New Construction and Renovations in the Heartside District

MJLO

I heard a rumor today that Design Plus Architects may be selling their building (the old train station on the west side of Ionia). The rumor is that a retail use is buying the building.

Has anyone heard any more about this? http://www.design-plus.com/DesignPlus.html

I've heard the same rumor as well. It makes sense, that whole area is rapidly changing.

I heard a rumor today that Design Plus Architects may be selling their building (the old train station on the west side of Ionia). The rumor is that a retail use is buying the building.

Has anyone heard any more about this? http://www.design-plus.com/DesignPlus.html

That's pretty cool, any rumors on where they would be looking to move? I only say its cool because hopefully they would find a new building to rejuvinate.

That's pretty cool, any rumors on where they would be looking to move? I only say its cool because hopefully they would find a new building to rejuvinate.

I heard that Design Plus is buying and moving into the JT French building (originally the art museum) on Fulton. Has anyone else heard anything?

130514854_afb5cd36be_o.jpg

I heard that Design Plus is buying and moving into the JT French building (originally the art museum) on Fulton. Has anyone else heard anything?

I heard they were selling the old depot on Ionia to an unnamed retailer, but didn't hear where they were going. I wonder what the purpose is?

anyone know how old that sign is?

I get an E.H. Rowley hit dated 1939:

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:ln818w...us&ct=clnk&cd=3

Hmm...isn't that building smaller than their current offices?

At the same scale the footprint appears to be about half the building, but I think at least part of the old art museum is 2-story. Much less parking.

130559414_009d5fa2c6_o.jpg

I heard they were selling the old depot on Ionia to an unnamed retailer, but didn't hear where they were going. I wonder what the purpose is?

I had heard retailer also, but today I heard the name of an office user that was purchasing the depot.

• 1 month later...

My understanding is that US Signal is moving from the 4th floor of the BOB to the depot. I did not know where Design+ was moving. My understanding is that Design+ really did not need all of the space in the depot.

With all the computer work, etc. now I think architects in general don't need the space they used to. I think Beta did a similar downsizing moving to their new Ionia digs from 50 Monroe.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have any information on the progress of the Douglas J Salon renovation on Cherry and Commerce? The original announcement said completion in October of '06 as I recall, and I haven't seen any activity on site.

I have. They now have caged off much of the interior, and I no longer see cars parked there during the day.

Does anyone have any information on the progress of the Douglas J Salon renovation on Cherry and Commerce? The original announcement said completion in October of '06 as I recall, and I haven't seen any activity on site.

Supposedly the October completion isn't until the end of October...

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't see a thread for this project, but the Grand Rapids Business Journal has an article about a possible new parking garage that would be built: GRBJ link.

The proposal will be presented to the City Commission in about two weeks, would have 318 spaces and cost $9.4m, the most expensive per-space parking ramp in GR's history. If approved, building would begin in November.

Ramp.jpg