New Construction and Renovations in the Heartside District

MJLO

39 minutes ago, RegalTDP said:

How can you be suspicious with a byline like "user"?  You don't trust user's reporting? :D

image.png.a27264b4b6766e7eb98cff87be7f7fb3.png

This whole article is literally copy & pasted from MLive.  I don't know how you came across this site, but it seems to just be a blog that reposts news from other organizations.

That was my initial thought.  It certainly looks like an automated cut and paste but there are several errors in the Michigan News Time article that aren't currently in the Mlive article.  Maybe they pasted from an earlier Mlive version.  For example: St. Mary's Cathedral   rather than just St. Mary's and Hartside rather than Heartside.  The errors jumped out at me more than the fact that they are almost word for word otherwise.  Sometimes two news organizations will have almost identical stories because they are working from the same handouts and presentations and they are acting more as stenographers than reporters.  Reading it again though, I think you are right.   

2 hours ago, Prankster said:

Grocery store”…ah yes, the ambiguous promise that all developers make, but rarely produce. 

The McConnell project specifically talks about making a grocery store economically feasible by adding new mid-market residents [aka: customers] which is a much more honest statement.

https://urbangr.org/TheMcConnellTheFirstTODDevelopmentInGRMaybe

1 hour ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

Though some here sound very skeptical 

I'm pumped that they are even open to something like this, because I figured those parking lots would be there for decades. But it doesn't seem imminent because it doesn't seem to have the necessary legwork done to start construction in the next 1-2 years. But I could totally see a crane in the air in the middle of the decade. 

• Like 1

While I'm glad they hav e somewhat of a plan for the area, I'll believe it when I see it.

The cynical part of me just thinks this is scheme to get more parking.  Promise all of this, build the ramp first, then say, "well the rest isn't feasible, sorry"

Also, the county commissioners polled this as "low priority" so it probably won't get the covid funding.

Edited by Jonesey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
42 minutes ago, Zads said:

I think this is the right spot for this article. The Harris Building has new owners and they want to get retail and restaurant into the building.

https://www.crainsgrandrapids.com/news/real-estate/new-owners-hope-to-land-restaurant-retail-at-132-year-old-division-avenue-building/

I had no idea that the place had basically emptied. A few years back it seemed to be doing so well. Even was a nice ArtPrize venue.

But I suppose "SoDiv" as a whole has been on a bit of a decline the past few years.

• Like 1