New Construction and Renovations in the Heartside District

MJLO

Harris Building is a remarkable venue. Start at the top with the Good Will project. Don't miss the "Connected Art from a Spiritual Perspective" installation.

And on the front side, in a space that includes the Knights of Pythias window, is a lovely lounge with several crafty pieces. (Jesus made from beer bottle caps!)

SPOILER: The wall of antique mirrors, and the one of "Cavalry Officers"-style photos, are well worth the trip.

I recommended that A/P look into expanding its Art clubhouse over here for 2014.

Edited by Veloise

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I suppose this is the closest topic to this location.

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2014/02/showgirls_galleria_adult_night.html#incart_river_default

"Showgirls Galleria adult night club is on the market for $6 million"

I am so glad this building is on the market. I've always hated this place. Such a trashy and tacky building especially at night with those huge neon lights. However, the 6 million is far too much for this place seeing that any non-industrial buyer will have to plow millions into renovating it so it doesn't look like a bunker.

'Wheeler (Orion Realty) points to a marketing study for the Michigan Street corridor that concluded there is a demand for 1,200 new apartments per year over the next five years in the downtown area.'

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2014/03/downtown_housing_is_an_elusive.html

I'd like to get ahold of that study.

'Wheeler (Orion Realty) points to a marketing study for the Michigan Street corridor that concluded there is a demand for 1,200 new apartments per year over the next five years in the downtown area.'

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2014/03/downtown_housing_is_an_elusive.html

I'd like to get ahold of that study.

http://grcity.us/design-and-development-services/Planning-Department/michiganstreetcorridor/Pages/Reports.aspx

I've looked at the Zimmerman Volk studies multiple times over the years, and I can't find where the 1200 new apartments per year comes from, for just Michigan Street. I can say that about 500 new apartments are in the works right now for ALL of downtown. About 600 units were added for ALL of downtown between 2010 - 2013, some market rate, most income restricted.

I've also noticed they talk about 755 multi-family housing units could be absorbed per year just on Michigan Street, whereas downtown has sold just over 120 condo units per year in the last two years. Quite a difference.

We had a thread on here about the ZV studies and I think a lot of us agreed that they are questionable at best. In fact, they were done in 2011, and not one of their estimates was even close in the three years since, and the market has rebounded enough that it should have been close.

Based on historical data, which is the ethical way to make sales predictions on investments, housing, etc., I'd say ALL of downtown could absorb 200 condo units and about 300 apartments, maybe 400, per year.

Based on historical data, which is the ethical way to make sales predictions on investments, housing, etc., I'd say ALL of downtown could absorb 200 condo units and about 300 apartments, maybe 400, per year.

Doesn't 616 Development have 1,200 people on a waiting list?  Long-term, your predicted absorption rate may be right, but downtown could certainly accommodate a higher unit count the next few years. 

It would appear that there is extremely high demand for both.

Yep, extremely high demand for both. But I still maintain those ZV numbers are dangerously over-stated. A bubble market is the last thing Grand Rapids needs again. I'll stick by the numbers I mentioned earlier (for market rate sales). ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Arguments about low income housing tax credits aside, it is cool to see so much infill going on right now, and getting cleaned up and ready for occupancy. Cherry Street appears to be a few weeks from reopening. 

13545397213_2abfc5d866_b.jpg

13545391253_2c1409f5ef_b.jpg

13545613994_01b5bed04a_b.jpg

13545635914_d8cbf8be3d_b.jpg

13545630834_976a371c96_b.jpg

I was surprised the street sweepers were out. There's a lot of dirt leftover from the snowbanks still. Need a good rain!

13545638894_6d73639892_b.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Goodwill closes downtown Grand Rapids store; cites location difficulties

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2014/04/goodwill_closing_downtown.html

End of the last of the old school Goodwill stores. Been going there since I was a little kid. Found everything from an Eames chair to a Bose Wave Radio and lots of cool stuff. After 40 years they just up and quit because it was a "difficult" location?

I have to say that these do not look like "work force" apartments, they look like market rate apartments.  All and all, I'm very impressed with Chew's projects.  They all seem to be very well put together (at least in pictures)  Has anyone here lived in one of his projects?

http://livedowntowngrandrapids.com/property/205-south-division-avenue/

The views from the Division project are not too shabby either.

There are also pics of some other projects including the new church redevelopment over on Lake Drive.   

Edited by mpchicago

I have not personally lived in them, although I do have a few friends that do.  They all have market rate appointments all in all pretty awesome.  The friends I have that live there, pay the market rate.  The people who live in those units that qualify for the tax credit rate are pretty much all students.   In fact I haven't seen anyone who didn't really fit into that desirable downtown demographic that we all want to live in the core.

I have to say that these do not look like "work force" apartments, they look like market rate apartments.  All and all, I'm very impressed with Chew's projects.  They all seem to be very well put together (at least in pictures)  Has anyone here lived in one of his projects?

http://livedowntowngrandrapids.com/property/205-south-division-avenue/

The views from the Division project are not too shabby either.

There are also pics of some other projects including the new church redevelopment over on Lake Drive.   

The polished concrete is pretty nice, and costs less than traditional flooring like carpet or hardwood, and won't have to be replaced ever. They do touches that make it look higher end but don't really cost that much: bank of 6 cabinets is probably $3500, hard to tell what the counters are made of but maybe soapstone or corian in the kitchen? About $1500. The stainless hood is about $750, lower end stainless steel appliances a couple grand. They do look pretty nice though, way better than the market rate apartments we lived in around town when we first moved here in the 90's, that cost probably twice as much (even back then).

• 2 months later...

This one totally has flown under the radar, but it looks like the trashy waste of space establishment known as Tini Bikini’s Bar & Grill has closed. I saw it mentioned in a WoodTV story about someone running into it.

http://woodtv.com/2014/07/04/van-crashes-into-building-in-downtown-gr/

The building that was hit — 76 S. Division Ave. — previously housed the Tini Bikini’s Bar & Grill and was purchased by Heartside Ministry just last Tuesday.

So while I'm thrilled that this place is gone, I'm less than thrilled that basically yet another Degege will park itself on another Heartside corner.

Edited by GR_Urbanist
  • Like 1

So while I'm thrilled that that place is gone, I'm less than thrilled that basically yet another Degege will park itself on another Heartside corner.

More shelters? It's frustrating to have such pervasive misuse of what is the only decent remaining largely uninterrupted street front in GR.   Despite all the construction and new residential, how is anything ever going to take off on the commercial front?  I still get nervous driving down Division with my windows down--and that from someone used to seeing it on a daily basis.  It's a little odd, really.  Live in a beautiful home or condo in the city, and go to the suburbs to shop because downtown's commercial districts are all slums (or bulldozed long ago).