New Construction and Renovations in the Heartside District

MJLO

Posh Nails and Spa appears to be taking the ground floor of 38 Commerce at the Northwest corner. They're seeking approval for signage from the HPC. They have another location in Metro Health Village in Wyoming, from what I can find online.  38 Commerce was built in 2010 and that ground floor corner has been vacant ever since.  As most of you recall, they were trying to get a restaurant in that space to no avail. 

297921716_Poshnailsandspa.thumb.JPG.6d1b7a117473dc5a5254f3ae316d7589.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

Posh Nails and Spa appears to be taking the ground floor of 38 Commerce at the Northwest corner. They're seeking approval for signage from the HPC. They have another location in Metro Health Village in Wyoming, from what I can find online.  38 Commerce was built in 2010 and that ground floor corner has been vacant ever since.  As most of you recall, they were trying to get a restaurant in that space to no avail. 

297921716_Poshnailsandspa.thumb.JPG.6d1b7a117473dc5a5254f3ae316d7589.JPG

And for a while Tami Vandenberg was trying to open a market there. It'll be nice for that corner to be active. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
22 hours ago, MJLO said:

Would they allow a structure to go under the freeway?  Or just the open portion of the lot?

Probably just parking. MDOT has a ROW for the s-curve and they wouldn't want to get into a court battle if they ever decide to rebuild or demolish the s-curve. I do think this is a cool spot though. I've wondered what they were going to do with it the few times I've been over there taking pictures. 

13 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Probably just parking. MDOT has a ROW for the s-curve and they wouldn't want to get into a court battle if they ever decide to rebuild or demolish the s-curve. I do think this is a cool spot though. I've wondered what they were going to do with it the few times I've been over there taking pictures. 

Accesskent shows private ownership under the highway. IIRC, this was RR yard / tracks there for the Fruit Grower Express cars and inbound refrigerated  meat cars (Swift?). MDOT probably was only able to acquire aerial rights back then. It would be interesting to read the document. (Maybe I can find it Monday:) )

Edited by Raildude's dad

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
11 minutes ago, walker said:

TV news story about the new small apartments at One South (41 S. Division):

WOODTV ONE SOUTH APTS

floor plans

I had a studio apartment that size including garage parking in Heritage Hill for sixty dollars a month, but that was fifty years ago.

Bonus! You can lay in bed AND reach the fridge. :)

Joe

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

Wood TV 8 published a list of new projects in GR.

Most of them have been posted here, however I didn't realize the sale of Gardellas had gone through. It will become The Meat Up Gastropub. Plans for a roof top area if the business does well.

I noticed that too and I hadn't remembered seeing it anywhere else. That's a great spot for a rooftop space. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/20/2020 at 9:12 PM, ChevalierNoir said:

Already moved.

Yes, Rockford wants to activate it for public use.  Hopefully a restaurant.  All the old nightclub bones are still in-tact.  Meijier was using a lot of it. 

That area could use just a few more spots.   If you had a quality operator there to sandwich in-between Max's and New Hotel Mertens and Luna  (plus the few others that are there) then that could really be a juicy part of town.   ...of course in many respects it already is.

Edited by GRain

11 hours ago, GRain said:

Yes, Rockford wants to activate it for public use.  Hopefully a restaurant.  All the old nightclub bones are still in-tact.  Meijier was using a lot of it. 

That area could use just a few more spots.   If you had a quality operator there to sandwich in-between Max's and New Hotel Mertens and Luna  (plus the few others that are there) then that could really be a juicy part of town.   ...of course in many respects it already is.

There used to be a club/lounge/restaurant there at one time when they first built that building. It was split into 2 spaces and the owner's name was Cory something. It was really poorly designed and the vibe was weird.

2 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

There used to be a club/lounge/restaurant there at one time when they first built that building. It was split into 2 spaces and the owner's name was Cory something. It was really poorly designed and the vibe was weird.

I liked the one in the back - Moxie? Very swanky, table service sort of bar (it always reminds me of episodes of Parks and Rec). The restaurant on the Ionia side was odd, and I remember when the door opened, the whole restaurant got blasted by arctic air. 

It'll be interesting to see if they redo a lot of that building configuration. From what I've heard, I don't know if the shared office concept is really being used. I don't think Meijer, Amway or Wolverine have a big presence (though I know there are other tenants) anymore.

Joe

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...