Jump to content

New Construction and Renovations in the Heartside District


MJLO

Recommended Posts


  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
3 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

Progress on the Degege expansion. Obviously not expecting it to seamlessly blend the architecture of the two buildings it's going to connect, but I do like that it is going to create a nice even street wall, and is actually facing the street and isnt just some wall connecting two buildings together.

20210814_145416.thumb.jpg.eb9901f2716d165e853bd14f1c59a20a.jpg

20210806_150747.thumb.jpg.f815b5ddd08c5a4611294e4e80224126.jpg

20210806_150746.thumb.jpg.f166b438d4ccda4489da064f3a00b661.jpg

The homeless love their seamless street walls. More surface to pee on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...

The building J. gardella’s was unsold, new restaurant concept coming soon:

https://mibiz.com/sections/real-estate-development/former-j-gardella-s-tavern-building-sold-for-1-1m-new-restaurant-planned-202112161901

I drove by Social Misfits today, which is the restaurant in the space next to Wahlburgers. I have to at, I thought the waffles and cocktails concept seemed a little strange, but from what I could see, and the photos I’ve seen floating around, it looks like a very cool new addition to downtown. I hope they do well! And, Wahlburgers was packed!

Joe

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

I can't read the MIBIZ link because I'm not a subscriber and they say I've used up my free clicks.  The WOODTV link below probably covers much of the same info but towards the bottom it contains a number of old photos I found interesting of the building and some of its history through the years:

WOODTV: new-plans-for-former-j-gardellas-tavern-in-grand-rapids

  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

The building J. gardella’s was unsold, new restaurant concept coming soon:

https://mibiz.com/sections/real-estate-development/former-j-gardella-s-tavern-building-sold-for-1-1m-new-restaurant-planned-202112161901

I drove by Social Misfits today, which is the restaurant in the space next to Wahlburgers. I have to at, I thought the waffles and cocktails concept seemed a little strange, but from what I could see, and the photos I’ve seen floating around, it looks like a very cool new addition to downtown. I hope they do well! And, Wahlburgers was packed!

Joe

Wahlburgers is always packed. I, personally, will never go I hope because I have some irrational hatred of Mark Wahlberg. No idea why.

 

But I'm hyped for Social Misfits. There's also a new place going in on the ground floor next to Trellis. Says it's tacos, whiskey, and tequila.

Edited by Cookin_peacocks
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


I tend to agree. mark wahlburg seems to be a bit of an idiot. I went for lunch this week, and it’s nice. Not awe inspiring, but good atmosphere. I think it’ll be a big draw for people that like chains (it’s much better than a TGIF, lots of local beer, etc). It’s a great addition and I’m sure it’ll be packed on arena nights. 

Social Misfits looks amazing. Like you are in a whole different city. !

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I tend to agree. mark wahlburg seems to be a bit of an idiot. I went for lunch this week, and it’s nice. Not awe inspiring, but good atmosphere. I think it’ll be a big draw for people that like chains (it’s much better than a TGIF, lots of local beer, etc). It’s a great addition and I’m sure it’ll be packed on arena nights. 

Social Misfits looks amazing. Like you are in a whole different city. !

The chain seems really cringey. Like the "thanks for having us, Grand Rapids" pictures were just super lame. I dunno. No reason for it, just not a fan at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I never really had any opinions about Mark Wahlburg one way or the other. My wife was hired to photograph him and his brother Paul (the head chef for Wahlburgers) for an event in Las Vegas. She said they were both incredibly nice people and they thanked her many times for her hard work. Paul actually sent us a video message congratulating us on our wedding (we got married a couple months after the photoshoot). So they seem like pretty genuine people and I'll definitely give their restaurant a shot, after the crowds calm down a bit. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

I never really had any opinions about Mark Wahlburg one way or the other. My wife was hired to photograph him and his brother Paul (the head chef for Wahlburgers) for an event in Las Vegas. She said they were both incredibly nice people and they thanked her many times for her hard work. Paul actually sent us a video message congratulating us on our wedding (we got married a couple months after the photoshoot). So they seem like pretty genuine people and I'll definitely give their restaurant a shot, after the crowds calm down a bit. 

And I love hearing things like that. Like I said, I have no idea why I have such a strong negative opinion of him; it's totally irrational.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

And I love hearing things like that. Like I said, I have no idea why I have such a strong negative opinion of him; it's totally irrational.

It might be because he always gets typecast in films as a type A douchebag. Which might not be anything like he is in real life. I really have no idea. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.