New Construction and Renovations in the Heartside District

MJLO

I don't remember where these were mentioned, but it looks like the two new restaurants are set to open on Division. What a difference!

2488345544_02d89e1b01_b.jpg

2487533259_e9abe417cd_b.jpg

2488363418_a0e6c5e90b_b.jpg

Now the rest of the block needs some attention:

2488348478_e8c520ea2f_b.jpg

ProCare actually looks like it has tenants in it:

2487531015_083a81ff94_b.jpg

And Loose Leaf Lofts looks about wrapped up:

2488350738_d61daaae42_b.jpg

I thought this was going to be a big outdoor patio area? And no bike racks!!

2487535705_2fac703337_b.jpg

What an amazing transformation going on in Heartside!

I thought this was going to be a big outdoor patio area? And no bike racks!!

:offtopic: Who bicycles in Grand Rapids? I just read an article a couple of weeks ago in Rapid Growth about how dangerous it is. :P

Link: http://www.rapidgrowthmedia.com/features/bike9908.aspx

I actually think GR is quite a friendly place to bicycle, but that's a whole other story. Sure it could be better (like all new developments in the core downtown could have tons of bicycle parking spaces, like Hopson Flats) and there could be more education and facilities, but it's certainly not unsafe.

From my office I can see the finish work in ProCare's new offices are done and furniture has been moved in. I have seen people in there, so it's possible they're already working out of the new office, but I can't be sure yet.

And that woodchip garden at Loose Leaf Lofts is...big.

:offtopic: Who bicycles in Grand Rapids? I just read an article a couple of weeks ago in Rapid Growth about how dangerous it is. :P

Link: http://www.rapidgrowthmedia.com/features/bike9908.aspx

I actually think GR is quite a friendly place to bicycle, but that's a whole other story. Sure it could be better (like all new developments in the core downtown could have tons of bicycle parking spaces, like Hopson Flats) and there could be more education and facilities, but it's certainly not unsafe.

The subject property may have obtained a variance due to the low number of (car) parking spaces provided.

About that goofy piece in Rapid Growth: I'm going to compose a POV essay outlining my perceptions on gun safety, motorcycles, drag racing, smoking, drinking, gambling, bungee jumping, iron working, playing soccer, driving trucks, fishing in the Grand, bar-hopping, acid rock concerts, and hanging out at the mall...seeing as how I am just as qualified to speak to those activities as the RG piece author is to address bicycling.

Anyone notise the sliding doors to the one-inch patios on loose leaf? The two resturaunts on Division are awesome though. I wonder if they will be open in time for the year's first Avenue of the Arts MARKET?

they werent allowed to have patios so the sliding doors just "open" up the space more

Anyone notise the sliding doors to the one-inch patios on loose leaf? The two resturaunts on Division are awesome though. I wonder if they will be open in time for the year's first Avenue of the Arts MARKET?

Natural ventilation is a good thing

Am I the only one that feels that Loose Leaf looks nothing like it showed in the renderings?

Im sure it doesn't.

looseleaflofts.jpg

Too many GR developers seem to be masters at this type of thing. Take out all the cool flourishes and buy bigger pine trees to cover it up as quickly as possible.

Sell them on the drawing, and hope they dont pay attention after that.

The two resturaunts on Division are awesome though. I wonder if they will be open in time for the year's first Avenue of the Arts MARKET?

Rumor on the street is the "Soft Opening" is tentatively set for next Thursday evening May 22nd.

Awesome, just what I was waiting for, another steriotypical brick building, thanks Loose Leaf!

Sad, I was actually kinda psyched when I saw the rendering...

huh, i kinda like it... its pretty close to the rendering apart from the paint... I like the extra landscaping the more green the better. the reason the front doesnt have a patio is that the store is now located throught the back entrance (based on my peeking through windows)

Douglas J Suites:

http://www.douglasj.com/douglasjsuites/

I was looking around for the reservations number to get my haircut when I saw this:

Loose Leaf Lofts provides an urban oasis in Downtown Grand Rapids that also houses Commerce Market, a hybrid coffee shop/diner/neighborhood grocer. Loose Leaf Lofts offers a dynamic combination of big city living with the peacefulness of tree-lined streets. Located steps away are eclectic clothing and furniture stores, hotels, dozens of restaurants, parks, cathedrals, the Rapid Transit System, unlimited nightlife, Van Andel Arena and DeVos Place.

Just because you learn and work in a big city doesn't mean that you can't escape it when you return to Loose Leaf Lofts. The interior d

Edited by fotoman311

Douglas J Suites:

http://www.douglasj.com/douglasjsuites/

I was looking around for the reservations number to get my haircut when I saw this:

This is right below the somewhat inaccurate sketch with the patio and entranceway.

There's also a floorplan. I think this place looks pretty sweet and if it's somewhat reasonably priced I would think it would be very popular with the students at Douglas J.

Has sort of a "sorority house" layout to it. I can see that having a pretty decent appeal to it, and there's nothing quite like it downtown.

Oh fotoman, patio is now open at Hopcat:

http://www.rapidgrowthmedia.com/developmen...hopcat0533.aspx

Has sort of a "sorority house" layout to it. I can see that having a pretty decent appeal to it, and there's nothing quite like it downtown.

Oh fotoman, patio is now open at Hopcat:

http://www.rapidgrowthmedia.com/developmen...hopcat0533.aspx

Awesome! I've been craving some Short's Huma-lupa-licious recently. I'll have to stop by when it warms up here soon and check out the patio.

Loose Leaf Lofts offers a dynamic combination of big city living with the peacefulness of tree-lined streets. Located steps away are eclectic clothing and furniture stores, hotels, dozens of restaurants, parks, cathedrals, the Rapid Transit System, unlimited nightlife, Van Andel Arena and DeVos Place.

Talk about a sell job. Cathedrals? Furniture stores? Unlimited nightlife?

On Wednesday, May 28th from 4-7pm, Second Story Properties is hosting an open house at 53 Commerce SW. The Planeteer's are invited to this event, please RSVP on this thread if you can attend. A walking tour of the development projects on Commerce will start at 6:15pm.

A little more info about 53 Commerce SW: This newly renovated 1920's style brick building once housed a vehicle repair shop. Check out the "airplane hangar roof" and the 5,000 square feet open floor plan. Appetizers and Drinks will be served.

~TripleG

I don't remember where these were mentioned, but it looks like the two new restaurants are set to open on Division. What a difference!

2488348478_e8c520ea2f_b.jpg

What an amazing transformation going on in Heartside!

I peeked in the windows of both of these places today and they look pretty cool. Small, intimate spaces, big beefy wood trim, tile floors, and both feature small mezzanines above. There's also a big semi-enclosed porch off the back of one of them, with an upper deck with seating. Nice views I bet.

I peeked in the windows of both of these places today and they look pretty cool. Small, intimate spaces, big beefy wood trim, tile floors, and both feature small mezzanines above. There's also a big semi-enclosed porch off the back of one of them, with an upper deck with seating. Nice views I bet.

A couple of friends and i checked out Rockwells last night. Yes, they are open and seemed to be doing very well on there fifth day of operation. The food was good, the staff attentive and there was a very nice beer and wine selection. And those mezzanies are pretty big. I'm guessing about 1/2 of the seating is upstairs. We walked through the Republic side too (they connect), and at least on this night Rockwell's was the more popular of the two. While that back porch isnt officially open yet, we were able to walk out on in, and the veiws are very nice.

• 4 months later...