New Construction and Renovations in the Heartside District

MJLO

I've been watching all this work go on Division for the summer. Doesn't this work have something do with that whole student, artist stuff with Calvin College? Does anyone know when they will be done with the work on Division in front of those buildings, and what's going to go on in them when they are all done? I was having trouble finding a thread on it all.

That's funny that you ask. I just drove by there this morning and it looks like they are getting VERY close to being finished with the street. The new curbs are pretty cool! There was just an article about it yesterday too:

http://www.mlive.com/search/index.ssf?/bas...ress?NEG&coll=6

Street opens Dec. 5th! With additional work to finish up after that.

There was an interview in Commercial Quarterly with Dennis Sturtevant, and he said most of the artist spaces have now been leased.

That was mentioned on this forum a while ago.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=5987

Is it a go?? I'm still trying to figure out where it is. North of Tini-Bikinis?

Forgive me for asking, but what exactly is going on in that stretch of road? Are they doing streetscape improvements? Infrastructure improvements? Will it get a boulevard treatment? I am clueless on this one, other than "Division is closed" :blush:

The works stems from this Design Charette done by the Heartside Mainstreet. Here is a run-down from the city about what work is being performed:

http://www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us/index.pl?...ocument_id=2736

Apparently, they ran into a few "surprises" which caused the delays. I figured out that Verne Barry Place will go between Tini-Bikinis (what a name :P ) and this building:

http://www.dwellingplacegr.org/images/housing/dwelling.jpg

MJLO goes on stage at 8:00 tonight :shades:

The works stems from this Design Charette done by the Heartside Mainstreet. Here is a run-down from the city about what work is being performed:

http://www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us/index.pl?...ocument_id=2736

Apparently, they ran into a few "surprises" which caused the delays. I figured out that Verne Barry Place will go between Tini-Bikinis (what a name :P ) and this building:

http://www.dwellingplacegr.org/images/housing/dwelling.jpg

MJLO goes on stage at 8:00 tonight :shades:

Ah-ha! Thanks chief! :thumbsup:

Friday night I went to five art gallery showings along Division, Wealthy/Straight, and at the UICA Art Battle. A lot of fun and a lot of red wine. It was my first time in Studio 71 South, which does not only sell art, but has a cool retail section too. I was impressed with all the art galleries and with the new artist lofts. Division is on its way to being the "Avenue for the Arts" in GR.

There is an street event on December 15th. "Urban Lights of December 2005, an urban celebration of Food, Art, Music, Fashion, and things undiscovered."

Studio 71 South Avenue for the Arts

Artists in many cases are pioneers in revitalizing urban blighted areas. For example, Wicker Park and Bucktown in Chicago.

To Art!

BTW, it would be cool to organize a Downtown catacomb tour.

Sounds intriguing. Where do we have catacombs in Grand Rapids?

I've heard there are tunnels under a lot of the buildings along the West side of Division (the area around the old Arcade where Scavenger Hunt is), but I didn't know they were still accessible.

BTW: thanks for the links GridGirl. I didn't realize the arts community on Division had gotten so established already.

I have a friend that used to work for the Press and did a story on the tunnels many years ago. He's been down there and explored. He gained access through the Pantlind's basement. I remember a fire in the tunnels a few years back, electrical maybe? It would be an excellent adventure for those of use with a facination for tunnels, old basements and old buildings.

the new vern barry building will connect the old dwelling place buildings ot he new building via a 4 story curved glass atrium. the new building (between the tiny titty) will have 2 levels of underground parking and alot of glass also. i still cant see it tho i have the rendering sitting here on my desk. should be intresting....

the new vern barry building will connect the old dwelling place buildings ot he new building via a 4 story curved glass atrium. the new building (between the tiny titty) will have 2 levels of underground parking and alot of glass also. i still cant see it tho i have the rendering sitting here on my desk. should be intresting....

Any chance you can scan it and post it here? It sounds pretty wild!

When I worked Downtown, many of the buildings along Fulton had catacombs that were partially closed. In many cases, you can still walk underground to the middle of the street.

Hey Grid Girl,

I think you're getting some terms mixed up. A catacomb is a place to stash a dead body. An Areaway is an extension of a building under a sidewalk or street.

Although, I'm sure someone has stashed a dead body in an areaway before. :P

Nitro