New Construction and Renovations in the Heartside District

MJLO

• 2 weeks later...

Got my answer on this structure being renovated:

2073429751_dc7dfe1d41_b.jpg

Sam Cummings has owned it for two years and is now getting it renovated for office/retail/restaurant use. He's hoping that the new 38 Commerce ramp/development across the street will be a catalyst for this area of Commerce.

http://www.grbj.com/GRBJ/ArticleArchive/20...storic+Redo.htm

Some interesting history of the little 5000 square foot building:

The building

Is it just me or could anyone imagine another story or two being built on top of it? I think that would be cool. :thumbsup:

I totally agree. I think there are quite a few buildings downtown that could take some added floors. John Rooks and Brice Bossardet (who is talking about adding two floors to 56 Monroe Center) are the only ones who seem to embrace this idea so far. It was quite commonplace back at the turn of the 19th Century.

I guess some people can't fathom the thought of GR going vertical instead of horizontal. I think it adds a lot of depth to the city - i.e. Monroe Center.

I think one argument that could be made against it is that there is still a lot of office vacancy downtown, so no real need to add on floors. In cramped cities like Chicago, D.C. or even London, it makes a lot more sense. But at the same time, property prices are getting so sky high downtown, that perhaps adding floors to existing buildings might be more economical (the "land" is already in the price of the existing building?). I think especially adding small residential projects to building rooftops is pretty cool, as it puts people up amongst the architecture of the existing historic buildings, and gives people a cool view of the surroundings. Think of what RDV added on to the top of their building on Ottawa.

Imagine having panoramic views like this:

2035782178_34aab299a0_b.jpg

2035783984_bcfe2f1ec8_b.jpg

2103293531_14966fe11f_b.jpg

2103291585_eacd9ce1d9_b.jpg

or having a little space on top of one of these buildings:

2103290451_0e53e95860_b.jpg

The building owners are Dave, Paul, and Monte Reinert. The same group that owns O'Toole's and Monte's on Bridge St. Last I heard the building was going to be turned into a bar/restaurant called The Republic....serving tapas and small plate type meals.

RapidGrowth has an update on the two pubs going in here:

http://www.rapidgrowthmedia.com/developmen...epblic1213.aspx

They are also reporting that Go Java is the name of the new coffee joint that replaced Hava Java in 15 Ionia:

http://www.rapidgrowthmedia.com/developmen...gojava1213.aspx

They were asked to leave. A new tenant will be starting work in the space soon.

I sent an email to the contact on the website and got a response from Jameson, one of the co-owners. That wasn't how he worded it as far as the reason for moving. :) But, he said they have moved their frame shop, print shop, and photography studio to 436 Leonard NW with more services to be added soon. No gallery at this location. They are currently open weekdays, but have plans for official weekend hours soon. According to him, they are changing their name to Art Business Services.

Any idea who the new tenant will be? Another tattoo shop? :P

• 3 weeks later...

Parked in the new Commerce/Cherry ramp last night, and I can report that our experience was not a good one at all:

1) There were no signs in front of the ramp entrance, that we could see, that said anything about "event parking". Just a sign that said "Daily Rate: $6". So I would have thought it meant if you parked for a day it would be $6. It was $6 for about an hour and fifteen minutes!

2) Automated payment systems? Junk it! What you do is take a ticket when you pull in, just like any other ramp, and you have to remember to take the ticket with you when you leave the ramp (thankfully I did). Then as you return, the payment machine, much like an ATM, is at the bottom of the staircase near the ramp pedestrian door. NOT in an enclosed heated alcove. Remember that winter lasts at least 4 months here. So you insert your ticket, and wait 1.......2.......3........4.......5........6.......7.......8......9......10 (still reading your ticket).....11.....12.......13......14.....15.....16......17 (your nose hairs are starting to freeze now)......18.....19......20........(I almost expected to hear the tones of the old internet dial-up going on it was so slow)......................................................card read, PLEASE INSERT $6. $6!! For an hour and fifteen minutes!! #@$%&%$!!! Insert credit/debit card, 1.......2.......3........4.......5........6.......7.......8.......9......10.....

.11 (by this time my wife gets frustrated and heads for the car)......12......13......14......15......16......17.......18......19.....20. Would you like a receipt? Yes 1.....2.....3......4.......5......6.......7.......8.......9.......10........11..

.....12.......13......14......15........16.........17........18........19.......

.........................................20. Please take your receipt. Thank you for parking and freezing your arse off.

What a piece of junk.

Why don't they just have you pay as you are leaving, like they do at the Kinko's lot? At least your car can warm up while you are messing with the machine.

• 1 month later...

Several items for the Heartside area:

) As Chris Knape mentions today, Dwelling Place is seeking financial assistance from the DDA to relocate the Senior Center at 44 Ionia (ground floor of Weston Apartments), to 333 South Division (near Wealthy). They hope to open up the entire ground floor of 44 Ionia to potential retail/restaurant tenants. Should the DDA help with this cost?

) In the Business Journal today, they talk about the two new restaurant pubs opening at 45 South Division (old Alma Latina): "Rockwell's" and "Republic". Both would have open mezzanines (like San Chez and Hopcat's), would prominently feature artwork to go along with the Avenue of the Arts theme of South Division, would have a shared kitchen, and would have outdoor seating in the rear. They hope to open both venues by the end of March.

Oops, I see RapidGrowth talked about the two restaurants back in late December.

) As Chris Knape mentions today, Dwelling Place is seeking financial assistance from the DDA to relocate the Senior Center at 44 Ionia (ground floor of Weston Apartments), to 333 South Division (near Wealthy). They hope to open up the entire ground floor of 44 Ionia to potential retail/restaurant tenants. Should the DDA help with this cost?

Are the Weston Apartments senior housing? I assumed the senior center including housing in the upper floors, but if it's just the ground floor then I'm curious.

Are the Weston Apartments senior housing? I assumed the senior center including housing in the upper floors, but if it's just the ground floor then I'm curious.

Nope, just low-income housing upstairs. They just underwent a $6 Million renovation too.

http://www.dwellingplacegr.org/propertyview.asp?id=22

There are two new "artist" spaces available in the ground floor of the new Verne Barry Place. They are both two-story live/work units, with retail space on the ground floor and upstairs living space with balconies overlooking South Division. I peaked in the windows and they appear to have circular stairs up to the 2nd floors. Parking is also inside the buildings lower floors in the rear.

Artist galleries on S. Division ready for tenants

2267407646_423f63d77d_b.jpg

2266619389_6e0f889053_b.jpg