New Construction and Renovations in the Heartside District

MJLO

4 hours ago, x99 said:

Where is the next-closest liquor store?  That's the real question to be dealt with.  The party store at Franklin and Division?   Is there really an issue though with other areas relocating homeless people to Grand Rapids?  If so, I believe there is a tried and true solution to that:  

Zellar's would be the next-closest I think

9 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

The biggest problem is that we attract too many homeless people from outside of GR. Lots of towns will hand Greyhound tickets to their homeless and send them here because they know these services will just not ask questions.

Is this true? If so, proof? Not trying to be snarky. Just trying to see if this is fact or opinion. 

Joe

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

Is this true? If so, proof? Not trying to be snarky. Just trying to see if this is fact or opinion. 

Joe

Can Grand Rapids end homelessness?: Part 3, A destination city for homelessness

http://www.rapidgrowthmedia.com/features/homelesssnesspart3.aspx

Glad I remotely remembered the article! But yeah, a lot of it is confirmation of the stuff I've heard for years.

6 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

Can Grand Rapids end homelessness?: Part 3, A destination city for homelessness

http://www.rapidgrowthmedia.com/features/homelesssnesspart3.aspx

Glad I remotely remembered the article! But yeah, a lot of it is confirmation of the stuff I've heard for years.

Add this to the top 10 lists GR appears on? :) thanks for the link. Interesting article. 

Joe

47 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

Add this to the top 10 lists GR appears on? :) thanks for the link. Interesting article. 

Joe

Yes it is a thing, but it's a little more complex than that and GR is not a uniquely large homeless destination.  The Guardian did a deep dive in 2017 on cities nationwide sending homeless to other cities nationwide.  It's a big network of cities and non-profits working together, and the results are not always bad (though certainly not always good either, as the article examines).  But the point is, there are no homeless people in other cities huddling around saying "Let's go to Grand Rapids. Their Winters are terrible and I hear they have a street with three shelters.  Paradise!"  More like GR is getting bigger, and big cities inherently attract transient people.

The Guardian article didn't provide data by city, but they do show a visual map (they have a cool animation but below is just a screenshot). GR's bubble is pretty commensurate for its size. 

946079660_ScreenShot2019-01-08at4_05_24PM.png.4c19ad268d28c072292baf8c1dfa3b9a.png

Edited by RegalTDP
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RegalTDP said:

Yes it is a thing, but it's a little more complex than that and GR is not a uniquely large homeless destination.  The Guardian did a deep dive in 2017 on cities nationwide sending homeless to other cities nationwide.  It's a big network of cities and non-profits working together, and the results are not always bad (though certainly not always good either, as the article examines).  But the point is, there are no homeless people in other cities huddling around saying "Let's go to Grand Rapids. Their Winters are terrible and I hear they have a street with three shelters.  Paradise!"  More like GR is getting bigger, and big cities inherently attract transient people.

The Guardian article didn't provide data by city, but they do show a visual map (they have a cool animation but below is just a screenshot). GR's bubble is pretty commensurate for its size. 

Wow, that's cool. Looks like SLC is a destination (red dot) city? 

7 hours ago, discgrab21 said:

Zellar's would be the next-closest I think

Zellar’s at least enforces a dress code and monitors who goes in and out, the closest store to Lucky’s is definitely the Franklin Big Save. I’ve lived in that neighborhood for awhile, that store is horrible, plus I’m sure you’re all familiar with the string of murders that occurred in the parking lot over the last 5 - 7 years...

13 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Wow, that's cool. Looks like SLC is a destination (red dot) city? 

The screenshot doesn’t clearly indicate, but actually the red dots are the biggest exporters.  The blue bubbles represent how much he city takes in.  So SLC is both a big sender and a big destination.

Edited by RegalTDP

2 minutes ago, RegalTDP said:

The screenshot doesn’t clearly indicate, but actually the red dots are the biggest exporters.  So SLC is both a big sender and a big destination.

Ahh, alright. That makes sense. I was going say that it seems odd that Key West is a destination for importing. If there's any place to be homeless though, you'd think someone would choose a tropical island over the cold winters of northern cities.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not sure where but someone had asked about this strange building on Cherry behind Degage'. Apparently it's being demolished so Degage' can expand. 

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2019/03/grand-rapids-homeless-shelter-plans-building-demolition-6m-expansion.html

Seems to me that the answer to homelessness is not "build more homeless shelters." 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

19 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Not sure where but someone had asked about this strange building on Cherry behind Degage'. Apparently it's being demolished so Degage' can expand. 

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2019/03/grand-rapids-homeless-shelter-plans-building-demolition-6m-expansion.html

Seems to me that the answer to homelessness is not "build more homeless shelters." 

ZAP asked about it in the "Hey, what's that?" thread:

On 12/5/2018 at 10:23 PM, ZAP! said:

Does anyone know the story with this Victorian holdout on Cherry?

Screenshot_2018-12-05-22-20-01.jpg

3 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

I know in the scheme of things, $6 million isn't a ton in the way of housing, but imagine how many people Well House could have housed for that money.

Can I give you a "boom?" I wish there was a "boom" emoticon. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So I posted this in "hey what's that?", but not sure anyone saw it.  It looks like there is work going on in the retail space of  240 Ionia.  Anyone have the scoop?

20 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

...including the HPC just letting them off another building in an area that seems to eaisly lose buildings in exchange for truly low-class developments or parking lots! 

WTF is with the HPC?  Honestly, after all the whoop-de-doo with getting all up in the design of 10 Ionia, to just wave their hands and say, “oh sure, no problem.  Go ahead and knock down that brick Victorian built in the 1800’s.  No historical significance to that building whatsoever.”  Kind of makes you wonder about the actual agenda of that entity.

Edited by wingbert
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, wingbert said:

WTF is with the HPC?  Honestly, after all the whoop-de-doo with getting all up in the design of 10 Ionia, to just wave their hands and say, “oh sure, no problem.  Go ahead and knock down that brick Victorian built in the 1800’s.  No historical significance to that building whatsoever.”  Kind of makes you wonder about the actual agenda of that entity.

Found this:

image.png.de751d02d1785066682208ee22c531c8.png

• Like 1