New Construction and Renovations in the Heartside District

MJLO

Frankly this has got to be one of the most bizarre proposals I've ever heard of.

The city isnt going to allow these guys to build an eight story building here. Honestly I have no idea where it would even go. I suppose if it involves taking out that park (not an all bad thing) then MAYBE, but that is a big maybe.

if it was 13 Cherry SE, which is a parking lot, I would be more optimistic.

58 minutes ago, MJLO said:

Should I be ashamed that I think that building in that location would be awesome?

No. It's better than most of the junk that gets proposed.  And the top of the building has serious potential.  But I'm not really sure what's going on with the bottom of the building.  That just looks weird. I googled the designed... He doesn't seem to be an architect which is probably why most of the building is as attractive as it is... :)  If this guy is serious about this project and finishing it in this style, he'll need an architect.  There aren't that many who have this sort of style still in their wheelhouse.  But it's the sort of thing David M. Schwarz architects would do well with (www.dmsas.com).  I've noted their stuff in Forth Worth, Texas before.  It has taken them decades, but they have mastered the form of a traditional brick building that doesn't look forced or phony.

51 minutes ago, x99 said:

No. It's better than most of the junk that gets proposed.  And the top of the building has serious potential.  But I'm not really sure what's going on with the bottom of the building.  That just looks weird. I googled the designed... He doesn't seem to be an architect which is probably why most of the building is as attractive as it is... :)  If this guy is serious about this project and finishing it in this style, he'll need an architect.  There aren't that many who have this sort of style still in their wheelhouse.  But it's the sort of thing David M. Schwarz architects would do well with (www.dmsas.com).  I've noted their stuff in Forth Worth, Texas before.  It has taken them decades, but they have mastered the form of a traditional brick building that doesn't look forced or phony.

I bet they give it to one of the local firms and we get an 8 story siding box!!  :tw_heart:

• Like 4

On 4/29/2017 at 8:53 AM, GR_Urbanist said:

i guess this idea doesn't seem too weird after all.

Well, the whole idea seems beyond weird once you drive past it at any point during the day, which I did a few days ago.  You wouldn't be able to convince most people to take space in this place even if it was completely free.  I mean, the building costs the same no matter where you put it.  Why, of all places, would you ever consider putting it here?  Unless the building is a 9 story homeless shelter.  :unsure:

Edited by x99

31 minutes ago, x99 said:

Well, the whole idea seems beyond weird once you drive past it at any point during the day, which I did a few days ago.  You wouldn't be able to convince most people to take space in this place even if it was completely free.  I mean, the building costs the same no matter where you put it.  Why, of all places, would you ever consider putting it here?  Unless the building is a 9 story homeless shelter.  :unsure:

I believe the developer is the guy who owns the building on the corner, with the mural on it. 

3 hours ago, x99 said:

I agree. Horrible location. Some might call it pioneering. I call it crazy. 

Joe

I don't know that I agree, I think that could be more great infill in that area depending on what it is.  It may look pretty decent standing across the street from all of the Brookstone Apartments there.  GRBJ talks about it going before the HPC soon, but again there is no indication as to what the intended use is.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2017 at 4:42 PM, GRDadof3 said:

That alley is actually REALLY cool, but yes, it smells like dumpster in parts of it. 

Well I feel stupid, I was on Commerce the other day and the new patio at Stella's is on the Commerce side, going in this little loading dock area. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9616145,-85.6691839,3a,75y,269.39h,73.43t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sqlHECcOSJ-PonM3BLwWCyA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DqlHECcOSJ-PonM3BLwWCyA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D159.69366%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

So does this just mean that both of these sites will sit nasty and gross for another year (or more?) Talk about eye-sores. 

https://mibiz.com/news/design-build/item/24952-pair-of-division-avenue-projects-unsuccessful-in-securing-state-development-incentives

I'd rather have them sit a bit longer instead of be re-used in a short-sighted way. 

Joe

• Like 1