New Construction and Renovations in the Heartside District

MJLO

I heard/read somewhere the automated system replaces the need for a live person at the gate to take your money. The gate will have a way to accept cash, coins, debit and credit cards for payment before letting you exit the ramp.

Does the Kinko's surface lot have one of these gates? If so, I wonder if it is working well for them.

Kinko has an autogate, and for a while you had to have it validated, or something. Spits out a ticket upon arrival. If memory serves (I've only ridden past it) there's no way to put $$ in.

It's only there to keep out the riffraff hotel guests and arena patrons.

• 1 month later...

Don't know where else to put this...

Fountain Street Church is collecting items for "welcome baskets" to be given to new residents of Dwelling Place. Suggested items include your basic bathroom necessities (towels, toothbrushes, soap). It's been interesting watching these items come in (mostly in Fred bags), and yesterday I met a basket-seeking new resident who proudly showed off his keys!

... please join us after church on March 4, at 12:30 P.M. in Room 109, when we will collect and assemble items in "Dwelling

Place" baskets and eat pizza. Please R.S.V.P. to Judy Botts by March 1, [email protected], or (616) 241-1542, so there is enough pizza for all. We will collect a contribution for this pizza lunch on March 4. ...

Chris Knape has some interesting updates on the Commerce Street apartment projects at Knape's Corner.

I have to side with the HPC on this. To tear down the old Maxie's Building for no definitive development plan, just to stage construction materials for the renovation across the street, is not a good enough reason. I still think that building should be saved, despite the mold problem inside. Why are we continuing to tear down buildings with character, when we have 9 Million square feet of parking spaces we can use for "staging"?

Those developers were totally trying to pull a fast one.

Tear down a building with the "promise" of developing it at a later time? Yeah right!

Fast forward 2 years after making zero effort to do anything with the land, they put on a big act where they toss up their hands and claim they cant do anything with it because of a soft market or some such BS.

It gets turned into a parking lot to conveniently service their renovated structure across the street.

Yeah, I thought that was a pretty lame one. Tear it down so we can park our trucks and shipments in there. Since this is a renovation, would it require a large staging area anyway?

I agree. Unless someone wants to build something significantly better, Maxie's should stay. I have never driven by and thought "my god that is an awful building".

Joe

Chris Knape has some interesting updates on the Commerce Street apartment projects at Knape's Corner.

I have to side with the HPC on this. To tear down the old Maxie's Building for no definitive development plan, just to stage construction materials for the renovation across the street, is not a good enough reason. I still think that building should be saved, despite the mold problem inside. Why are we continuing to tear down buildings with character, when we have 9 Million square feet of parking spaces we can use for "staging"?

This renovation and the Kelsey Apt. complex do look great. I hope this building is piss stain resistant. [Commence fighting]

;)

What a difference. Looks like they still have a few touches needed around the ground level. You can also see to the left the back patios of the other portions of the Kelsey Apt complex (the green and gold buildings a few posts up^^)

271240772_fe1cd8cd41_b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Our little remote-controlled buddy is now working on the ramp going up on Commerce:

429317694_e5647b0d74_b.jpg

That thing is cool.

In looking at the rendering above again, it really is disappointing that they couldn't have added at least one retail space on the corner (like Leo's in the Monroe Center ramp). If not the whole ground floor retail, at least a portion of it retail (30 - 50%?). Same with the Marriott ramp on Campau. At least add life to the corners. -_-

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates on this thread's original parking lot reference? The two lots between commerce and division on each side of the alley? I park in the alley now (leased for my loft) and if the city puts ramps there I'm not sure where I'd be parking. I'm sure the city lots won't be the low $25/mo I pay currently. Then again, I won't have to tow the cars that take my spot every night - ahem, it says "private parking" right in front of you!! :angry:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone, anywhere, know what is going on with this garage? They keep tinkering away at it (it now has new exterior doors) and it has a construction sign of some company out of Chicago (Prairie Construction maybe?).

497903718_21be96e0d8.jpg

It's supposedly going to become a restaurant but i can't for the life of me remember what restaurant. I need to pay better attention sometimes.

It's supposedly going to become a restaurant but i can't for the life of me remember what restaurant. I need to pay better attention sometimes.

:lol: That's OK. Thanks.

If so, with this, the new restaurant at Fulton/Ionia, and the new one in the ground floor of 70 Ionia, the restaurant scene downtown is getting filled up.