New Construction and Renovations in the Heartside District

MJLO

Mek & Ren while being two of the biggest taggers in the city to this day, I havn't seen anything new by either of them in quite some time (for the record when I actually knew them 3 - 4 years ago they were dating and i'm pretty sure they're married now, which i'm pretty sure put an end to it). They were big back in my day, I knew both of them to a rather large extent but as said above. I havn't spoken or heard from or of either of them in close to a year now. Most of the taggers that were large back then such as Rank, Fame, Faith, Aria, all of them were caught close to the same time as I. Fame being fined upwards of 90,000.

Glad I never got into it big, very glad.

I'd love to know who's doing it and have them prosecuted. I just got hit last weekend and I'm sure it's the same person(s) getting buildings along Wealthy St. With references to Bemis and East Ave, I'm just worried it's a gang tagging.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93061053@N00/

You got any more of that free urine?

That stinks. You could invest in one of those fake cameras for about $20 or so...though I doubt many people really care. My alley got hit pretty bad recently, but the brilliant tagger wrote his real name so I was able to track him down and have a few words with him. He hasn't done it since.

I'd love to know who's doing it and have them prosecuted. I just got hit last weekend and I'm sure it's the same person(s) getting buildings along Wealthy St. With references to Bemis and East Ave, I'm just worried it's a gang tagging.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93061053@N00/

That looks like the work of some bored high school kids.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy smokes! Is that for real? (Looks like a rendering.)

The portajohns might be a bit of a tip-off. :)

It would have been nice if they had extended the black grills to the big blank wall section. Anything to dress it up would have been nice. Otherwise, it's a nice looking structure. The whole downtown looks amazing around sunset time, with the lights coming on but still light enough to see everything.

It would have been nice if they had extended the black grills to the big blank wall section. Anything to dress it up would have been nice. Otherwise, it's a nice looking structure. The whole downtown looks amazing around sunset time, with the lights coming on but still light enough to see everything.

If they extended them to the blank side then it might be harder to paint a mural there. The sides facing the street do look great, especially for a parking ramp.

• 2 weeks later...

We got a note yesterday announcing this parking ramp is complete! This ramp has those "pay on foot" machines in the stairwells, and you can also pay by credit card at the exit terminals. They're doing demonstrations on the "pay on foot" machines today (Nov 14) at 11 am and 2 pm, and again tomorrow at 10 am, 1 pm, and 4 pm. We're excited, they opened up our parking meters out front again! Yay!!

If they extended them to the blank side then it might be harder to paint a mural there. The sides facing the street do look great, especially for a parking ramp.

The original design did have the grills extending through the blank part of the wall (embedded in the solid concrete). They were VE'd out.. hence the blank wall as we know it today. I do hope the city gets someone to paint a nice big mural on that area... It could be a good advertising area for one of the big Grand Rapids companies (Meijer??)

Glad to here it is done and open! I'll have to check it out next time I'm down in the Heartside area

Edited by jbr12

• 3 weeks later...

Quick question: Is there a special event going on around Commerce Ave that has this ramp all filled up, or has it been totally reserved now? I just noticed this today ("Reserved parking" means the unreserved spaces are full):

2073428661_139eda4f01_b.jpg

Also on Commerce, another McGraw Construction project, and it appears to be in partnership with SSP. I saw a few guys there a week or so ago doing "lead removal" (?).

2073429751_dc7dfe1d41_b.jpg

Quick question: Is there a special event going on around Commerce Ave that has this ramp all filled up, or has it been totally reserved now? I just noticed this today ("Reserved parking" means the unreserved spaces are full):

2073428661_139eda4f01_b.jpg

GRDad,

I think that is just for the ground floor section of the ramp. The main entrance is on the side street (Cherry St) which will give access to all floors. If you look at the City ramp on Louis and Ionia the entrance off of Louis is always reserved (I am guessing for Leo's resturant) and the main entrance is off of Ionia.

GRDad,

I think that is just for the ground floor section of the ramp. The main entrance is on the side street (Cherry St) which will give access to all floors. If you look at the City ramp on Louis and Ionia the entrance off of Louis is always reserved (I am guessing for Leo's resturant) and the main entrance is off of Ionia.

Thanks. I should have taken a shot of the Cherry side, because I could have sworn I saw a small blue sign on that side too (I didn't know there were separate entrances for reserved and non-reserved like the MC ramp). Although the other sign might have said something other than "Reserved". :dontknow:

Anyone in that area want to check it out?

Anyone in that area want to check it out?

I drove by on my way home and there are three blue signs on Cherry. One or two say "parking" and the other says "Max daily $5.50 Event $6.00" There is another blue sign on Commerce which says "Parking Reserved" as shown in your earlier post. Too bad this "reserved" area on the ground floor couldn't have been a retail portion. It would have been next to Cooley and across the street from Douglas J.

WMU regularly holds events which usually fill up the spaces in Area 5, their guests are probably using the ramp. Area 5 had their "WMU Event Parking" sign up today when I got downtown.

I know we would have loved a small convenience store or something, as it stands my students have to walk either to the gas station on Market or the one on Wealthy and Division if they want a snack and didn't pack one.

We are loving that the ramp is open, I hard;y ever have anyone ask where they're supposed to park anymore!

Dara Sundberg

Guest Services Coach

Douglas J Aveda Institute

A closer destination: The RAPID Central Station has a small convenience store and deli inside the station one can get snacks at. The deli closes a little after 6, not sure when the convenience store closes.

Also the Morton Party Store on Monroe Center may carry snacks and such. I think the one time I was in there it looked more like a very small grocery store. I just remember going there when my sister wanted a cigarette and was surprised by what they had inside.

Edited by tSlater

A closer destination: The RAPID Central Station has a small convenience store and deli inside the station one can get snacks at. The deli closes a little after 6, not sure when the convenience store closes.

Also the Morton Party Store on Monroe Center may carry snacks and such. I think the one time I was in there it looked more like a very small grocery store. I just remember going there when my sister wanted a cigarette and was surprised by what they had inside.

You're not really suggesting that people go to Morton Party Store, are you? :o

I think someone is going to reopen the coffee shop on the ground floor of 15 Ionia. They had snacks there.