New Construction and Renovations in the Heartside District

MJLO

Then the real discussion would be "what kind of incentive would be required to make them voluntarily relocate?" because obviously you can't force them to leave.

I would think an overly generous offer for thier properties might work although it doesn't make sense for a developer trying to make money. I think the zoning laws would need some sort of revision as well so that they can't just move anywhere but to specific places that would distribute their services throughout the city.

Then the real discussion would be "what kind of incentive would be required to make them voluntarily relocate?" because obviously you can't force them to leave.

I would think an overly generous offer for thier properties might work although it doesn't make sense for a developer trying to make money. I think the zoning laws would need some sort of revision as well so that they can't just move anywhere but to specific places that would distribute their services throughout the city.

how about a bus ticket to miami and a sack lunch .. lol j/k... i agree with the dispersion idea

I'm not really talking about incentives to leave, I'm saying that the homeless shelters should be distributed throughout the city and not in one small cluster. I'm sure there are people all over town that need help, but since the services are all clustered, the masses congregate in one small area.

Homelessness isn't going to go away, and I'm not saying we should turn our backs on people, but I think everyone in the city is afraid to say what everyone knows. If the shelters continue to be piled on top of each other, Division will remain skid row. And that is a big problem from an economic growth standpoint.

Joe

• 7 months later...

Figured this would be the best topic to post on...

There are rumors coming from credible sources of plans for a new Buffalo Wild Wings on Ionia Ave downtown. A single digit address was mentioned (he/she couldn't remember exact number) as was a second story balcony. Multi-floor BW3's are not uncommon in many major cities (like McD's).

My only guess is the former Taphouse at 8 Ionia, which was shuttered a year or two ago. That's gotta be the most prime spot on Ionia (also fronts Fulton I believe) and is already set up as a two-story bar space, although I'd expect BW3 to do a full renovation inside.

It's quite significant that major restaurant/bar chains are not only seriously considering our new "strip", but are actually considering larger-than-normal spaces like one might see in downtown CHI or NYC.

Let's hear it for chains!! :alc:

Related?

http://www.benzinga.com/pressreleases/11/06/g1134760/diversified-restaurant-holdings-to-open-sixth-bagger-daves-burger-taver

Diversified Restaurant Holdings to Open Sixth Bagger Dave's Burger Tavern® in Grand Rapids, Michigan

Executes agreement to purchase former Big Boy location

New store will be third to open in 2011

SOUTHFIELD, Mich., June 1, 2011 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Diversified Restaurant Holdings, Inc. (OTCBB:DFRH) ("DRH" or the "Company"), the owner/operator and franchisor of the unique, full-service, ultra-casual restaurant and bar Bagger Dave's Legendary Burger Tavern ("Bagger Dave's") and a leading franchisee for Buffalo Wild Wings ("BWW")

The Bagger Dave's seems kinda cool, anyone been there? To me its a great trade -- local Michigan chain in, out-of state chain out (Perkins).

There's one near my Berkley office that I frequent while I'm down there. Great burgers and fries.

Figured this would be the best topic to post on...

There are rumors coming from credible sources of plans for a new Buffalo Wild Wings on Ionia Ave downtown. A single digit address was mentioned (he/she couldn't remember exact number) as was a second story balcony. Multi-floor BW3's are not uncommon in many major cities (like McD's).

My only guess is the former Taphouse at 8 Ionia, which was shuttered a year or two ago. That's gotta be the most prime spot on Ionia (also fronts Fulton I believe) and is already set up as a two-story bar space, although I'd expect BW3 to do a full renovation inside.

It's quite significant that major restaurant/bar chains are not only seriously considering our new "strip", but are actually considering larger-than-normal spaces like one might see in downtown CHI or NYC.

Let's hear it for chains!! :alc:

Thanks for confirming, Knape. Bout time I call something on here.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know what the hours are at Pikositos these days but shortly after 8 pm on a beautiful Wednesday night with 1 1/2 hours of daylight remaining in the middle of the summer they were CLOSED.

Draw your own conclusions but a couple of my biking friends commented the Cherry/Division pocket park has been a disaster when it comes to fostering new businesses. It visually stands out and conveys an image of loitering regardless of whether or not it's true. To me the early closure of Pikositos is symptomatic of huge obstacles which remain on Division. Why they still remain in business at that location remains a mystery.

• Like 1

Don't know what the hours are at Pikositos these days but shortly after 8 pm on a beautiful Wednesday night with 1 1/2 hours of daylight remaining in the middle of the summer they were CLOSED.

Draw your own conclusions but a couple of my biking friends commented the Cherry/Division pocket park has been a disaster when it comes to fostering new businesses. It visually stands out and conveys an image of loitering regardless of whether or not it's true. To me the early closure of Pikositos is symptomatic of huge obstacles which remain on Division. Why they still remain in business at that location remains a mystery.

They will be gone soon like all of the others. You simply cant do business in an area where your customers wont go, and the shadow of organizations that frankly don't care, are causing the perfect storm against you. I predict that Vertigo will be out by the end of the year, and that will be the official end of retail on S. Division.

The only hope now is that new development across the street, and someone buying that park off the city and making it into a private deck area for the building adjacent to it.

The hat-trick is if someone buys the Degege building.

The pocket park is just a symptom of a bigger issue in that area. I like the food at Pikositos and have been there a few times, but it's never on the top of my list even though I can walk there. It's a little nerve wracking when you're walking somewhere to eat and a guy is yelling at you as you walk by "HEY, YOU!!" "HEY, BRO!!!!" "YO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" And that's not even near the park. It's no wonder retail can't survive there, because customers are all being chased out.

There are no two ways about it, you can't have a big concentration of homeless AND a thriving retail strip. It doesn't work anywhere, not in Seattle, not in Portland, not in Grand Rapids.

should build homeless shelters on some empty land out in the boonies, maybe the landfill area? Away from the general populace or the general populace will move away from them... thats the reality of it.. when I lived on Ionia Ave., homeless people would knock on our door once a week asking for money.. At first, we were sad/uncomfortable but after 2 years it became door slams in the face and a, "F#$! OFF!!!!!!!!!" I would NEVER open a retail gig on Division as long as the homeless pop is there, never....

As "friends" with Pikositos on FB, they sometimes mention closures due to various reasons. Very rarely, in fact.

I can think of a few eateries that don't serve to us night owls. Gotta get on

to make sure there's a seat at the table.

As "friends" with Pikositos on FB, they sometimes mention closures due to various reasons. Very rarely, in fact.

I can think of a few eateries that don't serve to us night owls. Gotta get on

to make sure there's a seat at the table.

Every time I've been there for lunch, I'm usually one of only two tables with people. Don't get me wrong, I love their food and the ability to build my own tacos.