New Construction and Renovations in the Heartside District

MJLO

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
3 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

Progress on the Degege expansion. Obviously not expecting it to seamlessly blend the architecture of the two buildings it's going to connect, but I do like that it is going to create a nice even street wall, and is actually facing the street and isnt just some wall connecting two buildings together.

20210814_145416.thumb.jpg.eb9901f2716d165e853bd14f1c59a20a.jpg

20210806_150747.thumb.jpg.f815b5ddd08c5a4611294e4e80224126.jpg

20210806_150746.thumb.jpg.f166b438d4ccda4489da064f3a00b661.jpg

The homeless love their seamless street walls. More surface to pee on. 

• 4 months later...

The building J. gardella’s was unsold, new restaurant concept coming soon:

https://mibiz.com/sections/real-estate-development/former-j-gardella-s-tavern-building-sold-for-1-1m-new-restaurant-planned-202112161901

I drove by Social Misfits today, which is the restaurant in the space next to Wahlburgers. I have to at, I thought the waffles and cocktails concept seemed a little strange, but from what I could see, and the photos I’ve seen floating around, it looks like a very cool new addition to downtown. I hope they do well! And, Wahlburgers was packed!

Joe

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

I can't read the MIBIZ link because I'm not a subscriber and they say I've used up my free clicks.  The WOODTV link below probably covers much of the same info but towards the bottom it contains a number of old photos I found interesting of the building and some of its history through the years:

WOODTV: new-plans-for-former-j-gardellas-tavern-in-grand-rapids

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

The building J. gardella’s was unsold, new restaurant concept coming soon:

https://mibiz.com/sections/real-estate-development/former-j-gardella-s-tavern-building-sold-for-1-1m-new-restaurant-planned-202112161901

I drove by Social Misfits today, which is the restaurant in the space next to Wahlburgers. I have to at, I thought the waffles and cocktails concept seemed a little strange, but from what I could see, and the photos I’ve seen floating around, it looks like a very cool new addition to downtown. I hope they do well! And, Wahlburgers was packed!

Joe

Wahlburgers is always packed. I, personally, will never go I hope because I have some irrational hatred of Mark Wahlberg. No idea why.

But I'm hyped for Social Misfits. There's also a new place going in on the ground floor next to Trellis. Says it's tacos, whiskey, and tequila.

Edited by Cookin_peacocks
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I tend to agree. mark wahlburg seems to be a bit of an idiot. I went for lunch this week, and it’s nice. Not awe inspiring, but good atmosphere. I think it’ll be a big draw for people that like chains (it’s much better than a TGIF, lots of local beer, etc). It’s a great addition and I’m sure it’ll be packed on arena nights. 

Social Misfits looks amazing. Like you are in a whole different city. !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I tend to agree. mark wahlburg seems to be a bit of an idiot. I went for lunch this week, and it’s nice. Not awe inspiring, but good atmosphere. I think it’ll be a big draw for people that like chains (it’s much better than a TGIF, lots of local beer, etc). It’s a great addition and I’m sure it’ll be packed on arena nights. 

Social Misfits looks amazing. Like you are in a whole different city. !

The chain seems really cringey. Like the "thanks for having us, Grand Rapids" pictures were just super lame. I dunno. No reason for it, just not a fan at all.

I never really had any opinions about Mark Wahlburg one way or the other. My wife was hired to photograph him and his brother Paul (the head chef for Wahlburgers) for an event in Las Vegas. She said they were both incredibly nice people and they thanked her many times for her hard work. Paul actually sent us a video message congratulating us on our wedding (we got married a couple months after the photoshoot). So they seem like pretty genuine people and I'll definitely give their restaurant a shot, after the crowds calm down a bit. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

I never really had any opinions about Mark Wahlburg one way or the other. My wife was hired to photograph him and his brother Paul (the head chef for Wahlburgers) for an event in Las Vegas. She said they were both incredibly nice people and they thanked her many times for her hard work. Paul actually sent us a video message congratulating us on our wedding (we got married a couple months after the photoshoot). So they seem like pretty genuine people and I'll definitely give their restaurant a shot, after the crowds calm down a bit. 

And I love hearing things like that. Like I said, I have no idea why I have such a strong negative opinion of him; it's totally irrational.

2 hours ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

And I love hearing things like that. Like I said, I have no idea why I have such a strong negative opinion of him; it's totally irrational.

It might be because he always gets typecast in films as a type A douchebag. Which might not be anything like he is in real life. I really have no idea. 

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

St. Mary’s is proposing a pretty massive development on a bunch of their surface lots. 9 stories, office space, 200 apartments, 1000 parking space.s

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2022/10/trinity-health-saint-marys-eyes-large-housing-retail-redevelopment-in-grand-rapids.html

548D4F46-2D75-4132-9116-E7966A12BC2A.webp

I was just going to post this myself, just couldn't decide which thread to post it in. 

If they are depending on getting this started with some of the county's share of the pork from the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funds, they've got a lot of competition.  According to this other article in the link below, the feedback from the county commissioners on the various proposals for the ARPS funds showed that 13 of the 18 commissioners rated Trinity Health Saint Mary’s proposal as a “low priority.”

I don't know who or what the Michigan News Time is or how credible they are.  I do know that based on errors in their article they are badly in need of a copy editor:

MICHIGAN NEWS TIME: trinity-health-saint-mary-is-considering-a-major-residential-retail-redevelopment-in-grand-rapids

No matter what happens, it's nice to see that the Trinity people are thinking about a higher use for their bank of surface lots. 

Edited by walker
needed a little copy editing myself.
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, walker said:

I don't know who or what the Michigan News Time is or how credible they are.  I do know that based on errors in their article they are badly in need of a copy editor:

MICHIGAN NEWS TIME: trinity-health-saint-mary-is-considering-a-major-residential-retail-redevelopment-in-grand-rapids

No matter what happens, it's nice to see that the Trinity people are thinking about a higher use for their bank of surface lots. 

How can you be suspicious with a byline like "user"?  You don't trust user's reporting? :D

image.png.a27264b4b6766e7eb98cff87be7f7fb3.png

This whole article is literally copy & pasted from MLive.  I don't know how you came across this site, but it seems to just be a blog that reposts news from other organizations.

Fantastic that they are looking at options to develop those surface lots, but this seems really undercooked at the moment - and possibly thrown together to meet the ARPA grant deadline. They haven't met with the City to discuss planning/zoning processes, their list of potential funding sources is a mile wide and an inch deep, and the design/uses are vague and not well though out (why would you put office above residential instead of the other way around?)

BUT if this is a sign that they are committed to improving their neighborhood, rebuilding the urban fabric, and providing things like housing, child care, and groceries instead of just parking lots, that's great news. They just clearly need the time to get the details figured out. 

• Like 1