New Construction and Renovations in the Heartside District

MJLO

5 hours ago, mpchicago said:

I disagree. Having the bike lane in between the parked car and the traffic is is not as protected for the bicyclist than if it's between the curb and the parking lane. Whether it's option 4 or option 4a the size of each lane doesn't change, and if the overall project is sized properly then the car door should not obstruct the bike lane.  With 4a you are avoiding moving traffic, and it offers the the bicyclist easy egress from the street.  If you look at all the new bike lanes all over the Chicago area, they are moving to this design.  

Whatever they end up with, having a bike lane on Sheldon is better than none at all.

bike-lane-church-coe_2.png

How does snow removal work in situations like this?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

(106) Gallery and Studio looks to have vacated. Noticed that the space was empty driving by a couple of days ago. Here is the confirmation

http://www.calvin.edu/centerartgallery/studio/?

Whatever the reason. It was done abrupt and quietly. Their facebook page had a post just a few days ago (March 4th) about an exhibition that just took place there.

S. Division continuing on that downward slide.

5 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

(106) Gallery and Studio looks to have vacated. Noticed that the space was empty driving by a couple of days ago. Here is the confirmation

http://www.calvin.edu/centerartgallery/studio/?

Whatever the reason. It was done abrupt and quietly. Their facebook page had a post just a few days ago (March 4th) about an exhibition that just took place there.

S. Division continuing on that downward slide.

I know Calvin has been in financial distress over the last couple of years.  They were trying to off load the Ladies Literary Club as well.  Not sure where that stands?

2 hours ago, mpchicago said:

I know Calvin has been in financial distress over the last couple of years.  They were trying to off load the Ladies Literary Club as well.  Not sure where that stands?

I talked to them last year about this because I knew of someone looking for a cool restaurant space and they were very specific as to what they wanted the new buyer to do with it (keep it as a theater, no major changes). Almost sounded like they were going to put deed restrictions into it. Not surprised it hasn't sold, assuming it hasn't. It also doesn't have A/C which they got an estimate that was astronomical. 

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't find a more relevant thread, so I'm putting this here. Has anyone else heard rumors of the city wanting to move the police department to a proposed new building in the Ionia & Franklin area? I have heard this twice now in recent months by word of mouth, but have yet to find any evidence to support it. I'm skeptical, considering the lobby of the current building was recently renovated.

For what it's worth, I'm a long-time lurker here (10+ years). You guys have a great community with fingers on the pulse of our fair city. 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Johannes said:

I couldn't find a more relevant thread, so I'm putting this here. Has anyone else heard rumors of the city wanting to move the police department to a proposed new building in the Ionia & Franklin area? I have heard this twice now in recent months by word of mouth, but have yet to find any evidence to support it. I'm skeptical, considering the lobby of the current building was recently renovated.

For what it's worth, I'm a long-time lurker here (10+ years). You guys have a great community with fingers on the pulse of our fair city. 

WOW - That's a long time to lurk! :P  Congratulations on your first post!

Maybe GRPD are considering a substation?  Highly doubt that they are moving HQ.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Johannes said:

Ideas/scenarios I've always wanted to come to fruition - 

1. The city sells 201 Market as well as it other parcels as a part of a planned sale and use the money and opportunity to relocate multiple city services, including GRPD to a new, state-of-the-art, sustainable building elsewhere and free up the site that GRDP currently occupies. Those dead sidewalks KILL ME every single day I go by there. 

2. As the city and Grand Action consider space for a new convention hotel and addition to DVP, they go with the option to move City Hall and subsequently also move GRPD into a civic center building full of progressive city services, meeting spaces, etc. 

(I prefer my option 1) but at the end of the day I'd just LOVE to see that GRPD headquarters get moved elsewhere. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MJLO said:

I haven't heard any rumors.  If the Police were to relocate their headquarters, 82 Ionia seems like it could be a good building for that too.

The problem with that location is it would keep that area devoid of ground level retail/restaurants. Can't imagine the police department letting any other use other than their own use on the ground floor of a building that they occupy. 

6 minutes ago, Prankster said:

The problem with that location is it would keep that area devoid of ground level retail/restaurants. Can't imagine the police department letting any other use other than their own use on the ground floor of a building that they occupy. 

Would you rather that area be devoid of ground floor retail/restaurants (which it already is).  Or it's current location which on major pedestrian corridors on both sides.

I'd love to see GRPD move out of their current location. It was a good fix for a white elephant at the time, but it seems like an oddly repurposed building in an odd locations. 

I used to work across the street and it was weird to see the SWAT vehicle parked on the sidewalk, with team members getting ready. It didn't seem like the optimal situation. 

Whether they move or not, I don't know. But I'd be happy to see them free up that space (if someone had good plans to demolish the building and do something big).

Joe

• Like 1

10 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I'd love to see GRPD move out of their current location. It was a good fix for a white elephant at the time, but it seems like an oddly repurposed building in an odd locations. 

I used to work across the street and it was weird to see the SWAT vehicle parked on the sidewalk, with team members getting ready. It didn't seem like the optimal situation. 

Whether they move or not, I don't know. But I'd be happy to see them free up that space (if someone had good plans to demolish the building and do something big).

Joe

Maybe GRPD is getting some major MAGA funding to bring more "law and order" to the inner cities, ie a new police station in the middle of the most crime centric area of the city. *you heard it here first

• Like 2

The city should have stuck with the plan to break up into small precincts. I thought the sub stations were a brilliant idea because they brought some stability to areas that really were struggling with criminal activity, if for no other reason than they were there! I've read that cities even will leave empty police cars in locations, and that actually had a psychological effect of warning-off potential crooks.

There can be a "central" location, but it really doesn't need to be the place they are now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, temporary.name said:

Nice. I love that CC continues to invest in it's downtown presence. I didn't particularly enjoy it when I attended (school...Ugh :P ) but looking back on it, I'm very proud. 

I agree, I couldn't stand going DT there as a kid (I remember being disappointed they didn't relocate to the south sid of town). Now I'd view it entirely different. Good for them continuing ro expand.

• 1 month later...
49 minutes ago, GVSUChris said:

Looks like there will be an advisory discussion next week regarding an 8-story building proposal at 11 Cherry SW. From the crappy rendering I saw it is pretty horrific BUT I think the basic purpose as of now is just advisory re: scale/size/etc. 

Is it for St. Mary's? Residential, office, medical?

Joe

1 hour ago, GVSUChris said:

Looks like there will be an advisory discussion next week regarding an 8-story building proposal at 11 Cherry SW. From the crappy rendering I saw it is pretty horrific BUT I think the basic purpose as of now is just advisory re: scale/size/etc. 

I don't really understand where 11 Cherry is? Any more details?