It is official...

doormanpoet

Send in the cranes. Wow. The WES, The Signature, the Icon, Terrazzo, Encore, Sounds stadium, Rolling Mill Hills, Adelicia, The West End, Suntrust, and maybe the Fed. Courthouse, plus all the related stuff in Sobro, and 5th and Main all going up at the same time. And, there will be more I would bet the lottery jackpot on it. What an exciting time for Nashville. This is great news.

Thanks Doorman, you made my day and I want say I told you so :lol: , just kidding you know. Maybe the Renaissance will get all the i's dotted and t's crossed to get that tower underway too.

WOW! What a list! Let's see...WES - 22 stories for Tower 1 + and probable 2nd Tower, Signature - 55 Stories, Icon - 21 Stories, Terrazzo - 14 Stories, Encore - 20 Stories, and The Adelicia - 18 Stories, and a lot of Sounds realted projects etc. all possibly starting construction between now and the end of this year. Add that to the Viridian, Suntrust, the West End, etc which all already under construction, and Nashville will look like a sea of cranes everywhere!!!! Wow! I have to pinch myself! :yahoo:

DesignerBee, thanks for all your updates on your project. When you get details on the exact height (number of floors, feet high) and if its OK please let us know.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anybody else find it kinda ironic that (assuming the lots stay put)... one day Nashville could have residential/retail/offices/etc... all in an urban environment, where part of the idea is to not have to own a car... but yet, right in the middle of everything is a bunch of car dealerships?

Yeah, but look at nashville_bound's post about the dealership on Park Lane in London. The last thing I would want to own in London is a car, and I think most people feel that that way, too. Everything else around the dealership in that area is shopping and restaurants, as I recall. I'm not sure if you could convince Beaman and Reed to enclose their dealerships in the same way, though. If anything, I see Beaman and Reed selling their "window space" along Church St. to developers who will make cool retail and residential.

With the mixed-use happenings along West End and the developments downtown/in the Gulch, the location of Beaman and Reed lots directly on West End Ave. certainly doesn't do anything for urban continuity in terms of retail/living space. But they dealerships are real. They've been here for a long time. If they continue to look cool and have some soul (keep the Pontiac neon glowing!), then I think the break in continuity is acceptable because it's a nod to history and longstanding enterprise. And hey, people are going to buy cars in Nashville, which is good for the local economy. If the dealerships ditch the history in favor of something without historical significane or urban pizzaz, then I'd be hoping for mixed-used infill to take over that space. But as long as Beaman and Reed don't take a page out of the Cain and Walker playbook, I like where they are and what they're doing.

I can see the points for the car dealerships--I think the worst part about is the massive lots--it just seems like wasted opportunity. I can't help imagine what an amazing ride into downtown that would be as a pedestrian friendly residential/retail packed boulevard--with LRT included of course.

I can see the dealerships being a pleasant part of that future as well, though.

I see the value of the land that those dealerships sit on getting so great that they'll all be receiving "offers they can't refuse" to sell their land to developers. It's possible they could relocate within one of those developments like in the London example, but I would consider it more likely that they move further out to cheaper land, pocket millions of dollars, and continue laughing all the way to the bank. The projects taking their place would almost certainly be huge. Just my opinion.

I think it would be difficult to enclose the Broadway dealerships like those in London. We're talking GM's and Toyotas here. The name of the game is volume. They have tons of cars. I know West End/Broadway is the grand thoroughfare connecting West End and Downtown, but it's not the only one. There's plenty more streets that can be built on that link these areas. Eventually, the dealerships will be surrounded by our southern Mega-City.

I love riding down Broadway and looking in the windows at the new cars. All 3 of the lots have a long storied history. Dave I would hate to see Hippodrome go because it has just as much or more history than Beman and Jim Reed. I used to work for Hippodrome in my younger days and I know the owner is getting way on up there in age and I do believe once he's gone theres a good chance the land could be sold off to the highest bidder. I know Mr McAdams once took pride in the dealership and had a great passion for it but his future heir doesnt seem to have that same passion. I could be wrong but dont be surprised if the property is sold in the next 10 years.

This is HUGE news! WOW! As one of the naysayers (eating crow), I am pleasently surprised, and quite honestly proud to have this here. I look forward to the "offical" release in the newspapers and the rest of the press.. Thanks go out to Doormanpoet and Designer Bee for their consistent updates on this project. You guys RAWK!!!

Hey Onyte9,

I swear I read in a history book that Hippodrome building contained a skating rink long before the car dealership occupied the space. Do you know if that is correct?

I love riding down Broadway and looking in the windows at the new cars. All 3 of the lots have a long storied history. Dave I would hate to see Hippodrome go because it has just as much or more history than Beman and Jim Reed. I used to work for Hippodrome in my younger days and I know the owner is getting way on up there in age and I do believe once he's gone theres a good chance the land could be sold off to the highest bidder. I know Mr McAdams once took pride in the dealership and had a great passion for it but his future heir doesnt seem to have that same passion. I could be wrong but dont be surprised if the property is sold in the next 10 years.

Hey Onyte9,

I swear I read in a history book that Hippodrome building contained a skating rink long before the car dealership occupied the space. Do you know if that is correct?

Yep. I've been there.

It was called the Hippodrome, but unrelated to the car dealers. It was where the Holiday Inn-Vanderbilt now stands. It had a beautiful, art deco facade and was torn down in the 70's to make way for the hotel.

Yep. I've been there.

It was called the Hippodrome, but unrelated to the car dealers. It was where the Holiday Inn-Vanderbilt now stands. It had a beautiful, art deco facade and was torn down in the 70's to make way for the hotel.

I remember that building, and there was a roller skating rink inside.

Archived