New Construction and Renovations in the Heartside District

MJLO

That's actually awesome news. Another nightspot to go under in a year? When there will be one right across the street? Yeah right.

It's just the optimist in me that wants some sort of retail or other use in that space rather than cubicles, even though I know it would be difficult with the parking. I'd like to think that maybe the UICA, its apts, the 38 Commerce space, and the apts that Rockford is doing will drive more foot traffic in that area? The offices certainly fit into the neighborhood with all the other stuff on Commerce and I agree that it would be a great space to work in. Go Lambert.

I just wish such a nice space with all that window frontage on the sidewalk could get something with more life that would serve the neighborhood residents and draw people from outside (**cough cough** Trader Joe's **cough cough**) as well.

Edited by fotoman311

I'm not necessarily looking for a nightclub, but something that would be a nice after hours draw rather than a place that will go dark at 5:00 and be abandoned on the weekend.

That building has been vacant for 2 - 3 years. In that same time period, how many restaurants/bars have gone under or "changed ownership" downtown?

Also, if you could see Lambert Edwards current bland 90's space, this will be awesome for them.

That building has been vacant for 2 - 3 years. In that same time period, how many restaurants/bars have gone under or "changed ownership" downtown?

Also, if you could see Lambert Edwards current bland 90's space, this will be awesome for them.

Well, yes many have. but with that way of thinking, we should replace all of them with investment firms to spare us the sight of a potential "for lease" sign.

This building was empty for two years, and for the most part, it pretty much will be now.

Heartside's already established itself as GR's premiere place to get drunk. New nightclubs will be popping in and out all the time for years to come, regardless of this move. I think Heartside can always use more commercial businesses like Lambert - more actual commerce on Commerce St.

Edited by RegalTDP

Well, yes many have. but with that way of thinking, we should replace all of them with investment firms to spare us the sight of a potential "for lease" sign.

This building was empty for two years, and for the most part, it pretty much will be now.

Huh? Most people's waking hours are 8am to 10pm. They'll be working in there from 8 - 5, which is about 75% of the that. A bar would have people in it for maybe lunch, and then from 4pm - 2am. Seems like 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of another.

Huh? Most people's waking hours are 8am to 10pm. They'll be working in there from 8 - 5, which is about 75% of the that. A bar would have people in it for maybe lunch, and then from 4pm - 2am. Seems like 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of another.

I didn't mean that literally. :P

I meant just in terms of a place that would be a draw for a large amount of people.

An investment firm draws about as much interest as the place being vacant to the public.

Huh? It brings employees, who eat, drink, shop, walk and possibly live in the neighborhood. If that doesn't add vitality, I don't know what does. It strengthens existing business and potentially brings new business in. It also helps create critical mass. That's exactly what we need more of, not just bars and restaurants (not that I'm opposed to bars or restaurants).

Joe

I didn't mean that literally. :P

I meant just in terms of a place that would be a draw for a large amount of people.

An investment firm draws about as much interest as the place being vacant to the public.

We were discussing that particular space, not the merits of them moving downtown. More people working in Heartside is good for that area.

Joe

Not sure how a company, already located downtown, moves to a different location downtown is a good thing for downtown. Sure it puts people into a previously vacant building, but it also empties out office space in another building. At best, that sounds like a draw.

Not sure how a company, already located downtown, moves to a different location downtown is a good thing for downtown. Sure it puts people into a previously vacant building, but it also empties out office space in another building. At best, that sounds like a draw.

Have you been in their current offices? It's definitely a much cooler space. Plus, most people won't even know their current office space will be vacated, where as 47 Commerce is a lot higher profile.

What Heartside/Downtown needs is an Arby's Restaurant. Much better hours than Quiznos!

Hey John, there are these appliances called "refrigerators" and "ovens" that allow you to have hot food, cooked to order, just about anytime you want. HTH

Seriously, Arby's is pretty much a suburban life form, needing a parking lot and a drive-up service window to meet their corporate requirements...not to mention certain amounts of traffic. I can't think of any available location in Heartside (or anywhere else DT) where such a use would fit.

There used to be a McDonald's in the McKay, too. It'd actually be nice if it was still there.. the location on the hill is too far to bother walking to. But, the ability to have a drive-thru on the hill probably makes it more profitable. What I'd really like to see is a 24-hour place like Denny's or Steak & Shake move Downtown.

There used to be a McDonald's in the McKay, too. It'd actually be nice if it was still there.. the location on the hill is too far to bother walking to. But, the ability to have a drive-thru on the hill probably makes it more profitable. What I'd really like to see is a 24-hour place like Denny's or Steak & Shake move Downtown.

What hours is Big Boy over on Pearl open?

I'd rather see a 24 hour place like The Grand Coney move downtown somewhere. I imagine the rents are much higher than over on Michigan. Seems like parking wouldn't be as much of a problem during the evening, though.

Hey John, there are these appliances called "refrigerators" and "ovens" that allow you to have hot food, cooked to order, just about anytime you want. HTH

Seriously, Arby's is pretty much a suburban life form, needing a parking lot and a drive-up service window to meet their corporate requirements...not to mention certain amounts of traffic. I can't think of any available location in Heartside (or anywhere else DT) where such a use would fit.

No, they need to bring back Schlotzsky's. :) Funny name, serious sandwiches.

I was in the Heartside area thanks to ArtPrize and I was wondering, does anyone know what happened to Food Smith? They had great food. Still on Heartside Business Association website but I haven't seen any signs of life around there. Or I'm just blind.

They poured the cement for Cherry Street today.

~John

And then you went home and baked a loaf of flour. :) (please don't send me a PM, j/k)

Hey, I just noticed. Did that building on the right just get around to replacing their bricks that fell off? Or has that been fixed for a while?