under the Ferrari I was looking at exploded .... shaking my elevator 3 blocks away almost loose. Of course, I had to join the panicked Italian crowd at the blown-up dealership.

Sniff. My Ferrari was a mess.

Wow, those BMW people play hardball. :blink:

^^^ LOL... good one. Although the bomb thing is kinda scary :(

Anybody else find it kinda ironic that (assuming the lots stay put)... one day Nashville could have residential/retail/offices/etc... all in an urban environment, where part of the idea is to not have to own a car... but yet, right in the middle of everything is a bunch of car dealerships?

Archived