New Construction and Renovations in the Heartside District

MJLO

I think he was joking that the developer will build an estate for himself with all of the tax money. I looked for more information on this proposal to get a better idea of the project specifics other than the 100 apartments.

As for the Herkimer project, anyone know how much commercial is going in? Even if $2 million goes into the first floor and parking ramp, and those produce sufficient income to warrant that investment, that's still $50k per remaining residential unit--studio efficiencies, at that--which still seems a little high. Not that I love to pry into how a charity spends its money... :whistling:

I don't understand this reference. What $28M estate are you referring to?

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

The projects in Heartside are starting to pile up. Time to list them?

Karl Chew's plans to build infill at Division and Cherry

The Baker Furniture factory on Logan getting all approvals to move forward

Herkimer addition down to Commerce

100 Commerce

All the land swapping behind the arena apparently has serious proposals behind some of it

The Urban Market demolition will start soon

And another business development initiative that could make Heartside a destination for creatives from around the country. Just sayin.

Agreed. The only real obstacle to it being seamlessly usurped into the core is the Wealthy Street overpass. But I don't think that will stop the area from booming.

Joe

There is talk of bringing Wealthy down to grade when it gets rebuilt in a few years. Huge expense though, we'll see where MDOT lands.

I believe. 131 goes over the rest of downtown, drops abruptly to go under Wealthy, and then goes back UP again over the railroad tracks.

Maybe it had to do with the limited space they had for onramps? They figured making the ramps go down would give merging traffic a better chance to gain speed? Would be interesting to know the actual reasoning for that. While a raised highway creates a barrier in the urban fabric as the rest of 131 does, it's even worse when it forces the huge overpass like Wealthy.

Wealthy was elevated to allow it to go over the railroad tracks on either side of US 131. The west side tracks were the approaches to the freight houses / yard to the north (Wealthy to Fulton area ) and the reason 131 is elevatated to Grandville Ave. The east side was the Pennsy's access to the west side via the "blue bridge" as well as acess to the businesses on Ionia. Those tracks did get removed until the rail consolidation plan of 1984.

When plans for the Amtrak station were announced, many people (myself included) wondered why the station is going to be located south of Wealthy, separated from Central Station by a parking lot. Perhaps this is because the long-term plans include bringing Wealthy down to grade. At that time, a pedestrian bridge could be constructed to connect the Amtrak Station with Central Station.

I notice that reconstructing US-131 from 28th St. to Wealthy, including adding weave/merge lanes, is on the 2035 GVMC plan. This project might be an ideal time to raise 131, as the bridges south of Wealthy will, I assume, already need to be reconstructed to add the new lanes. The project is in the Illustrative Project List appendix, though there is a price-tag listed, so some planning has already been done.

When plans for the Amtrak station were announced, many people (myself included) wondered why the station is going to be located south of Wealthy, separated from Central Station by a parking lot. Perhaps this is because the long-term plans include bringing Wealthy down to grade. At that time, a pedestrian bridge could be constructed to connect the Amtrak Station with Central Station.

I notice that reconstructing US-131 from 28th St. to Wealthy, including adding weave/merge lanes, is on the 2035 GVMC plan. This project might be an ideal time to raise 131, as the bridges south of Wealthy will, I assume, already need to be reconstructed to add the new lanes. The project is in the Illustrative Project List appendix, though there is a price-tag listed, so some planning has already been done.

I had to chuckle at the forum because the reason they gave that they can't go north of Wealthy because there's not enough clearance over the tracks. Funny thing is 30 years ago there were active tracks in the very location they propose and the tracks went all the way to and north of Fulton.

US131 over the RR is going to be rehabbed this summer or next.

Edited by Raildudes dad

• 3 months later...